It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity does not exist. Physicist proposes new theory..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Author:
Mo Xinhai

[PureInsight.org] Many people have heard the story of when Newton sat under an apple tree to think, and suddenly an apple fell on his head and he conceived the theory of gravity. But after a long time, physicists knew gravity was a very strange physical law. Compared to other basic interaction forces, gravity was very difficult to deal with. Now the reasons for this peculiarity may have been explained: gravity is not a fundamental interaction force, but instead may be the derivative of another more fundamental power.

Professor Eric Verlinde, age 48, a respected string theorist and a professor of physics at the Institute of Theoretical Physics at the University of Amsterdam, proposed a new theory of gravity as reported by the New York Times on July 12, 2010. He argued in a recent paper, entitled “On the Origin of Gravity and the Laws of Newton” that gravity is a consequence of the laws of thermodynamics. Reversing the logic of 300 years of science, his contention is that gravity is an illusion that has caused continued turmoil among physicists, or at least among those who profess to understand it.

“For me, gravity doesn’t exist,” said Dr. Verlinde. It’s not that he won’t fall to the ground, but Dr. Verlinde, along with some other physicists, thinks that science has been looking at gravity the wrong way and that there is something more basic from which gravity “emerges,” the way stock markets emerge from the collective behavior of individual investors or how elasticity emerges from the mechanics of atoms.

The core of the theory may be relevant to the lack of order in physical systems. His argument is something you could call the “bad hair day” theory of gravity. It goes like this: your hair frizzles in the heat and humidity because there are more ways for your hair to be curled than to be straight, and nature likes options. So it takes a force to pull hair straight and eliminate nature’s options. Forget curved space or the spooky attraction described by Isaac Newton’s equations. Dr. Verlinde postulates that the force we call gravity is simply a by-product of nature’s propensity to maximize disorder.

Professor Verlinde’s theory is that gravity is essentially an entropic force. An object moving around other small objects will change the disorder surrounding the objects and gravity will be felt. Based on this idea in the Holographic theory, he can derive Newton’s second law of mechanics. In addition, his theory on the physics of inertial mass is also a new understanding. His paper—“On the Origin of Gravity and the Laws of Newton”—can be found online at: arxiv.org...

Many physicists think that Dr. Verlinde's theory lacks persuasiveness. So what is gravity? Master Li Hongzhi, the founder of Falun Gong, said in “Teaching the Fa at the 2001 Canada Fa Conference”:

“What's brought about this gravity phenomenon that people have described? It happens because all lives and all matter, including air and water, that are on Earth and within the Three Realms—all things that exist in the Three Realms—are composed of particles of all the different levels in the Three Realms, and different particles of different levels are interconnected. This interconnection can, when there's a pulling force, extend or move within the Three Realms. In other words, when you pull it, it can extend like a rubber band, and when you release it, it will go back. That is, there's a basic, stable form of existence among particles. This is why any object in this Earth's environment will come back to the ground after you move it.” (Guiding the Voyage)

Research on the universe in modern science is essentially based on the theory of gravity. If gravity does not exist, then our understanding of the galaxy and the universe’s structure could be wrong. This may be why astronomers often find it difficult to explain gravitational movement’s of distant celestial bodies and have to introduce the concept of “dark matter” to help balance the equations. A new theory of gravity could shed light on some of the vexing cosmic issues that physicists come across, like dark energy, a kind of anti-gravity that seems to be speeding up the expansion of the universe, or the dark matter that is supposedly needed to hold galaxies together. It may stimulate scientists to seek a new understanding of the universe.

“We’ve known for a long time gravity doesn’t exist,” Dr. Verlinde said, “It’s time to yell it.”

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
You have me interested for the first half of your post.

I think it is rather a bit of overstatement to suggest that gravity doesn't exist. It clearly exists. What isn't clear is what it is.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think the sun is responsible for us having gravity here on earth. There is something inside the planets, that makes it attracted to the sun I believe. There must be some kind of magnetism there.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Newton's law may not be the right formula but there is a force for sure that holds us on earth. You can call it what ever you want but its there. I'm not one to test it. I'll stick with the matrix thought process and assume that jumping off a building will kill you.

I think really what everyone is doing now with this theory is just looking at it in different philosophical views one might see gravity as a force that pulls, or pushes or is the matrix, or so on and so forth. I think the only person who disproved gravity is Chris Angel but he breaks a lot of laws of physics.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I love reading this stuff! Whatever flips our minds upside-down, and inside-out to what we were taught, is awesome. Great stuff. I guess this theory dismisses the Big Bang Theory, b/c it would mean that all mass would be returning to the original location.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkeySEEmonkeyDO
I love reading this stuff! Whatever flips our minds upside-down, and inside-out to what we were taught, is awesome. Great stuff...

You're right about one thing -- ideas like this that "flips our minds upside-down and inside-out to what we were taught" are great faun and are useful in getting our brains to think outside the box.

...However, that doesn't mean that these "cool" ideas are correct, nor does it mean that what we were taught is any less correct. It just means that these are fun ideas -- perhaps wrong ideas -- but it's fun nevertheless.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Already covered

in this thread on ATS

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Disorder, in my mind would be planets and stars flying through the cosmos willy nilly.

Not planets orbiting stars in regular processions. Or stars coalescing into galaxies.

Seems a little goofy to me, but then I am not a physicist.

I am a hillbilly.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This comes as no surprise to me at all.

Several years ago I watched an interview with a scientist who claimed that there was a 'mistake' in physics. Lab results were showing results that could not be rationalized given our theories on how things work.

This is in line with what he was talking about; something fundamental that was incorrect but hadn't been noticed because early instuments had not been capable of detecting it.

Interesting times.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I think it all has to do with the extreme power of black holes.

Black holes pull every thing that is near them, into them, correct? Perhaps every planet (some atleast, including earth) have black holes inside the core which would explain why we are attracted to the ground. Heck, we don't even know what is inside the core of our own planet, so any thing could be possible.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Final Solstice
Perhaps every planet (some atleast, including earth) have black holes inside the core which would explain why we are attracted to the ground. Heck, we don't even know what is inside the core of our own planet, so any thing could be possible.

Certainly! I suspect that Earth is hollow, and there are 777 blue Spaghetti Monsters running wild down there. And you can't prove me wrong! That's what I call a useful discourse in science.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by leira7
I think the sun is responsible for us having gravity here on earth. There is something inside the planets, that makes it attracted to the sun I believe. There must be some kind of magnetism there.

Theres a physicist named Stan Deyo that explains exactly what gravity is and how it works... I have listened to a youtube of him talking, can't remember link for that particular one, but he says the sun-because it is spinning that it distorts space and causes a magnetic field.. this field he says resonates and that causes orbit rings to occur at the places that the planets are orbiting it.. because of the sun spinning and it's rate of spin, etc, is what defines where these natural "place holders" or orbit rings will be.. so, the earth is orbiting where it is because it was originally drawn here like being pulled along a current, it can't go somewhere else and orbit because it's locked in by the resonating magnetic field the sun creates..

He says this is the same thing that causes an electron to orbit the nucleus of the an atom, because the nucleus is spinning and distorts space around it causing a magnetic field.. that field also sets up natural orbit rings which is why things orbit where they orbit..

He goes on to even describe that this is the same phenomenon that can be utilized to create a flying disk.. he also worked in special access projects involving gravity for that same purpose...

He is a very good teacher the way he describes these things..
I'll have to try and find those links again and listen again since
I never get bored of this stuff..

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Final Solstice
Perhaps every planet (some atleast, including earth) have black holes inside the core which would explain why we are attracted to the ground. Heck, we don't even know what is inside the core of our own planet, so any thing could be possible.

Certainly! I suspect that Earth is hollow, and there are 777 blue Spaghetti Monsters running wild down there. And you can't prove me wrong! That's what I call a useful discourse in science.

Wouldn't be where we are today without thinking outside the box. So I won't dismiss your claims joking or not ;D

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Science itself will ALWAYS be fundamentally flawed due to the 'fact' that it decides certain things to be 'facts' thus stopping any further research into those 'facts' because people accept it as 'fact' and see no need to look further between the lines.

In an ever growing and changing universe deciding on 'facts' and 'laws' of science is a very silly approach to take considering those 'facts' and 'laws' could have changed the day after they were decided to be so, Ah such is humanity, Its funny how ego can stop your own evolution as a species.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
As for my belief I agree with Master Li Hongzhi that the foundation of science is flawed. The basis of science should be that small particles make up larger particles. Anything we see in this

That means there are a multitude of dimensions. Ie imagine standing on an atom in the plane of that dimension, what would the world look like? Would you be able to levitate, increase your size, decrease your size etc?

I am confident any human has the ability to unlock other dimensions. It is all a matter of improving oneself.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Gravity is just that... a observable effect in our everyday lives. Newton noticed this so he formulated this. And made laws on this.

"Gravity does not exist"? Really? Then what is the apple doing falling down? Gravity is just a term to describe the effect. There are laws and then there are general relativity and metric tensor and so on and on. All they are are describing the effects and predicting the effects.

Gravity is not something "real" or something "there". It's just something that is observable.

If there is something "above" gravity that can be measured and formulated then the gravity can be derived from that, like everything can be derived from the grand unified theory, then that's fine, but even that might not "exist". It's just an effect that we observe.

My personal opinion? I think mathematics is the way to go. I can give you a long discourse on how and why mathematics can describe everything.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
What is this then?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc9623260995.jpg[/atsimg]

Saying that gravity doesn't exist is like saying falling doesn't exist.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I believe the continuation of Master Li´s lecture is very interesting:

Think about it, everyone: the greater cosmic body is extremely vast. Human beings and the Earth are tiny even when they’re viewed from a high place within the Three Realms. A human seems to have traveled from New York City to Canada, when in fact, in their eyes it seems that you haven’t moved, because the scope of your movement is really small. So when rockets and spaceships take off into the sky, they try to break away from this environment—which is composed of these different-level particles—that makes up the Earth. So human beings use rockets to increase the thrusting force and to move it with great power. As you know, in the Three Realms there exists an atmospheric layer. It looks like an atmosphere, when in fact inside it is an environment composed of countless microcosmic beings whose role is to provide stability so that human beings can exist here.

Once something breaks out of this atmosphere, the interconnections among many molecules are broken by the pulling of the strong force. This causes a situation, then: only particles at the periphery are still connected to it, and the pulling force isn’t so strong anymore. In other words, although it’s no longer in Earth’s environment, it is still connected to the realms of other particles in the Three Realms. Only this way can it be stable there. This is the reason why a satellite can stay there.

Of course, the same interconnection exists in objects of the same weight but of different volumes. An object that has a small volume but a high density has the same amount of interconnection as an object that has a large volume, so it feels like they weigh the same. There are many other aspects of this if I’m to go into detail. What I was trying to tell you just now is that “gravity” doesn’t exist.

The real cause is that for the particles in this environment to exist here, they have to be interconnected.

So why, when it comes to cultivators, can a person leave his body? And why can he levitate? It’s exactly because your body’s matter, which is related to the Earth and is composed of surface-matter particles, has undergone changes. It has severed its connection to the particles in this environment, so you’re no longer subject to its cohesive force, and are no longer subject to its restraining and drawing power. That’s when you can levitate.

So whichever realm you have cultivated to, the composition of your being at the microcosmic level is connected to that realm. When you cultivate to higher levels you will be connected to higher levels and will sever the connections to all levels below. That’s the relationship. The connecting and opening of the Great Heavenly Circuit is a manifestation at this level. But students have long since passed this level, only they’re locked. From now on, one after another our students will experience different states in cultivation. That’s why I’ve told you about this. I’ll just say this much today. I hope this Fa conference goes even better. (Applause)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Professor Eric Verlinde didn't say that gravity does not exist per se. Currently, gravity is directly linked to mass and he is saying that although this theory works out mathematically (generally speaking) and can be predicted via Newton's laws, it isn't necessarily a manifestation in the way that current physics believes and adheres to.

Of course, he isn't the first to promulgate new ideas on the nature and source of gravity and hopefully he won't be the last.

Science has not yet managed to debunk the 'aether' theory which could explain many things including gravity, however, seem to be stuck in a paradigm of rigid scientific theory that explains effects rather than causes.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
That's fine. It's related to mass and whatever. That's what we observe.

Physics is not about what we believe to be true. It is about what we observe.

Saying that gravity doesn't exist is as silly as saying that falling doesn't exist. It is just a term.

That "physicist" need to say what he mean and not bring up some silly statements like "gravity doesn't exist".

If it's something metaphysical or spiritual or something "above" gravity, then create a new term for it. Gravity is here to stay, like falling is here to stay.

<<   2  3 >>

join