It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blagojevich: Rahm Emanuel and Other Big-Wigs Will Take Stand in Second Trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dcb7810fe6c8.jpg[/atsimg]

It looks like former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is willing to snitch out other heavy-hitting politicians in an effort to save his own skin. Check out this article from FOX News:

In a second trial on corruption charges, the defense may call Washington officials like White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Sunday.

Blagojevich said he talked plenty with several Washington bigwigs about political horse-trading when he was responsible for filling the Senate seat vacated by President Obama, but none did anything wrong.

"In the second round, we're going to put a defense on, I'm certain. And in that particular case, you know, we're going to call witnesses like Rahm Emanuel, Senator Harry Reid, Senator (Robert) Menendez, Congressman (Jesse) Jackson, Congressman (Jerry) Costello, and a host of other leading Democrats who were involved in this process to try to make a decision on who the next senator should be," he told "Fox News Sunday."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.foxnews.com...

It appears as if Blagojevich is threatening to pull others down with him, or at least point the finger at them, in an effort to get some strings pulled or at least put some weight on the scales of justice. I have almost no doubt in mind that Blagojevich is not a loner in this scandal, as I'm sure this kind of thing is as common as the fake smile of a politician, but I just can't see this strategy working. Instead, Rahm and other officials will simply have the judge rule that their testimony is not needed and/or legal.

There is no way that the elite are going to allow someone like Blagojevich to expose their dirty work or the greasy mechanics of American politics. Regardless, I'm sure this is going to be an interesting show in the months to come.

What do other members think? Will this strategy of Blagojevich's work, or will it back-fire on him? Will the public get some scraps of meat, a rare public glimpse at corruption leading all the way up to the white house?

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Rather than get Rahm and others to testify they will modify or drop the charges. The Democratic top brass aren't going down with this small fry.
Chicago politics have long been corrupt. No telling how many judges they already have in their pockets.
I was under the impression that he was already tried but I guess this is for other charges?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Blagojevich must remember two things.

He is on trial not them. Them doing the same thing doesn't make it legal. He got caught, they didn't.

Second, there is a strong chance he will be convicted just because he shows how politics really works. People don't really want to know how it works or all the bastards would be just one termers instead of retiring from elected office.

The government will file charges again to bankrupt Blagojevich so he can do nothing in the future. His financial and personal reputation will be ruined regardless of outcome.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

I think he is trying to get some strings pulled, not really counting on it making him look innocent. It appears as if he is trying to intimidate these officials to put pressure on the courts to drop the charges.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dcb7810fe6c8.jpg[/atsimg]

It looks like former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is willing to snitch out other heavy-hitting politicians in an effort to save his own skin. Check out this article from FOX News:

In a second trial on corruption charges, the defense may call Washington officials like White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Sunday.

Blagojevich said he talked plenty with several Washington bigwigs about political horse-trading when he was responsible for filling the Senate seat vacated by President Obama, but none did anything wrong.

"In the second round, we're going to put a defense on, I'm certain. And in that particular case, you know, we're going to call witnesses like Rahm Emanuel, Senator Harry Reid, Senator (Robert) Menendez, Congressman (Jesse) Jackson, Congressman (Jerry) Costello, and a host of other leading Democrats who were involved in this process to try to make a decision on who the next senator should be," he told "Fox News Sunday."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.foxnews.com...

It appears as if Blagojevich is threatening to pull others down with him, or at least point the finger at them, in an effort to get some strings pulled or at least put some weight on the scales of justice. I have almost no doubt in mind that Blagojevich is not a loner in this scandal, as I'm sure this kind of thing is as common as the fake smile of a politician, but I just can't see this strategy working. Instead, Rahm and other officials will simply have the judge rule that their testimony is not needed and/or legal.

There is no way that the elite are going to allow someone like Blagojevich to expose their dirty work or the greasy mechanics of American politics. Regardless, I'm sure this is going to be an interesting show in the months to come.

What do other members think? Will this strategy of Blagojevich's work, or will it back-fire on him? Will the public get some scraps of meat, a rare public glimpse at corruption leading all the way up to the white house?

--airspoon

Let me guess. Your a republican smear agent right?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xenopathic Investigator

This is not a Republicans or Democrat issue, but a bold and blatant manipulation of the political system. Blagojevich and his defense ought to have been able to bring those people to testify at the first trial. However, Judge, James Zagel, put a kibosh on the whole thing and therefore the jury had nothing to go on.

The trial became a bunch of half-truths and innuendos, but nothing of substantive evidence to back the voracious claims made by the government about corruption. There is more to this than meets the eye, and from the tapes I heard from the trial; names like Harry Reid, Barack Obama, Jessie Jackson Jr. and other political heavy-hitters came up quite often.

Now, as it stands now; Blagojevich is guilty of lying to Federal Investigators and a felon. However, a man cannot be made guilty for being in debt, spending thousands on their wardrobe, for thinking out loud, or using profanities when speaking. That is all I got from the government's prosecution and evidence in this case. I was really hoping more would come out about the shady happenings in Illinois? I suspect we will have to wait as the government shakes the tax payer tilt one last time to muzzle Blago and put him behind bars. This is bigger than Blagojevich, and he is only bringing to light that fact.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

He was already tried once on the same charges, but the jury did not return a verdict on those charges; it was "hung".

I don't really understand how he can be again put at risk of life or limb on the same charges either, but I guess the Constitution isn't read in plain English any more.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by oniongrass

Unless he is found guilty or acquitted, he can be tried again on the same charges. If all of the jurors found him to be not guilty, then he couldn't be tried again but because they couldn't come to a unanimous descision, the prosecuter has the authority to decide if another trial is warranted. In essence, the jury has to come to an unanimous decision either way.

--airspoon

[edit on 22-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Well yes I know that, it's always been that way during my lifetime, and I'm sure it's been debated in a Constitutional context, but it doesn't really make sense to me. He already had one trial, and that's all the 5th Amendment allows.

... nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; ...

new topics

top topics

join