It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Alert at Galeras Volcano after eruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Red Alert at Galeras Volcano after eruption

www.eltiempo.com

This new alert indicates an imminent or ongoing eruption. There are no reported victims or material damages, authorities are asking for immediate evacuation.
The event was registered on Wednesday early morning, after which the threat level was raised from orange to red, which indicates another eruption could be registered in the next minutes. Authorities made a reiterated call for inhabitants to rush to shelters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Jechu]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Saw it on CNN - Breaking News but there is no info yet. The Source is the main Colombian newspaper (in spanish).

It seems they've been monitoring the situation very closely and have shelters prepared for everyone. This volcano is located over the Andes mountains at the south-west of the country, with a 400.000 people city near-by with low threat level. Lets hope nothing big happens.

Cheers

Jechu

www.eltiempo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
WOW , that's a new one, 'Restricted Post'??

Now I'm interested lol

Galeras (Urcunina among the 16th-century indigenous people) is an Andean stratovolcano in the Colombian department of Nariño, near the departmental capital Pasto. Its summit rises 4,276 metres (14,029 ft) above sea level. It has erupted frequently since the Spanish conquest, with its first historical eruption being recorded on December 7, 1580.[2] A 1993 eruption killed nine people, including six scientists who had descended into the volcano's crater to sample gases.[3] It is currently the most active volcano in Colombia.

en.wikipedia.org...

BOGOTA — Colombian officials on Wednesday raised the alert on the Galeras volcano to "red," the highest level, and ordered the evacuation of 8,000 people after it began spewing smoke and ash.
The small eruption, which was not an explosion, occurred at 4:00 am (0900 GMT), officials said.
Martha Calvache, under director of the state geological service, said the volcano is "emitting ash, and lava has been detected in the crater."
"The volcano is in a very unstable phase," she said.

AFP news

[edit on 25/8/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Jechu where did you link from? oh sorry maybe you shouldn't answer that

I had a look at other sources and thanks for letting us know Jechu.

'Red alert' issued for Colombian volcano after non-explosive eruption

[edit on 25-8-2010 by BANANAMONTANA]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BANANAMONTANA

The source link on the "recent post" page is:

Restricted post? That's new...does that mean it's above above top secret

ETA: All i did was place the original link...I didn't quote the source....an I got the "restricted post" notice on my comment as well.

I am deleting the link to see if it removes the "restricted post" notice

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
www.signonsandiego.com...

Colombians evacuated as Galeras volcano erupts
By The Associated Press

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 5:34 a.m.

BOGOTA, Colombia — The Galeras volcano is erupting in southwestern Colombia, forcing scores of people to evacuate from their homes.

Marta Calvache of Colombia's Geology and Mining Institute says a burst of gases, ash and vapor rose from the volcano at about 4 a.m. (0900 GMT) on Wednesday. The mountain's peak is 14,029 feet (4,276 meters) above sea level.

Carlos Ivan Marquez of the Colombian Red Cross says 278 people have evacuated from the area around the volcano.

He says so far there are no reports of damage.

The Associated Press

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Well... the source from El Tiempo newspaper or CNN has copyright problems. I'll just post again without them.

(Translation Quote)
“This new alert indicates an imminent or ongoing eruption. There are no reported victims or material damages, authorities are asking for immediate evacuation.
The event was registered on Wednesday early morning, after which the threat level was raised from orange to red, which indicates another eruption could be registered in the next minutes. Authorities made a reiterated call for inhabitants to rush to shelters
(End quote)

Saw it on CNN - Breaking News but there is no info yet. The Source is the main Colombian newspaper (in spanish).”

It seems they've been monitoring the situation very closely and have shelters prepared for everyone. This volcano is located over the Andes mountains at the south-west of the country, with a 400.000 people city near-by with low threat level. Lets hope nothing big happens.

Cheers

Jechu

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Just checking to se if I get booted??!
2nd

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Jechu

Likes the scales weighing in on what needs to be discussed and not to be considered....
2nd

[edit on 8/25/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

yes sorry I was stupid asking really , my apologies, I think whilst searching for source it may have been GLP..

top topics

join