It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Untapped Civilization

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Hello all, I came across something that i thought was pretty interesting the other day when i was supposed to be working. I didn't know that there is a group of people who were possibly the last untapped civilization left on the planet.

These people, called the Sentinelese come from North Sentinel Island which is one of the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal. These people are cut off from civilization. Could this be the galapagos islands for humans? I cant help but wonder if they have evolved any differently from people on the mainland.

The census workers in India tried to do a head count from the air, but only came up with 30 or 40 people. The article states that there is a high probability that there are many more inhabitants of North Sentenel Island.

Most of what is known about Sentinelese material culture is based on observations during contact attempts in the late 20th century.

These people DO NOT like outsiders. Which adds even more to the mystery of who they are. There was one interesting story of a time when civilized man tried to befriend these people. The researchers tryed to bribe them with gifts. They gave the Sentinelese a hog only for them to shoot and bury it. They gave them a green bucket and they became angry. However, a red bucket was introduced and they loved it. Perhaps they have affections for certain colors? They are also a very hostile people.

In 2006, Sentinelese archers killed two fishermen who were fishing illegally within range of the island, and drove off the helicopter that was sent to retrieve their bodies with a hail of arrows. To this date, their bodies remain unrecovered, although the downdraught from the helicopter's rotors at the time exposed the two fishermen, who had been buried in shallow graves by the Sentinelese.

Did I mention that these people DO NOT like outsiders? I cant help but wonder what these people beleve in (like a god or something?). Tribal life has always facinated me. One thing is for sure thogh, they deffinately have a beautiful place to stay.

I dont know about the lot of you, but I think I would deffinately leave this debt ridden society behind if I could move to a place like this and never have to worry about ANYONE ever again. So what ya' think ATS?

Wiki Article
Wiki Article

MessOnTheFED!

Edit to take out phoney pics.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by MessOnTheFED!]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Unfortunately there is no such thing as the noble savage,just bloody savage,they could be cannibals for all we know,idyllic island paradises are not always what they seem many an explorer ended up in the dinner pot.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

Cannibals...possibly.

But as the OP said, these people buried the two fisherman they killed. That shows some form of decency for the dead.

It's probably best if we just leave these people be. If you see them shooting arrows at your helicopter it's definetly a good sign that they don't want you around. It's their island, let them live their way of life in peace.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I don't think I want to go and mess up these fine folks stone age utopia! Especially with the whole "kill the outsiders" thing they've got working.

But I do want to thank you for posting this! I've spent half my might reading about this fascinating little island!

S&F!

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Untapped aye, ..... so what are we waiting for, .. lets tap it !!! wooohoooo I wonder what they think when they see planes or helicopters, I suppose the fear outweighs any curiosity they might have. Most of us would prolly shoot at UFO's too.

It's funny, Aliens probably look at us the way we look at these people, their probably like "" Disclose ourselves ?? those people are barbarians !! ""

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Exploration and colonization are not new concepts. Perhaps, some of our ancestors encountered them and set a bad example. As fascinating as I find this lost land (well to us at least, I'm sure they know exactly where they are
)

I can't help thinking perhaps they previously fought off the British, the Spanish, ooohhhh the Egyptians, who knows. Of course, I'm probably just romanticizing the situation, but who knows they are hostile, not just skidish but down right hostile. Maybe they learned not to make the same mistake twice.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Just a thought, but maybe, they know what the rest of civilization is like, and want to rid themselfs of the doom we are surely to bring to ourselfs. But it realy would be intresting to know about ther culture.

On a differnt note i would love to live secluded like that, i wouldnt have the stresses of normal life.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Yeah I remember reading about this island on cracked.com pretty interesting stuff. Definitely curious as to what beliefs these people have, they must have went crazy when they saw the helicopter for the first time.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
The Bay of Bengal ? India ?

Are the photo's with the red dude in it not from an Amazon tribe ?

Besides that...

Thank you for this great thread.

@ Interstellaburst

It's funny, Aliens probably look at us the way we look at these people, their probably like "" Disclose ourselves ?? those people are barbarians !! ""

I could not agree more.

[edit on 8/28/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
maybe they were like the Beothuk
The Beothuk were also known as the Ulno, the Skraelling and the Red Indians.

[Alternate spellings: Beathunk, Beothuck, and Betoukuag. Also called: Macquajeet (Mequaegit) (Micmac), Red Indians, Skraelling (Norse), and Ulno (Ulnobah) (Abenaki)]

[No one really knows how many there were in 1500. Some estimates are as high as 5,000, but 2,000 is probably closer to the truth. Only 400 were left in 1768, and by 1829 they were extinct. It would seem possible, however, that small groups of Beothuk crossed over into Labrador and merged with the Montagnais or Naskapi.]

www.manataka.org...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
WOW!...

I wonder what their culture is like...bet ya they're not cannibals..
because they buried the fishermen..

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Hoax- already discussed

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I remember reading about this months or even a year ago. This photo was a hoax. Pretty sure the tribe exists, but they dressed up and played this part for a photo shoot to try to stop logging.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Last untapped civilization you say?

They must have been like 'ITS FLYING
' when they saw the helicopter. But these people are probably not cannibals...I mean they buried the bodies. So they seem to be civilized... and obviously have respect for the deceased.

That'd be great if I could live on nice secluded island like that... then again. No video games for me... or ats.

I wonder what they're culture is like... or if they believe in a god, or gods. hmm, oh i could keep on going...

Anyways, great thread.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

This photo was a hoax.

Do you have a link?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Dreamer

buzz.yahoo.com...

Here's one link. There were others, but it seems most of the articles have disappeared.

CX

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Here you go...

The photographer who peddled photos of a lost Amazon tribe to news outlets worldwide has admitted they were part of a hoax intended to call attention to dangers posed by Brazil's logging industry.

The photos, one of which showed tribesmen aiming at an aircraft with their bows and arrows, were purportedly of warriors of a lost tribe near the Brazilian-Peruvian border.

But, as photographer Jose Carlos Meirelles recently explained, authorities have known about this particular tribe since 1910. Meirelles and the agency that released the photos wanted to make it appear they were member of a lost tribe in order to publicize the dangers the logging industry may have on the tribe.

Photographer: photos of lost Amazon tribe are fakes

However, other reports differ...

A few days after the photographs were made public, reports in the media surfaced that seemed to confirm the settlers' contention: the images were labeled "fakes," and widely dismissed as part of a "hoax," a "fraud," and a "PR joke."

Yet this perception was deeply misleading, and has had severe repercussions for the Indians in the region.

The Truth about the Lost Amazon Tribe "Hoax"

So they are known about, yet classified as uncontacted due to their decision not to have contact with the outside world.

Can't say i blame them.

CX.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Yes i remember this being posted a while back as well, it's a hoax i believe.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
There's some confusion here. The first two pics are from an Amazon tribe (allegedly faked pics). The third picture I believe is from the Sentinelese people.

Two more pics in this article

Earth still inhabits some uncontacted tribes. In the Amazon region, in New Guinea, ...

Nice thread, thanks

[edit on 28/8/10 by Movhisattva]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join