It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon considers preemptive strikes as part of cyber-defense strategy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Pentagon considers preemptive strikes as part of cyber-defense strategy

www.washingtonpost.com

The Pentagon is contemplating an aggressive approach to defending its computer systems that includes preemptive actions such as knocking out parts of an adversary's computer network overseas - but it is still wrestling with how to pursue the strategy legally.

The department is developing a range of weapons capabilities, including tools that would allow "attack and exploitation of adversary information systems" and that can "deceive, deny, disrupt, degrade and destroy" information and information systems, according to Defense Department budget documents.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
So they are pondering how to pursue the strategy legally? I'm sure they'll find a way.

In the mean time perhaps someone on ATS can enlighten me as to how a preemptive cyberstrike might be carried out?

Usual attacks on government and personal computers come with no warning, and if they are suggesting a country such as China, are they really considering shutting down or damaging the communication structure of an entire country, based only on the rumour of a threat?

Seems ludicrous to me, as such a strike could be as potentially devastating to a country's infrastructure as some good old fashioned conventional warfare!

'Some officials and experts say they doubt the technology exists to use such capabilities effectively, and they question the need for such measures when, they say, traditional defensive steps such as updating firewalls, protecting computer ports and changing passwords are not always taken.'

Well we all know Gary Mckinnon managed to apparently cause $50, 000 worth of damage with relative ease, merely by using basic passwords which were set as standard. With the intention of course of creating your own.

Mods feel free to close but I couldn't find this in my search. Cheers

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Another article for your consideration;

all247news.com...

So here's a question I have been wondering, does the US carry out cyber operations on other countries? If so how come we don't hear about this?

Seems to me that all we hear about in the news is attacks occurring on the US, originating from China, Iran etc.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Pre emptive war in cyberspace, what other Bush Doctrine will the Obama regime adopt.

Unless they are talking about sensing an attack or probe and sending out a response.

Oh well, I guess when the internet goes down, they have a perfectly legitimate excuse, the other guys did it, it was the only way to save the system.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

One of the key words used was to 'deceive'...this is a faily straightforward one..to spread propaganda, disinformation and create confusion and disrupt alliances.

Standard intel stuff really.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Wait till this happens, you'll see somehow they bypass the law or create a new law for it and name it something like as 'defence of cyber technology for the country'. And then preach to the country it’s for their benefits etc

How the hell can you predict the future? To perform a pre-emptive attack is not only dangerous it's stupidity. Bit like weapon of mass-destruction huh? They told the world they have evidence, proof that Iraq has WMD. To be honest, I sincerely believe the USA has more WMD then any other country (that’s my opinion, although anyone that can provide facts I’ll be happy to accept them). So next they are going to claim China has weapons of cyber-warfare.

Hold on a second, didn't they just say in that article state that they were developing a range of weapons including tools that would allow "attack and exploitation of adversary information systems"? Okay, in which case China or any other countries by all means, if US can do it, you guys feel free to take a 'pre-emptive' attack to protect your country.

It amazes me the hypocrisy of the Pentagon and USA government.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Hrm...

I thought that selling Microsoft products to the world was a preemptive strike against their collective computer infrastructures...

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
are they really considering shutting down or damaging the communication structure of an entire country, based only on the rumour of a threat?

Well they've gone to two wars based on rumour (some would say even less than that) and killed thousands of people, I'm sure no one will feel that guilty about knocking out some networks.

Pre-emptive. What an interesting word. Orwellian doesn't even go half way to describing this word and the damage it has caused to the world. Someone needs to take out parts of the USA who band this term around as an excuse for doing what they please. Oh but wait, they're infallible right?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
A thought comes to mind, which I'll express using Presidential quotes.

As Lincoln said

Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose—and you allow him to make war at pleasure.

And as Eisenhower said

Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing.

And, again, as Lincoln said

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

"attack and exploitation of adversary information systems"

Like wikileaks?
With Terrorists as the Enemy you have to be in the defense department's pocket or you face being targeted/

[edit on 8/29/2010 by iforget]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
"Pentagon considers preemptive strikes as part of cyber-defense strategy"
aka
We stealth bombed those foreign countries because we have Weapons of Mass Delusion and were pretty damn sure they were about to send a virus that would erase your internet from the air. Be grateful you can still Google this.

"Little people, why can't we all just get along?"
-Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

The problem is that the US possible future enemy will be taking note of this and will take measures to protect there assets and do what the US is looking to do in return . Also it is important that things such as physical security , data theft and preventing attacks that use social engineering are prevented from happening . Good counter intel is needed to prevent enemy agents from infiltrating the likes of server farms . Maybe if not Server Farms then backed up data needs to be stored in bomb proof bunkers .

It is crucial that people keep things in perceptive cyber attacks would not stop the Russian and Chinese or North Korean military's from predictable defeating there US counterparts . Cyber attacks cannot put a dent in China vast industrial capacity or deal with North Korea lower tech army .

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Cyber attacks cannot put a dent in China vast industrial capacity or deal with North Korea lower tech army.

Cyber attacks could potentially disorient temporarily the low-tech KPA because they are not overly dependent on technology like the U.S. Army, which should be finding fallback ways to fight a war in the situation they are robbed of their technological advantage.

top topics

join