It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant rats found on UK housing estate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Anyone remember the James Herbert books?

That is what this reminds me of...

Monster Rat Shot Dead On Housing Estate

Wildlife experts have said reports of a colony of giant rats need to be investigated after a huge rodent was shot dead on a West Yorkshire housing estate.

They say that other giant rats have been spotted. The one shot dead was the size of a bulldog... now that a big rat

They also say that these rats could be a descendent of the coypu species. Who knows... maybe escaped pets or zoo animals breeding with regular rats??

Wouldn’t want one of these in my kitchen

Mods: Sorry if this is in the wrong area... thought about Crypto and Fragile Earth but not sure, sorry... feel free to move where you see fit!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I always thought ROUSes didn't exis.t well, I didn't until I led buttercup thru the swamp

even in NYC we don't get em that big. you can stick a license plate on our roaches and drive em around but the rats don't get anywhere near that size.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

I thought he'd have a pair of Reeboks and a tattoo on his neck? Maybe it should have its blood tested...the amount of steroids used around some estates is pretty hardcore.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I would sh%$ a brick if I saw something that size scurrying around my house at night.

Dang, I realize rats can be big, but that's just creepy.

Here's something more for your imaginations and dreams tonight:

Archaeologists discover biggest rat that ever lived

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Was talked about on The One Show - Pet Expert, reckons they are pets that have escaped.......not of UK origin.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Yeap............Big Rat on lead instead of Pitbull - Just walk four foot behind incase you fall over tail.......

PEOPLE!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Are there any reports of these things attacking people, or are they just roaming around?

If the latter then I don't see how there any different then the hundreds of foxes that roam around UK cities at night, I'm assuming that these things don't live down sewers, which is the main problem with normal rats because it spreads diseases and such.

If I saw one I would probably be more tempted to give it some cat food then shoot it

[edit on 19-8-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tarrok
if I saw something that size scurrying around my house at night.

I would imagine a rat that size saunters.

after a second viewing, I'm wondering if, perhaps there are 4 smart mouthed turtles lurking under the house as well.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Personally i also wouldn’t shoot one... i would call the RSPCA or someone similar...

However, i wouldn’t give it cat food either. The last thing wild animals needs is to become accustomed to the most ferocious creature on the planet (humans)

Believe it or not... it is better all-round if they remain afraid of humans!

People who feed wild animals are often doing more harm than good.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I would honestly and literally pap my pants; I have a phobia about rats.

When I saw the photo in the paper I was reading I broke out into a sweat but couldn't turn the page and just stared at the photo completely slack jawed and crapping myself.

I honestly would have to move away, I would never be able to sleep in any house where I had seen a rat let alone something that size!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Those would make great survival food for us city dwellers once the SHTF.
And they breed quickly too

I am not scared of rats but those big ones seem dangerous.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Thank you so much for ruin my lunch.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Same here. Those SOBs scare the crap out of me. As phobias go, being scared of a nasty disease-carrying critter is a good thing.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
yikes. That thing looks like it could bite your head off, man.

Someone give me a proton pack.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think it would be safe to say I'd probably scream like a little girl if I was waking around my house at night and stumbled into that thing....

An epic battle would probably ensue.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If I could have rats of that size, I would.

I'm sure if their temperament and intelligence is anything like that of normal rats, they would make absolutely awesome pets.

As it is, pet rats are like ticklish pocket puppies. I could imagine one really the size of a puppy, would be cuddly too.

EDIT: Typo fix

[edit on 19-8-2010 by LostNemesis]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I would imagine a rat that size saunters.

That doesn't help, I would probably mistake it for one of the cats in the household. Right until my hand reaches down, pets the rat and then loses a finger.

I don't think my cats would help with something of that size either. Having said that, their biggest trophy has been a squirrel. How they avoided being scratched by its TALONS, I will never know.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Tarrok

Don't underestimate cats, they are like little tigers

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think this is probably just a hoax. I suspect the photo shows the corpse of a gambian pouched rat. They are becoming increasingly popular as pets in the UK.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Could be.

Conveniently, the carcass - after being photographed - was thrown away and then mysteriously vanished, presumed eaten by a fox .....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join