It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glasgow UFO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hi, this is my first thread. I have been a reader for years but never joined up until today. These pictures were taken in Glasgow (Scotland) recently by someone I know.

img801.imageshack.us...

img339.imageshack.us...

The Facts:
I was not present at the time the pictures were taken.
Both pictures are taken from a different angle.

I have joined today to show you these images & also to see if anyone can help enhance them.

I am unsure as to what it could be. What do you think?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I'm sure someone will write "Chinese lantern". Though it is most probable in this case, I'm not 100% sure.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The first one is a dot. The second.. well, it's also a dot.

Honestly.. as much as I love UFO photos, when you have but a dot, there is no way to tell "what it is." It could be lanterns, balloons, a bird, a garbage bag, or dozens of other objects that are often flying around in the sky.

It's a dot. No one will be able to tell you anything about it.

Heck, I've taken pictures of dots! Did not feel the need to post them, as no one will be able to tell me what it was. I saw a slow-flying, round object as I waited at a drive-through. I took several pictures.. and well, all I know is it's a white dot. I'd guess weather balloon, but you can never tell. But no one here can tell either.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by fleabit]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMothman

At first glance it does look like a chinese lantern but i could be wrong.

Did your friend give any details on how the object was moving and what speed anything like that.

Welcome to ATS

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Having seen many ufo orbs over the past two decades I want to say these are the real thing. Unfortunately the second pic does look like a lantern. Ufo orbs/foo fighters/call them what you want are a single colour through and through, the pic you post shows a dull top to it and a flame from the bottom which is typical of a Chinese lantern

Just my opinion btw

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I have played about with chinese lanterns and also experimented by taking pictures of them. The first picture is 100% certainly a lantern.

Picture 2 could be anything but the absence of any other information means this is not worth following up.

Glad you joined though, MrMothman. Don't let this put you off.

Keep looking.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I've no doubt it's a Chinese lantern.

The second photo is the lantern with the flame burned out. No third photo because it would have fallen from the sky at that point.

They are everywhere in the UK these days. I saw yet another one last night. Even though I knew what it was it looked weird because there was no wind at ground level and the lantern was moving quickly in a current of moving air.

They're also for sale in the Pound Shops so expect to see even more now they are so cheap.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
It looks more like a balloon than a lantern to me. In the one that looks like it has a flame on it's probably the sun reflecting off it. You can see the angle of the sun on the telegraph pole. It's either pretty early or pretty late in the day so the light is quite warm anyway. Pity, I'm not far from Glasgow

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Hey there MrMothMan,

According to the Exif data these images were taken 15 days ago (And also in the future - the 7th of September 2010 to be sure), ask your friend to check the date on their Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi to see if it's calendar is set for the future instead of the present.

Exif Data of first image.

Exif data of second image.

Whenever they were taken there was 42 seconds between each image - I'd expect with a camera as nice as that there would be more images which aren't being displayed here.

Also can you point out to us where the picture was taken and in which direction the photographer was facing. I'm guessing by the wall in the first photograph that it's somewhere South of the Clyde but not too far South, somewhere near traffic lights too; like the Tradestone end of Pollokshields Road or near the Citizens Theatre at the Gorbals.

Feel free to pull up Google maps streetview and link to the location.

Also getting a time of day when the picture was taken will be of benefit for us to look into what it would be.

At the moment though I'd guess either an aircraft of some sort coming in from the East or, especially in light of my guess of it being near Govanhill, possibly someone letting of a paper lantern to celebrate the beginnings of Ramadan.

The more we have to work with the better we'll be at trying to figure it out.

I'm looking forward to more information from you on this MrMothMan.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
In the UK at the moment there does seem to be a fair few Chinese lanterns being sold, not sure why that is as I have never noticed them before

I went to my local market only a few days ago and saw two stalls selling them

Cheers
mrix

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

MrMothman.....

Welcome to ATS!

OK.....

That really does look like a chinese lantern.

If your friend could provide us with a more detailed report of his sighting, perhaps that could help us refine our thoughts a little further.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Chinese lanterns make great decorations yet horrible UFOs

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
There have been a lot of Chinese Lanterns over the east end of Glasgow recently and I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of them now that the £ shops are selling them.

We watched one fly over last night, I'm thinking of buying a few for New Year

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I'm 99.9% certain that's a Chinese lantern. I let one off myself last night. The lanterns are responsible for a lot of UFO sightings these days - people get confused because they appear to move quickly across the sky when there is no wind, but anyone who knows a bit about air currents will tell you they change vastly teh higher up you go. The air can be very still at ground level but the wind can really pick up even 30 or 40 feet up.

It's a Chinese lantern.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to post back. I thought this maybe a chinese lantern (... or the death star charging an orange laser)

It's also good to see there are people on here from the area.

The original images are called IMG_1048 and IMG_1050. This suggests there was a picture taken in between. I will see if I can acquire it for verification.

If I haven't answered any questions it is because I don't know the answer yet. As mentioned previously thanks for all the replies.

MrMothman

[edit on 23-8-2010 by MrMothman]

[edit on 23-8-2010 by MrMothman]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cazzy2211
There have been a lot of Chinese Lanterns over the east end of Glasgow recently and I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of them now that the £ shops are selling them.

We watched one fly over last night, I'm thinking of buying a few for New Year

I'm thinking of buying a shotgun and bringing down any more of these annoying things I set eyes on.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Slippery Jim

I'm with you on this. When I first saw a Chinese Lantern I thought they were nice. I fecking hate them now!!!

Somebody I know had a visit by intelligence years ago in Derbyshire, England. He hand made what are now called a Chinese Lantern using bin liners and bottle tops and the there were lots of local reports. Apparently he was warned against doing it again (naugthy boy) lol. That was before they were commercially available. I bet the authorities weren't expecting this to happen.

I did hear somebody say that there were plans to ban them in the UK. Apparently air traffic controllers are sick of them. So are UFO researchers like me! Here's hoping...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hi guys, I can't get the image 1049

I've been reading up on the lanterns the past few days, they seem to be a real nuisance, especially with the coast guard

>>> news.bbc.co.uk...

I suppose we'll have to leave it at that. Thanks again for the replies.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I hate to see it be left as so - especially in light of so many factors being missing as to what direction and where it was taken but fair do's.

Next time though you know the criteria so stick to it when you're asking your pal or when you're seeing it for yourself.

Out of curiosity where was the photograph taken?

I've been away from Glasgow for a good wee while and I'd like to know.

Regards,

-m0r

top topics

join