It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

www.bbc.co.uk

Britain's Defence Secretary Liam Fox has defended his comments calling on retailers to ban the forthcoming Medal of Honor video game from their stores.

On Sunday, Mr Fox said he was "disgusted" by the game, which allows players to adopt the role of the Taliban in the Afghan war.

"The point remains that part of this game allows you to play the part of the Taliban attacking ISAF troops in the area of central Helmand where British troops are operating."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk
www.telegraph.co.uk
english.aljazeera.net

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Wow! Electronic Arts has certainly created a controversy with the the forthcoming Medal of Honor where you actually can play as the 'Talibans'

I bet that this game will be huge in the Middle Eastern gaming market and in the Arab and Islam world.

Every kid from Morocco in the West to Indonesia in the East will probably have this game at the top of their wishlist

What a huge potential gaming-market!

How many people aren't there in the world who are dead tired of playing propagandized games from the Western perspective in games full of Anglo-American pro war propaganda?

Will this be a fresh breeze of change for those gamers?

At least from a marketing & sales perspective, this is really a brilliant move by Electronic Arts.

Remember kidz! Mr Fox said he was "disgusted" by the game
lol!

How many here will play as the Talibans?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Chevalerous]

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Politicians are a joke when they say video games are bad.

EH RETARD, IT'S A VIDEO GAME, IT'S NOT REAL.

MAN UP NANCYBOY!

What about instead of crying about that game YOU LEAVE FREAKING AFGHANISTAN?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

What about instead of crying about that game YOU LEAVE FREAKING AFGHANISTAN?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

Haha!
awsome!

Yeah, that would certainly be a game 'worth waiting for!'

Thanks for the reply Vitchilo!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Didn't we go through all this nonsense before with call of duty and the "play as a terrorist" level that wasn't actually a play as a terrorist level?

It's all been done before. Nothing to see here. Must be a slow news day.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I don't really see any problem with playing a 'Taliban' in a game.... It's a bit like an actor playing the role of a megalomanic hell bent on world domination or a part involving gangster like behavior.
It is a good move in 'marketing ' the game to make it appeal to all nations however with such a massive potential maybe Electronic Arts could make a small percentage donation (0.5%) of the game' sales revenue with one eye on the fact that they trade, develop, work and live in a country who troops are dying daily for them ??!!

just a thought

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

link   
I wonder if they have played COD where you mow down an entire airport of civilians dressed as terrorist.

I have seen attempts to ban games for things as simple as the use of stimpacks ( a needle for health ) because it's a drug reference.

Canada and the US are pretty careless about our game content so I have little to worry about. If your from Australia or Europe you might be playing a censored version unfortunately

edit

thisguyrightthere... i.c see you are on the same page as me, you must have posted while i was typing

[edit on 23-8-2010 by GummB]

link   
I find it funny that defense minister Liam Fox has time to review the upcoming game releases considering we are in a war with NO! Clearly Defined goals or any end in sight. What a joke our govt and this so-called war has turned out to be...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I almost wonder if this guy is on the EA payrole? Of course I will play the Taliban, just like I played the other 'enemies" in the myriad of computer games I have enjoyed.

Is kind of sad to see that no matter what country you go to many of these politocs are all the same

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm suprised he didn't mention a game called, Project Reality. Project reality is one realistic game. You can play as insurgents, taliban, british forces, israel forces, american, canadian, bunch of different forces from around the world. Its one realistic game.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Great publicity for the game good job.

At the end of the day if the game has an age rating and kids are playing it, it's their parents fault. My own concerns about my 9 year old nephew playing COD Modern Warfare 2 fell on deaf ears, and as you can imagine it was great to see him murdering civilians in an airport on Christmas morning.

Edit just to ad, if I remember correctly you don't have to murder any civilians in the game, but try telling that to a nine year old with an automatic machinegun.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
did some one tell him its only a game and not real.

counterstrike source was allowed and you play as terrorists on that.

cant believe we pay this guy for idiotic comments like that.

there is probably hundreds of games already out where i can kill british people

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Well I play Counter-Strike and there are only two teams; the Counter-Terrorists and the Terrorists. I think we should ban this game too as I have had the option to play as a Terrorist with an AK-47 for over 10 years now.

Who is Liam Fox?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Wait, I can actually do something different in the new Medal of Honor game?

Holy #.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Biggest non-issue of the day. Nothing wrong with the game unless you think game is real.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
He wishes to ban a game which consists of men killing each other in Afghanistan.

BUT

he has no worries about sending men over to Afghanistan to kill each other.

This is a joke, not only is he actively promoting the game, but his moralistic stance is off-kilter.

Sod him. Play the game, have fun...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
EA should put his face on one of the people we can kill in the game just to piss him off more.

That would be hilarious.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
You can play as the Nazis and the Soviets in Call of Duty: World at War. What's the problem? I'm tired of shooter games that only allow you to play as American or British forces. It's nice to have some flexibility and choice.

People play shooter games to experience a war atmosphere in a simulation. Playing as the Taliban or the Nazis doesn't mean you enjoy killing American or British troops; it means you enjoy seeing a war from another perspective and using the weapons and tactics that they would have used.

Video games are for ENTERTAINMENT! It is ENTERTAINING to have multiple perspectives and dimensions in video games. Stop trying to control everything. How about you stop creating wars and giving these video game companies something to base their games off of?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

I can see what they would be worried about.

Impressionable UK kids, playing the Taliban, may be influenced by their plight, and sympathize with them.

I don't think that, but i bet they do.

Is it any better to be able to play the Nazi's or the Japanese?

They contributed to the slaughter of 20 million people during WWII, and that is still in living memory for a lot of people.

How about the Viet Cong? Over 65,000 young US soldiers lost their lives to them. OK a lot of them died too, but they were the enemy.

How is playing the Taliban, and being worried of influence, any different to potentially creating communist or Nazi sympathizers?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

I think the game should be banned, but thats because Medal of Honour in my opinion is one of the worst first person franchises I have EVER had the displeasure of comming into contact with. I find the game play and plots totaly vacuous and generaly weak.
I would rather play a game with a good storyline.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join