It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Soviet submarine shelter – come on in!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

With the decision to prolong the stay of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in Ukraine, the Bay of Balaklava, once home to a secret underground Soviet submarine base, has a chance for a second life. One of the most picturesque and oldest settlements in the region, it nowadays attracts thousands of tourists every summer – something completely impossible in Soviet times.
For more than four decades, one could not find the town of Balaklava on an average Soviet map. Officially, the place did not exist. All because of a special facility carved inside a mountain, and which was once one of the Soviet Union’s biggest secrets.

RT-Source

Not exactly secret any more...it's a tourist attraction

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I blew that facility up a number of times in F-19 Stealth Fighter but the buggers kept building it back up

Thanks for the video!

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaNine

Thanks for the video!

No problem, glad someone noticed it and liked it

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Quite an engineering Feat especially as it was started in the 50's...

I would have thought that an accurate 'shot' at it's entrance would have probably 'Closed' that secret dock down in the event of a war...?

What was disturbing was that it was 'looted' in the 90's and most of it's weapons and equipment were taken.... By whom, where and what exactly ??

Good filmset for a Bond / Bourne Movie I would think nowdays...

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

An interesting read. I'm not so convinced the base remained a secret however.
Link said it couldn't be used by the big missile boats now, or it would likely be funded still.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Something like that wouldn't have gone unnoticed. The US and UK had some good GRU agents in place that would have given good intel on it. Besides, the difference between the maps and the photos would have been obvious one would think.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I would love to go and see this place...it must be huge...to think all this was kept secret...it makes a person wonder what the heck came along that made this place obsolete.....what is the new facility like....

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Great fidn and hanks for posting this! I am for whatever reason extremely fascinated by underground bases. I would love to see this thing live.

Makes you wonder where the still active bases are and what they look like.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PPGrocks

I would love to go and see this place

You can...it's a tourist attraction

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
there mabey scrapes of info on one or two of the terminals/pc's who know's there mabey maps of where the other bases where they are ect ect who knows there mabey weapons there for a....

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
....a war who knows mabey it has the gear to take somthing on like the "bunker"(secert base) under the vice presidents house or whit house i forget...mabey even enough for a revoultion!lol i get ahead of my self too much but hey theres a chance just my 0.02

new topics

top topics

join