It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Tortured' potatoes more nutritious say scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

POTATOES should be given electric shock treatment to make them healthier, scientists claim.

Researchers at Obihiro University in Japan found that zapping spuds with electric shocks forces them to produce more antioxidants, which protect the human body from cell damage.

The process involved immersing whole potatoes in salty water and zapping them for up to half an hour.

Scientists then tested the spuds and found antioxidant levels rose by up to 50 percent. Other tests using ultrasound on the potatoes proved to be similarly beneficial.

Link

Just found this while browsing some news and wanted to share it here.

What an amazing discovery, I wonder if it would work on other things we consume.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This has long been known among growers of ethogenic plants such as salvia divinorum. Stressing the plants increases their potency.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

In a similar vein, lightning is known to increase mushroom growth. I've always wanted an excuse to build a lightning gun, maybe I can incorporate one in my garden

Source: Lightning Makes Mushrooms Multiply - National Geographic

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Cool info Grey Magic, I can see it now, all the health food stores will install a tub of water next to the produce aisle for veggie shock treatment!

I guess the action stimulates a survival mode, forcing a surge of nutrients to ensure the plants survival. I have noticed in my garden when plants get broken, they come back stronger and more bulky. There are even recommendations for doing this intentionally to make a more robust and hearty plant. I think they call it pith or cambium smashing/twisting.

spec

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
This has long been known among growers of ethogenic plants such as salvia divinorum. Stressing the plants increases their potency.

Same with chilli. The more you abuse them, the hotter they turn out

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Electric shock treatment?!
Tsk Tsk Tsk.
Those poor potatoes...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
lol, enough already !
More, more, more is how we got in this mess !

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed

In a similar vein, lightning is known to increase mushroom growth. I've always wanted an excuse to build a lightning gun, maybe I can incorporate one in my garden

Source: Lightning Makes Mushrooms Multiply - National Geographic

Tesla coil?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
so it is in the universe

some sects prefer their chickens beaten before butcher

some sects their dogs

the lion would prefer diseased tortured kill before a healthy carcas

some say reptilians prefer us in fear for the best taste

is the difference between great steak and a just a steak the difference between calm or terrified ?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Thanks - I have had taters on my mind a lot lately. I buy the top brands and organic. I check the outside real well before I buy because the past 5 or 6 months I peel and slice them and sometimes as much as half of the tater is rotten. Tortured, yea in some respect, any idea whats going on with that? Are they shocking all of them now or just the organics and would shocking do this? And they don' taste as good as they use too.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Thanks - I have had taters on my mind a lot lately. I buy the top brands and organic. I check the outside real well before I buy because the past 5 or 6 months I peel and slice them and sometimes as much as half of the tater is rotten. Tortured, yea in some respect, any idea whats going on with that? Are they shocking all of them now or just the organics and would shocking do this? And they don' taste as good as they use too.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I hope PETA doesn't hear about this. They may form some type of veggie protection brigade spin off group.

Like those crazy wackos don't have enough to do already.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
so does that mean we are going to have a new shelve in the supermarket called electrically shocked POTATOES ?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Dr UAE]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Bending and pruning Cannabis in the last stage of growth to cause stress will produce a Higher yeld and potency

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Crushing or chopping garlic releases an enzyme called alliinase that catalyzes the formation of allicin. Allicin rapidly breaks down to form a variety of organosulfur compounds.
Since cooking can inactivate alliinase, some scientists recommend letting garlic stand for ten minutes after chopping or crushing before cooking it.

lpi.oregonstate.edu...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I guess BK wasn't too far off the mark with this commercial:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr UAE
so does that mean we are going to have a new shelve in the supermarket called electrically shocked POTATOES ?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Dr UAE]

Well ---- that's the selling-point / persuasian, it would appear

They can sit there alongside all those irradiated fruits and vegetables

those irradiated 'fresh' products that look perfect from the outside

and are actually rotten and dead within

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
If you think electroshock treatment is bad, you should hear those taters scream when you cut their eyes out.

(was i really the first to say it?)

Exposing plants to shock via various tortures tends to boost flavor and potency. This is not surpising in the least. It would explain how populations can survive in scarcer times, if the food stock is more nutritional. It is an important model for us to pay attention to.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Yes, please, try and survive on electroshocked potatoes for a year.

I'm starting to believe that antioxidants have become simply a marketing tool that plays on consumer ignorance.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I like to water board my taters
before I cook em.Oh you can also give them a good beaten and make mash taters lol food for thought.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join