It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anyone Know Who Started the Tea Party?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The original Tea Party was started by a bunch of Bostonians because they were sick and tired of being sick and tired over taxes. Basically they were angry because they were getting taxed to death.

Same can be said about their modern day counterparts, only they are not just from Boston.

Op, in case you didn't know, when the Tea Parties first started catching on, those on the left would down play the efforts by calling it "astro turf" as opposed to true grass roots.
Heck, they even tried to start a movement of their own and called it the Coffee Party, but they forgot to boil the water.
Now it looks like there is plenty of tea brewing for everyone.

So to the Tea Party haters and deniers, I need to ask,
...Don't you wish your coffee was hot like Tea?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Just like in 1773 the taxes were being used to prop up a failing company, The East India Tea Company. That is why forty five tons of tea were dumped into Boston Harbor. Today's current tea party is not so much a defined party as it is a movement with reference to revolutionary history.

Should we dump 45 tons of GM parts into the Detroit water ways?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by cryingindian

The TEA Party was actually started by people who voted of John McCain and went completely bat [snip] crazy when he lost.

McCain supporters tell their stories while waiting for the McCain/Palin rally in Bethlehem, PA, October 8, 2008.

Wonder where the TEA Party movement started? Watch the video, that's where it started.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I was involved with the Ron Paul moneybomb (sent money and was on a mailing list) and I distinctly remember first hearing of the current tea party movement through an email from a Ron Paul supporter/organizer and it was almost certainly in 2008. so...I don't think the wiki or info articles are completely accurate. Just my recollection, but I could go back through my inbox (I never throw anything away) and check.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
How I recall it and how it actually played out may be two different things.

The Ron Paul folks may have referenced the Boston Tea Party, however, I think Rick Santelli's CNBC rant is what started the gatherings.

From that point it snowballed into anyone who is against the Obama administration or against the government in general. When Dick Armey started funding for the parties that's when it stopped being a grassroots movement and became 'astro-turf'. He was even kind enough to write The Tea Party Manifesto.

The movement itself really has no national objectives. Individual members know what they want, but the movement has become so large that I don't think they can all agree...well, except to oppose democrats.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I believe I found the origin of the tea party right here:
www.boston.com...

Enjoy!

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Check out this story in the New Yorker about who funds the Tea Party - Koch Industries - one of the top polluters in the US - also a family that wants to pay no taxes, make outrageous profits on the backs of hard working Americans, etc.

www.newyorker.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TeeParty

I don't understand why you've posted what you did. I asked who STARTED the Tea Party, not who funds it.

Are you against limited government? Against giving most of the Federal Government's power to the states where the government's power can be customized to their population's
local needs? Are you against protecting our borders, not from LEGAL immigration, but from illegal black-market underground crap?

Are you for taxes which, when collected and dispersed, go into the pockets of banking and defense industries?

Maybe you think the current state of America is great and you like the fact that the more power we give the federal Government, the less freedom you enjoy.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by cryingindian

The post about who funds the tea party is germane to the topic. Especially since you ask him a series of questions that clearly represent what the original tea party stood for, but no longer does. If you'd merely had an interest in who started the tea party, I found that information and posted it above with reputable source.

You're welcome. NOT.

We Ron Paul supporters are fully aware that the movement, at least in name, has been co-opted, funded by the mega-rich, and has become nothing more than a vehicle for the Republican establishment to rebrand their candidates (after the public image debacle of the neo-con Bush years) and sap the energy of a true grass roots rEVOLution.

I somewhat naively found your source, and let that go without comment. And then you take umbrage at someone's factual expose' of the less savory connections that have developed in the three years since? That makes no sense unless you are agenda driven, and attempting to tie the the current "tea party" back to its roots, which it no longer even resembles.

I think you were perfectly aware of "who started the tea party" and I refuse to be a part of you subterfuge. Good day, sir.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join