It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students asked to plan 'terror attack'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I think it was a "trick assignment". No terror plot should be shared with
too large of a group, it could jeopardize the mission. Bringing this
to their parents and local news is an A+ in my book whilst completing the
task would be an F. Great teaching skills.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by 12voltz

Well for one thing, as a member of infosec community, the best way to understand network attackers is to hack your network yourself.

I support it... Role reversal is the best way understand your adversary, and understanding your adversary is the best way to defeat your enemy.

It's a real shame that some people don't see things this way. The reality of this is that terrorists are real and anything that can be done to predict their next move is beneficial to those fighting terrorism.

Moviemakers and publishers can distribute tons and tons of "ideas" that terrorist could use in their attack plans but when a teacher gives her students an assigment that's not any different from the media industry, she's grilled for it. What a shame. This teacher should be an example to other teachers for her innovative ways.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I applaud the teacher for the ingenuity. Here's my take:

From a science point of view, it is a great way to get students to innovate and think about the ways that differant items can be re-purposed.

From a geopolitical point of view, it is a great way of teaching kids about how easy it would be to pull something like this off and to get them to question why, if it was so easy, has it not been done already.

And from a sociology point of view, it helps the kids understand what sort of mindset a person has to be in to be able to think of killing massive amounts of people.

But then, I am not one to censor the truth from the youth. I think greater exposure promotes greater understanding.

<< 1   >>

join