It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's largest opium poppy grow-op busted in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Canada's largest opium poppy grow-op busted in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

home.mytelus.com

RCMP have arrested two men in connection with a poppy patch of hectare size ie 2.4 acres
The bust took place in the fraser valley area of the Lower Mainland of BC (within thirty miles of downtown Vancouver.)
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 8/27/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Here is the product of immigration from the asian countries influencing the underworld drug trade here in North America.
As domestic production of traditionally asian produced drugs,has increased due almost directly to imported talent so to speak.
This adds a signifigant piece to the already hopelessly complicated war on drugs which we seem to be loosing on all fronts.
They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result each time....well......?
Grows such as this will make the detection and eradication of illegal drug production just that much more difficult, as the know how spreads .
heretofore it has been mostly assumed that the asian climate was a major factor in the opium growing business.
I predict that more and more of these types of operations will be turning up in future.
With so many possibilities to grow a money crop in this economy the temptation will increase as well.....

home.mytelus.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 8/27/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
the article doesnt say anything about asians, and no, the vast majority of the world's opium is cultivated in afghanistan, not asia.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
There are fields full of opium poppies in the UK, used by the NHS to make morphine
ln fact as I understand you can even just grow them in your garden if you like, your just not allowed to try and make heroin out of them
link

[edit on 26-8-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I have heard it was illegal in BC before,

In Washington state it is legal to grow any type of poppy flower and to sell and buy dried pods... (they can't be grown like a garden, must be decorative around a yard or something..

It only becomes illegal if someone tries to harvest the "alkaloids" from them..

Many other states it is also surprisingly legal to do the same as above...

Canada has a total ban on that in any form I think...

3 hectares is about 7.45 acres... that is a pretty big field of poppies

[edit on 26-8-2010 by alienreality]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by iNTERPLANETARyR.O.M.E.O.

The article cited by the OP does mention Asians, though it does not speak to whether or not the growers were Asian.

"The biggest demand for doda is within the South Asian community, sometimes used within the trucking community or cab drivers."

Also, the last time I looked, Afghanistan was part of Asia.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Opium Poppy plants are legal in the United States,
You could buy the seeds at WalMart, Home Depot or any gardening store,
You could grow the plants, You just cant use them to make heroin,

They also put Poppy Seeds on Bagels....

Poppy plants also grow like weeds and wild fire,
Those people in BC Canada are never going to get rid of those plants,
Next year the crop coverage will probably triple in size

[edit on 26-8-2010 by SupremeKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by iNTERPLANETARyR.O.M.E.O.
the article doesnt say anything about asians, and no, the vast majority of the world's opium is cultivated in afghanistan, not asia.

Doh!

Location of Afghanistan

The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is a landlocked country in south-central Asia.

And you got stars from at least 2 other people who don't know where Afghanistan is ...

[edit on 8/26/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Apparently this op was all about producing opium for Asian interests in the Vancouver area. Considering the costs of getting opium (and refined opium, ala heroin) from Afghanistan to Vancouver, these guys must be making a killing in money.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
why the hate guys? opium is really.... just a beautiful red flower!

with sacs....

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awarenessiskey
why the hate guys? opium is really.... just a beautiful red flower!

with sacs....

Plus the poppy flower is only our national flower (since every patriotic Canadian wears it on Remembrance Day).

You know, just writing that sentence it just occurred to me that for such an important flower as the poppy is in Canadian culture, it is a serious crime if we ever get caught trying to grow one.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
You all missed the point...heretofore theres been little attempt to grow any sort of commercial poppy crop here in BC.
This represents, (one of the culprits was of asian decent i believe...)a new direction for already burgeoning drug production underground thats permeating society.
It also shows howa diverse culture tends to mix not only the best of all cultures, but the worst as well.....
there has always been the legal possibility to grow poppies in your garden here,(opium production being the illegal part)and many people do grow em.
There is a certain part of the public that spends time in the summer cruising around and ripping the bigger gardens for the stuff to make tea out of....(i personally knew some older junkies that did this inthe okanagan every summer,moving east to the kootnay valleys later in the season...this was years ago...poppies arent new.....
no #.....
When these type of endeavours get advertised by the media, it inevitably ends up with more people trying to copycat the perpetrators....
The problem with most of you people is that you absolutely dont even come close to understanding the drug sub culture.
You think they are a bunch of derelicts and idiots but it doesnt work that way.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
You think they are a bunch of derelicts and idiots but it doesnt work that way.

Of course the RCMP and Canadian media wants to make BC drug trade look like its run by criminals and idiots. I'm on the front lines and I can tell anyone on here that BC and recreational drugs go hand in hand, and the drug culture here is so advanced that it represents the pinnacle of BC freedom.

The BC underground and its people are much more competent at leadership and responsibility than our own government.

I honestly foresee a serious conflict of freedom within the near future in BC, between the people who are for the recreational drugs that vastly improve their #ty "9 to 5" lives and the RCMP who long for a Canadian society of drones who follow the commands of the Canadian elite without question. It'll probably get bloody, but there's no way the Canadian government can win; our freedom to smoke weed and expand our minds will overcome any hostile force, including our own security forces meant to protect and serve us, the people.

top topics

join