It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Like To Biggie Size Your Cough Syrup?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
All,

I pass at least 8 different McDonalds on the way to work, primarily off exits on the interstate and occasionally I will stop to get a quick breakfast or just a drink. But there are a few I have always refused to stop at to buy soda because they have an absolute distinct taste of 'cough' syrup or some type of medicine.

The one close my house has never had that problem until this morning and I'm at a loss as to what could explain it. A few people that took a sip were immediately putting it down and recoiling in disgust, as I was, but most people blissfully downed the entire drink.

I saw this same type of behavior a year ago when we went to a neighboring city to shop and the drinks and water itself tasted like sewage (self-service drink fountains). It taste was absolutely the unmistakable smell of sewage and no one in the restaurant was complaining except for us.

A third example was just based on smell, a few months ago we went in to a Ted's Montana Grill and the smell of sewage slapped us in the face as we walked through the door. I was immediately put off but we managed to make it to the booth before I told my wife I couldn't handle it and we had to leave and she agreed but again no one else seemed to mind both people that were already there and people coming in. I would have compared it to eating dinner atop the worst gas-station toilet you've ever been to.

Back to the question at hand though - is there any non-conspiratorial explanation as to why multiple different McDonalds would have sodas that would have the unmistakable taste of medicine - specifically a 'cough' syrup taste? I did a search and didn't see any similar complaints or explanations.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
restaurants are free to control the syrup-to-carbonated water mix of their sodas. I'm sure all of them get their soda-boxes (syrup) from the same supplier

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I believe the insider term is "brix" mixture - how much syrup and carbonation are mixed. Technicians from the soda companies calibrate this from time to time.

Also it's possible that chemicals used to clean the nozzles were not washed off properly.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Do they serve Coca-Cola?!
I thought that contained a cough suppressant
called "coke" syrup. I dunno though.

I havent had fast food in over 10 years.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
Restaurants are free to control the syrup-to-carbonated water mix of their sodas. I'm sure all of them get their soda-boxes (syrup) from the same supplier.

Right, so I've been to a lot of restaurants where the mix was off and there was either too much syrup or not enough syrup but its never tasted like I was downing Vick Nyquil.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
Do they serve Coca-Cola?! I thought that contained a cough suppressant
called "coke" syrup.

I think the idea that Coke contained cough suppressant (at least to my knowledge) has been identified as an urban legend. Although, I'm starting to think at least some do some of the time. If it is a dirty nozzle or too much of one chemical in the syrup that is a bit scary that it can taste so similar to a bad tasting cough syrup.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

I managed a fast food place for almost six years when I was in my twenties and the mixture was usually the reason for complaints about soda tasting funny.

This tended to happen when the bag of syrup was either first replaced or when it was just about to run out. Carbonation has a very bitter taste and if not properly mixed tends to give a chemical sort of taste to the beverage.

Then again, this is about half what I was told and half based upon experience and deduction. So I might be off somewhat on the particulars.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

Originally posted by cluckerspud
Do they serve Coca-Cola?! I thought that contained a cough suppressant
called "coke" syrup.

I think the idea that Coke contained cough suppressant (at least to my knowledge) has been identified as an urban legend. Although, I'm starting to think at least some do some of the time. If it is a dirty nozzle or too much of one chemical in the syrup that is a bit scary that it can taste so similar to a bad tasting cough syrup.

Well, I have memories around 5 or 6 of my mom actually giving me coke
syrup. But now that I think about it, I think it was for upset stomachs. But if
my memory serves me correct it was for medical use at one time.

Though a dirty nozzle could certainly explain some odd tastes. Either way,
best bet is to avoid those places all together.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

Coke was originally formulated and marketed as a patent medicine. In those days it contained coc aine so it probably did make folks feel better!

The stuff one learns living in Atlanta, home of the Coca Cola Company.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Hello,

Very familiar with what the OP is referring to. as the OP is refering to the taste and I'm sure it's not suggested that it's actual cough syrup.
The taste is certainly not from the mixture calibration.
I have never been able to identify what it actually is, I worked at several soda fountains and an very familiar with the set up.
The taste is chemical and my guess is that a cleaning agent is involved, maybe from the syrup provider. We never had to clean the lines.
I aslo considered the line was previously used for another flavor but no other flavor get close to this.
I drink diet colas and this is the only flavor which I have experience with this cough syrup like taste.
Good post!

[edit on 20-8-2010 by zerocd]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerocd
I drink diet colas and this is the only flavor which I have experience with this cough syrup like taste.
Good post!
[edit on 20-8-2010 by zerocd]

Thanks Zerocd - it was a diet colas this morning as well. I have a hard time believing its the mixture as well unless McDonalds has a unique mixture because I've had far more than I should have had throughout my life and we eat out very often and I've only ever experienced this cough medicine taste at multiple McDonalds.

I think the other part of this is how many people will eat/drink whatever they are given despite the horrible smell or horrible taste. I have to say its been very frustrating - especially when the water itself tasted and smelled of sewage in my other example and we sat back and watched hundreds of people blissfully downing it. I think in that case it was the city water that was compromised because we went to a second restaurant and the water was the same.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Do you think that maybe diet sodas and cough syrups use the same artificial sweetener? Myself I would take a hard look at that sweetener before I ingested it. Good Luck

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
The stuff one learns living in Atlanta, home of the Coca Cola Company.

Thanks for the input. Im sure it made plenty feel better.
I have always associated Atlanta with The Masquerade and the Clermont
Lounge!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
There is a moral to this story. Dont drink and eat crap! I know its a cliche, but we really are what we eat.

Why not make your own sandwiches at home? Take a flask of fruit tea or some fruit juice with you, it will not only ensure you know exactly what is in your food - but will save you money too. If you dont have time in the morning to make them then do them the evening before!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Sounds like it's line cleaner, they are not flushing there systems properly after cleaning the lines, or maybe the lines are old and deteriorating... Too much of the line cleaner could make you blind as it's toxic, complain and get some freebies!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
i swear soda pop is one of the worst things you could put in your body..
look around.. big soda drinkers- are big. Huge..not husky- with like some muscle tone-
every time i'm in the store i marvel at how huge people are..

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I would probably agree with line cleaner or sanitizer/chlorine that the nozzles are left to soak in overnight not being washed/flushed properly may account for a chemical taste,
But the smell of sewage, apart from the fact that people that consume allot of McDonald's literally smell like sewage no kidding, i would probably put this to broken sewage pipes and heavy toilet use
sorry i don't think McDonald's is trying to poison you although you will never know until you have the drink chemically analysed,

Stay on the safe side eat healthy and live a long life a good book for this purpose is the tao of health sex and longevity,
Its on amazon and quite affordable

Good Luck

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by p51mustang

i down like 7 or 8 sodas a day and i'm not big or overweight, people are fat because of the lack of exercise and poor eating habits not just soda.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery
I would probably agree with line cleaner or sanitizer/chlorine that the nozzles are left to soak in overnight not being washed/flushed properly may account for a chemical taste.

I would tend to agree but I keep coming back to the fact that I've only had this experience at different McDonalds which I suppose would mean only they use this particular type of line cleaner or are the only ones that have a process which allows it to be left in the lines.

new topics

top topics

join