It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

River runs red in The Rockies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

Thank you - that's a lovely place and very interesting.

I was hoping to broaden the scope of this thread with more pictures of coloured bodies of water, but they seem to be a bit thin on the ground

I did find this about the emerald-coloured Teesta River but somehow, beautiful as it is, it's not as impressive as red rivers:

en.wikipedia.org...

Teesta River, East India:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/44be88ea901d.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 28-8-2010 by berenike]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have never seen river like that. But i saw a completely orange sky.

And it is some surrealistic view. As you are on some other planet.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Wouch! Tough crowd on this one.
Between shutter speed, mystery sediment, End of Times and digital manipulation it's getting tougher and tougher to convince people there are actually really amazing things that naturally occur in nature and are real and not an illusion...or maybe we really are living in a matrix.

I enjoyed the pictures and appreciated the comparison shot they threw in of the regular falls. I may have a picture or two related to this; will post if I find any. I assume you're not interested in a river colored green for St. Patty's Day?

Edit: I found a brief description about argolite.

Argolites is an extinct genus of cephalopod belonging to the Ammonite subclass.
wiki

[edit on 8/28/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Good catch, thanks. S&F

...I don't question that the photos are real - but I do wonder about the official explanation. "Argolite" ? Not to be found.

HOWEVER - a red growth (algae or fungus?) has been appearing off and on in my birdbath and dog's water dish since spring.

Could it be the same thing?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Two of the daily mail pics look weird due to the length of exposure-they are long exposure,which is why the water looks weird smooth.

Odd phenomenon,wonder if its good to drink?
Or can you turn it into fuel?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Three_moons

I may have a picture or two related to this; will post if I find any. I assume you're not interested in a river colored green for St. Patty's Day?

So long as it's been coloured by essence of shamrock and not photoshopped, post away

soficrow I had a quick look around for red algae and it can occur in aquariums, so I wonder if that's the same sort that would flourish in a bird bath or dog dish?

There was another type of red algae, but that is found in salt water so probably isn't likely to be the cause of the water in Cameron Falls turning red.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by berenike]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I found some information on argolite, argillite and aragonite. The first two appear to be the same with different spellings, which are organic in nature, as mentioned in my previous post. Aragonite is a mineral which doesn't appear to be the cause.

The Parks Canada site, which covers the Waterton Lakes/Cameron Falls area, mentions that it contains 1,500 million year old sedimentary rock that was exposed during the Lewis thrust fault event. Within the sedimentary rock, as a result of oxidized and unoxidized iron in the rock, are green and red layers called argillite which are derived from ancient sea beds and their iron rich muds. I also found mention of argolite deposits in Ontatio and Pennsylvania so it isn't limited to the Waterton Lakes area.

I found a couple of pictures along the way that supposedly show the argillite rock.
picture 1
picture 2

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join