It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History or Historical Debate Forum?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Most of us know that there is a difference between written history and actual history as it happened. Oftentimes, it is a significant difference. History, as many know, can be a very valid indicator of how and why things are as they are, not to mention it can give us good insight into the future. Many conspiracies rely heavily on historical context and it can often mean the difference between a far-fetched theory and a much more grounded one.

If we can understand history as it actually happened, then we have a viable roadmap of not only things to come, but also things that are happening in the here and now.

It is because of these reasons that I think ATS and the members herein could greatly benefit from either a forum dedicated to history or historical debate. ATS members do a superb job of cutting through the clatter on important issues from all realms of alternative topics, which is why I would love to see that same vigor applied to dismantling the history spoon-fed to us so that we can reconstruct the past as it actually played out and ultimately benefit from the information gleamed, as well as apply this knowledge to the other topics already discussed.

Is this a viable option, to have a historical forum here on ATS?

"Whoever wins the battle, writes the history" --proverb

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I like the idea.
It would also be a good forum for tackling the differences between real history and the kind of history which conspiracy theorists make up from their imaginations or misunderstandings.
It might be dangerous to quote examples.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I believe we had one before.

I'm pretty sure we had something similar to it, about five years ago
Have to check with the administration.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Debate is debate and ATS' is the finest I've seen. I don't think we need to water down the forum. You want to debate a certain thing in history I'm sure the staff will make it happen.

I'll go even further. If you want to debate history I'll take the Soviets vs the rest of the Allies vs. the Germans. Not really a debate, easy one actually but you get my point.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

How exactly would that be watering down the forum? Is history not equally as important as say, current events? Would history (in its proper context) not allow us to understand current events and conspiracies?

As it stands, it would seem that if you want to delve into history, you have to tie it in with another subject, particularly a conspiracy but some historical events aren't necessarily conspiratorial, yet are just as important to understanding conspiracies and current events as they are, not as they are "supposed" to be understood.

The truth of the matter is that we can't even begin to understand the world around us and the situation in front of us, if we have no understanding of what truly lies behind us. Everything is built on a foundation, or so it would seem, and unless we can survey that foundation, we can't understand the structure built on top of it.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I too would enthusiastically support such a forum. A place of referrence where certain historic subjects can be discussed.

Of course you can post historical conspiracies anywhere (and people, like I do) but they kind of scatter away to different forums. If there's enough other members I'd be happy to contribute regularly. I am working on 2,3 historic themed threads anyway right now.

I would really enjoy that - but only if there's a real need and interest for it.

BTW how does one get invited to the official debate threads on ATS?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
The truth of the matter is that we can't even begin to understand the world around us and the situation in front of us, if we have no understanding of what truly lies behind us. Everything is built on a foundation, or so it would seem, and unless we can survey that foundation, we can't understand the structure built on top of it.

--airspoon

I'm not disagreeing with you dude. Look at our wars right now. Same as 40 years ago. Just different allies. What I'm saying is that the Debate Forum is pretty analogous. It fits all conspiracies. Just participate and you'll see how open the forum actually is.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I have to admit I committed the cardinal error of not searching for the subject before I made a thread about it.

I am often guilty of complaining at people for doing that as well!

Sorry, I actually just forgot.

I love history in general but especially military history from about 18th century onwards and I think a history forum would be a great addition.

top topics

join