It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Obama Deliver Israel-Palestine Peace?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

"U.S. Plan: Biweekly Meetings, Peace in One Year The Jerusalem Post's Hilary Leila Krieger writes, "US Mideast envoy George Mitchell on Tuesday night stressed the US belief in the possibility of the sides reaching an agreement within a year. ... He also began to sketch out the American perspective of how talks would proceed, embracing Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s suggestion that he meet personally with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas every two weeks."

This is unfortunately a total farce as their can be no peace without Hamas involvement. Since Hamas is hell bent on Israels destruction thats no going to happen.

On the other side, Netanyahu will not be the PM that establishes a Palestinian State. These are the deal breakers that Israel is counting on.

1. Israeli control of all borders

2. No right of return for the Diaspora Palestinians

3. East Jerusalem as part of Palestine

4. Israel moving back to the 1967 armistice lines

5. Israeli control of Palestinian water.

6. Israels insistance on having the right to fly over Palestine at will

If these don't work Israel will do something to derail the negotiations as will Hamas. Seems sadly there is little hope for peace.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
"For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them,..." (1 Thessalonians 5:3)

That keeps coming to mind these days!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
It's only my personal opinion but much compromise on the behalf of the Palestinian people will be made in order for such peace to be made. I think there will be a turn of tides and Hamas will be demonized by both sides in order to get that peace as well.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
No, it won't happen.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

Yep, Obama "the renegade" will have a major hand in creating a peace treaty in the middle east I think.

Why do I think this? Because I know what he is, im sure he does too.

Just my opinion.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

Hamas is not, as you say, hell bent on Israel's destruction. There's a bit of a confusion here and I don't blame you for thinking that. It is in the official Hamas charter, that their ultimate goal as a political entity is to re-acquire the total land of Greater Israel. This is undeniable, it's there black and white.

But - when you look at what they've been saying repeatedly, in previous attempts at negotiations, they exhibit a powerful and legitimate attempt at compromise. At every turn however, Israel has either ignored or sabotaged the peace agreements.

The reason why these recent peace talks will not work, is not because Hamas is being stubborn - it is because they are the REAL and ONLY LEGITIMATE political body representing Palestine, and are being side-lined. It's a pathetic attempt at Israel installing a puppet dictator - Mahmoud Abbas - without the consent of the Palestinian people.

Every time you hear Mahmoud Abbas, you should think - illegitimate scumbag sellout who has no business being anywhere other than in a prison cell for his involvement in Operation Cast Lead. It was swept under the rug, but he was caught on tape arguing with Tzipi Livni and Ehud Barak, demanding that they escalate the violence of Operation Cast Lead so he could look good crying foul.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I do not know a lot about the Palestinians and the Israelis. However, one thing that I do understand is military and political setups. I believe that “Their Own Nation” is exactly what the Palestinians do NOT want. Why? Because then they could legally be utterly destroyed as we have done not once, but on many occasions. Iraq, Afghanistan, Panama, Granada, each of these countries was taken over due to the “Criminal Actions” of their governments. I believe that the Palestinians fully know that “Independence” would be suicide.

They will (in my opinion) therefore always make up some demand or excuse NOT to sign any accord which gives them their independence. Remember that all the world is looking for an excuse to invade Iran, and Iranian military support of arms and weapons to an independent Palestinian nation could very well be the excuse they would need.

This entire affair bespeaks of a setup to me. But I don't think the Palestinians are foolish enough to take the bait, no matter how much they have been publicly crying for their own state. As citizens of Israel their crimes are slated as individual, but as a nation, their crimes would be the crimes of a nation and therefor war could be waged upon the innocent and the guilty alike. There will be no independence of Palestine. Not in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

Iv seen this one too many times. Deal after deal, decade after decade, and at each instance theres always this 'hope' looming around... hope as in 'is this the deal breaker' 'is this when peace comes to the middle east'.

All I know is that its going to take more than just a 'deal' to get something moving towards peace and possible a one state solution. Years of successful deals is what will be required.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I was watching this last night, who writes his speeches? It seems that every speech he gives is written to sound so insightful and dramatic. It’s like every speech needs to be the best ever, and to me, well, it just makes him sound like a pious plonker.

As for the peace process, for it to work all sides need to desire it and I can’t see that at all. Mega fail as usual.

new topics

top topics

join