It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students asked to plan 'terror attack'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Students asked to plan 'terror attack'

www.sbs.com.au

Students at a West Australian high school have been asked to plan a terrorist attack that would kill as many innocent people as possible as part of an assignment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I am not really sure what the point of this exercise was,It says the teacher who was apparently inexperienced wanted to teach the students on contemporary conflict and how beliefs and values influence the behaviours and motives of individuals.It probably seemed like a good idea at the time but i think he should have maybe thought about it a bit more,it was obviously going to raise some eyebrows .What do you think?

www.sbs.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz

Its simply the most offensive assignment I've ever seen in my life. But I also believe in second chances, so I'd personally not want the teacher fired quite yet.

I actually have some trouble believing the story given how stupid it was, though I believe it really did happen more than I believe it didn't. I'd put that in the realm of downright humiliating for the teacher more than embarrassing.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by truthquest]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I don't see anything particularly wrong with this, depending on the level in which they were asked to plan. Students should be able to understand both sides. IMO, education should have no bounds. Of course the lesson plan would also have to include the consequences and what not on how and why this is not a good idea. So I guess for me, it would be okay, depending on the context.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
If the path the students were taking in their education would lead them into a law enforcement / crime deterrent position, then maybe this is a good thing. As said before, being able to look at things from both sides can be beneficial.

[edit on 8/24/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Wow, I wonder if they do simulations on that modern warfare 2 (game) level "no russian".

It seems like one of those ridiculous ideas you come up with under intense sleep deprivation or heavy drinking. I wonder what was going through his mind when he decided "How do I get through to these kids? I know! I'll let them plan a terrorist massacre."

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he was just trying to be the cool modern teacher who throws the rulebook away and speaks to the kids on "their level".

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

I dont find it offensive but more confusing as to what the teacher hoped to achieve.Maybe he is trying to get the students to see the world through the eyes of a would be terrorist,but for what? The area where where this school is located is a fairly remote gold mining town in the WA desert area .

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Before there were cell phones and computers as required items for our youth we played outside.

Some of us would play bad guy and the others would play good guys.

We would strategize and have "wars" at my friends in the city and also in the country where I lived.

Bravo to the teacher that even gets students out of the building and teach them to 'play war. Not that I agree with war but it helps to learn to play offense and defense in these troubled times when violence could happen anywhere.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I remember I had as a final paper for a Terrorism/Counter-Terrorism class in college this very subject. Our paper had to feature the planning, attack and response phases of the incident.

We had to discover and study the security flaws of government buildings from the perspective of a terrorist. Definitely the most interesting of papers I've done.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This is a fine example of us sending our kids to school so that they become afraid of the media governments, puppet threat's.

Once afraid they are more likely to defend their country, listen to the government, and vote for a two party system (on the grounds only biggest matters-counts) (rather than thinking about how much they waste their vote by filling a boul that's always too full!!).

So damn good use of public, brainwashing money!!
Mind you why exactly is a terrorist going to target Australia? Maybe they'd blow up a Kangaro -people would be outraged!!!

As for the teacher: I feel sorry for them being at a centre of a media storm.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

I would like to see them try and blow up a kangaroo,Our skippys are fully trained and armed to the teeth ,six feet tall and able to stop a loaded kombi van full of English backpackers .

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I think it is an excellent activity. Profilers learn to see through the eyes of killers or criminals, in order to stop them or predict what they will do next. I think it was definitely too advanced for the way our school systems work in the west. But its too bad teachers dont teach this kind of thinking to our young people. Not because we want them to be terrorists, but because being able to think through the motivations of your opponent is really quite the skill.

That kind of critical thinking and analysis is what many people in the west are lacking in the ability to do. Too often we are just memorizers of information, rather than thinkers and problem solvers.

Good for her. Its a shame that people freaked out about it. It would have been a great service to the community to have children aware of that sort of thing. It would make it easier for them to recognize and possibly thwart some sort of attack in their later lives.

Im glad that she didnt get fired over it. Here in the US, not only would the parents have freaked out, but no doubt they would have wanted her shipped off to Guantanamo bay as well.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
next the teacher will ask them to plan an assassination of obama!
oh! wait another teacher has done that one all ready.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I agree with what this one says.
If you were say an armored car driver you should try to figure out how to break into the armored car or base building, observe what are potential weakspots as to avoid being in one.
If you were a cop you would consider ambushes or other situations that would put you in danger firemen will consider structures and weak spots or other strategic things.
Now if this class was just say a regular K - 12 type school maybe the teacher was trying to make the students think critically to observe responses. who knows why the assignment was given.
But if it is possible that I could be put in a bad spot I would like to think that I have a real tactical awareness of several situations where most others will just cower and wait for death or some gubbment agency to save them.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Too bad the teacher tried to be innovative and creative. Now she's learnt that part of her job is to conform, comply and spew the State's propaganda by sticking to the curriculum, without any personal deviation.

The general public want good teachers, but they don't let people be good teachers when they bind them within such narrow boundaries of what 'education' should be.

Some callers to a radio show wanted her put in jail. Seriously, some people are so screwed up, they wouldn't know what's right or wrong.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Yeah, the teacher has apologised (and genuinely) for giving that assignment. She wasnt advocating terrorist acts or anything sinister like that.

I can understand however, how some people who have lost family and friends to terrorism, would be offended by that.But she certainly doesnt deserve a jail sentence (and the people saying that should shut the hell up, morons).

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I am noticing more and more of these types of stories.  It's always just an accident.  Suuure....

School distributes satanic sex calendar
www.worldnetdaily.com/new...E_ID=41903
Satanic image found in Pearland, Texas, school (courtesy KHOU-TV)
Local school officials in a suburb of Houston, Texas, are investigating how it was possible that a school police officer handed out calendars to students that featured explicit details on satanic and sexual rituals for every day of the month.

-------------

www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/15...topstories
ST. JOSEPH, Missouri (AP) -- A high school teacher has apologized for asking students to write about who they would kill and how they would do it, and officials said he will likely keep his job.

-------------

www.prisonplanet.c...k-like-77-terrorists.html...
A government teaching pack, provided to secondary schools throughout the UK, has been strongly criticized for asking children as young as ten years old to imagine themselves as suicide bombers. ...Pupils are asked to put themselves in the shoes of terrorists and provide possible justifications for carrying out attacks such as the ones on the London transport network in July 2005.

And the reason....

www.newswithviews.com/Turtel/joel46.htm
"Many public schools have become pagan religion indoctrination centers. These schools now teach children anti-Judeo-Christian beliefs and pagan religions, and try to mold children's minds through the latest techniques in behavioral psychology. .....
Students are given lessons on death education with assignments like the Fallout Shelter. Other lessons advocate the cultural endorsement of abortion and euthanasia as a way to prepare the new generation to accept many new forms of human sacrifice, such as the notion of sacrificing oneself for the common good.

"Author Aldus Huxley wrote about new-think indoctrination in Brave New World, his frightening novel about a future totalitarian society. In his book, school authorities molded childrens minds so that as adults, they lost their ability to think critically or judge the policies of their leaders. "

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This is nothing more than a media bash IMO.

So it’s okay for authors to be lauded for their originality to imagine terror scenarios or for movie makers to be heaped with praise for their critically acclaimed terror plots or for game inventors to achieve fame for bestselling video games projecting terror or for intelligence services to conceive of fantastic terrorist schemes and profile potential terrorists. But, heaven forbid our young people breach the wall of their imagination to critically analyze the harsh realities of terrorism, especially for educational purposes, when the news media and entertainment make clear every night its inescapable and all-too-real effects. What a double standard!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Many here have touched on the idea but not explored it. That idea being new ideas of possible attacks. Kids can be quite original in their views on how to do things. You never know, what might be gained via the fertile imagination of a child just might prevent an attack. Not saying the teacher had this in mind but may read one assignment that could be seen as needing further study.

But hey, we can't have kids thinking about this can we now. They just might contribute something of value and we simply can't have that. Remember a child proof cap is only designed to prevent a child from gaining access for about 5 minutes. They have to give the adults instructions on how to open!

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Well for one thing, as a member of infosec community, the best way to understand network attackers is to hack your network yourself.

I support it... Role reversal is the best way understand your adversary, and understanding your adversary is the best way to defeat your enemy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join