It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It's like the time they banned MS flight simulator until they could patch it so players couldn't fly airliners into buildings following 9/11.

Politicians are stupid, parents should make the decision. The game is Mature, meaning you have to be 18 to buy it. If parents ACTUALLY paid attention and uhhh I don't know actually practiced parenting, kids wouldn't have exposure to those games.
Parents today practice what I like to call beer can parenting. They grab a beer drink, repeat until they are too drunk to care, kids then run rampant in the street tearing up everything in their wake, and when you confront the parent... they are so drunk they want to fight about it, instead of being logical and respectful.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
From which cave is Liam Fox coming from? There are hundreds, thousands of games where you can play as the bad guy...nazis, communists, terrorists, aliens, creeps, black magic, criminal, gangster...etc etc

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
There's something called the 1st amendment, as long as no one is forcing you to buy the game it's all good.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
What I find incredible is that these politicians want to ban 18+ year olds from playing these video games, but they have no problem with sending these same 18 year olds off to war. I dare any of these politicians to produce ONE single study that claims video games do more psychological damage than war does.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I play a game similar to this, it's called Insurgency.
Are they going ban that too?
LOL!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Don't underestimate the defense propagandist. I'm sure they can take X number of "shooting incidents" and the perps being heavy gaming addicts to prove their own little agenda....

These guys can make peter pan look like an evil little child rapist that abducts little girls if they wanted

o.t
Hilarious and both scary to see "the peoples representatives" utter this nonsense.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

I have no doubt they could manufacture a study that conformed to their desired results. But in an independent study that they have no influence over, I would be willing to bet anything that war is far worse than video games. That should be common sense but with the way these politicians talk about video games, apparently it is not.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

..and thanks to Dr Fox, it just sold another million copies

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
No, video games aren't real but they eave an impression on the subconscious. I used to be a die hard vid games palyer and I would go to bed at night dreaming of the game. Almost everybody I knew that had heavy vid game time experienced the same thing. The conscious mind knows it's real but the subconscious doesn't differentiate.

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Politicians are a joke when they say video games are bad.

EH RETARD, IT'S A VIDEO GAME, IT'S NOT REAL.

MAN UP NANCYBOY!

What about instead of crying about that game YOU LEAVE FREAKING AFGHANISTAN?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Medal of honor used to be great but I think it needs to gracefully walk into the sunset instead ripping off call of duty and embarrassing everyone. I mean it looks exactly like call of duty right down to the noob tube!

MW2 had you shoot civilians so if anything, they must be attempting to recreate the provocative moment.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Politicians are idiots.

That is all.

Oh, wait. Especially corrupt politicians are idiots.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If they ban the game that means no Battlefield 3 beta....they best not ban this game

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

It just goes to show how These games are a propaganda tool.
I know some of you guys are in the UK but have you seen America's Army ?

It's an US Army downloadable first person shooter, that takes you through the entire regiment of basic training, weapons and combat.....

So I am not at all surprised by this govt warhawk mouthpiece.

For if these games are to incite young testosterone driven teens into signing up to fight their wars.

And as one of the warhawks, this defense minister is worried that the impressionable kids playing these games, by fighting for the Taliban, might just see the light so to speak, and might not want to go fight these wars after all...against our so called enemies .

They certainly can't have that !

Who would fight the wars then ? Certainly Not the ruling class financiers or their children !!?

Especially after crashing the economy and putting more unemployed youth in line to join up !

I hope these kids download a $hitload of copies of this game....and begin to realize the truth behind these wars.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
does anybody know the combo to blow myself up? that would be a terrible ending to the game, right?

but more seriously, who cares? you get to be the "bad guys" so what? theres plenty of games where you get to be the "bad guy", like that star wars game where your darth vaders assassin and on the first level you get to be darth vader.

ps. it's a game and you don't actually kill NATO troops, sheeesh :p

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

these games are to incite young testosterone driven teens into signing up to fight their wars.

No it's just fun...and I'm not a teen

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Theres a game called Counter Strike 1.6 which has been out for like 10 years,
You could either be a Terrorist or Counter Terrorist,

After awhile you just become numb to it and dont even care what the teams are called anymore,
You just start thinking of the teams as Red vs Blue,

Every time I get online and it asks me which team I want to join, I just hit random, like what most people do,
The only thing different about the teams are the weapons,
Terrorists have AK47s and Counter Terrorists have M16s

Its like playing a football game,
No one is going to be sitting there thinking about politics and war propaganda,
Everyone is just trying to have fun

99% of Gamers who play First Person Shooters demand realism,
and If your game isnt realistic enough, no one is going to buy it,
I think Electronic Arts did a great job with Medal of Honor,
But I dont think Medal of Honor could topple Counter Strike 1.6 as the number 1 online FPS on the planet tho...

[edit on 23-8-2010 by SupremeKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacific_waters
No, video games aren't real but they eave an impression on the subconscious. I used to be a die hard vid games palyer and I would go to bed at night dreaming of the game. Almost everybody I knew that had heavy vid game time experienced the same thing. The conscious mind knows it's real but the subconscious doesn't differentiate.

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Politicians are a joke when they say video games are bad.

EH RETARD, IT'S A VIDEO GAME, IT'S NOT REAL.

MAN UP NANCYBOY!

What about instead of crying about that game YOU LEAVE FREAKING AFGHANISTAN?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

i'll tell you if i start sleepwalking and set off a car bomb. so you dream about games you have played, so what?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Great publicity for the game good job.

At the end of the day if the game has an age rating and kids are playing it, it's their parents fault. My own concerns about my 9 year old nephew playing COD Modern Warfare 2 fell on deaf ears, and as you can imagine it was great to see him murdering civilians in an airport on Christmas morning.

Edit just to ad, if I remember correctly you don't have to murder any civilians in the game, but try telling that to a nine year old with an automatic machinegun.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

That part really disturbed me, but that was probably the point. I think those game ratings are there for a reason. If it's rated M, no 9 year old should own it.

Look at some of the GTA games. Who wants their 9 year old to be able to solicit a prostitute and then beat them to death with a double sided dildo and steal your money back.

I don't agree with this however. What kind of nanny state can tell people what video games they can and cannot play?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
That's no reason to ban a game. A game I would like to ban would be a version of The Sims that allowed kids to become corrupt politicians. Now THAT would a bad influence, because kids would realise that to make a lot of money they don't need to study. All they need to do is sell their soul, lie to the country and get rich with no effort.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Non-Issue- propagandist political fear tactic being employed here.
Did the politicians complain when kids played Cowboys and Indians? How about Cops and Robbers or Stormtroopers vs. the Rebels?
Can't tell you how many times I played Luke Skywalker and he was a Rebel.

This is free advertising for EA and that's it. Guess what? It worked. There goes another 40 hours of my life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join