It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barry Cooper fights the law, wins: Odessa drops all 'KopBusters' charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Barry Cooper fights the law, wins: Odessa drops all 'KopBusters' charges

www.rawstory.com

Barry Cooper, a former Texas police officer who turned against the drug war and executed a reverse-sting operation against the Odessa police department, will walk free on all related charges, an attorney for Ector County announced Tuesday.

Cooper, perhaps the nation's best-known drug war activist thanks to his "Never Get Busted" DVDs, set up a fake marijuana grow house in Odessa, wired it for sound and video, then used an anonymous letter to bait police into a Dec. 2008 raid.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Texas Rangers reportedly arrest Candi Cooper outside Austin home

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It looks like Barry Cooper didn't break any laws after all. I though that the charges were frivolous anyway and it was obvious that this was just revenge from authorities who caught with their hands in the red paint. I personally think it was ridiculous that tax-payer money was used in that investigation for something as small as a misdemeanor and now we really know that it was all for nothing, not even the midemeanor.

It would appear that the police were just trying to get "even" with the Coopers and unfortunately, they used tax-dollars to do it. Sadly, this probably won't be the end of it however, as I'm sure that those same cops are itching to make life miserable for the man that exposed police corruption.

--airspoon

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Living in the Odessa area, I can say that the majority of people are supportive of the sheriff's office, and see Cooper as a nutjob. He inspired his base, but made no overall difference.

Not that it makes me happy...it is just the fact of the matter. I wish he would do something about the corrupt police in the area. My cities PD is miserable. Paul Harvey once declared my city the best place to commit a murder and get away with it.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I used to live in Slodetha, oops I mean Odessa.

I got the heck outta there once I hit 18 years of age.

I have tons of stories I could tell you about how corrupt the police are there.

But hey, on the bright side Cooper came out on top. I assume they tortured him good for it though right?

I never bought any dvds or anything like that from Cooper. I just figured he was a cool dude.

Glad he got the charges dropped. Maybe he should sue them now?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It is refreshing to see some good news in the fight against the emerging police state. Injustice seems to quickly becoming law.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I have been to Odessa on several occasions and had a great time. I didn't see any particular bad police behavior and I believe I even got a ticket while there. It would seem that people from that area hate that area, while I love it. Maybe it's the weather, maybe something else.

With that being said, there is police corruption everywhere and I don't think anywhere is immune to such an infestation, save for maybe the place where I'm living now.

The problem is that police are becoming more militarized, with far greater powers and the people are being indoctrinated to not only accept it, but expect it too. We have all of those "World's Wildest" with that Sheriff John Benell jackass and all of the other CSI type shows.

People seem to forget that the police should serve the public, not the other way around and all police, no matter who they think they are or who they think you are, should act in a professional manner and give everyone they come into contact with, respect. A police officer should not be able to take our rights away for his safety. He chose to do that job, we didn't choose it for him and he knew that there was danger involved. His safety, especially since it was his choice, is not more important than my liberties. If he doesn't like that, then maybe the police officer should choose another line of work.

We aren't turning into a police state, we have become one. When a police officer can just pull you over, detain you, disrespect you, use deadly force on you or make up some charge to throw you in jail, then you are living in a police state. That's really all there is to it.

--airspoon

new topics

top topics

join