It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your home from 114 million miles away...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

There's a comet in there too...top centre and slightly to the right. Any ATS astronomers in here who can identify it?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
*only read first page*

it must be lonely being the MESSENGER. seeing earth so little with her best friends moon and sun is pretty awesome. look at all the other stars around them, the suburban part of our galazy is full of neighborhoods.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Just absolutely beautiful !

Thank you for this thread

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

This is a beautiful visage of Earth!

Reminds me of looking through my telescope at Jupiter, surrounded by Io/Europa/Ganymede/Callisto. Ahhh how i love space

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

I have tree cabinets of books at my place. All of these books are SF. You know, the old fashioned kind depicting the year 2419 with people smoking cigars, feeding punched cards into bulby computers occupying the bulk of huge rocket ships. No storyline is to weird for me, as long as it's backed by a speck of science. I see myself as an open-minded person when it comes to wild and cool theories.

But for every cool theory there is a counter theory lurking somewhere. For me to go along with the cool theory, the not so cool theory has to be found and shattered. I see this as my fail-safe to not leave the earth before I have solid wings.

The whateverse to be teaming with life is not a new theory to me. In fact, I've been on that bandwagon for quite some time. I stepped off because I felt things needed some hard backings before it earned my support. I am sympathetic to the idea, but will no longer support it for lack of hardness. The Rare earth hypothesis -to me- holds more hardness, so I stepped over to that side. That situation is by no means solid state.

You can see it like this: Whenever a leap of faith is needed to go somewhere, I will not go there. Whenever stuff needs to come out of thin air to make something work, I will reject. One lie will make me walk away to not return -rejecting the presented information as well as the one that deemed such behaviour necessary to get others to believe. Propaganda techniques - sensationalizing - half truths - cliffhangers - what ifs and all those other shady ways to not go straight to the core of proof 'Ill reject at an instance. Good science/ utter truth does not need any of that.

the existence of aliens is sort of my religion in a way.

I simply cannot go where you are going for there is no religion that gets to the other side of my rejection curve. That does not mean I am into rejecting anything I can't understand. Those topics I'll be open-minded towards, but that does not involve believing. I keep my distance, for I've been sucked in way to easily in the past. Once behind the event horizon of a fantasy/religion/good story/hoax you can not see clearly beyond that no more. The energies involved to get back into free space are enormous.

I can enjoy – respect - sympathise - take in account - amaze - like - play with - be open-minded about - new viewpoints, but I can never ever take that leap beyond any horizon again for it will suck me away from the free space I have fought so hard to get back into.

What would change the world as we know it?

Someone knew a world where it was normal to have slaves. We are slowly leaving behind a world where half of the population was considered to be lesser than the other half. Good to bare children and make house. We had a world where two powers where locked in a deadly stalemate where the slightest mishap could unleash utter worldwide destruction. We had a world where one was dependent on news- papers and television for ones information. Change is all over the place and is not likely to stop doing that for eons to come.

The hypothesis that we were genetically modified to be intelligent came from other intelligent beings would mean that we would not be the first for that to happen. Either way it still means we somehow became intelligent.

In this light, it is fair to theorise that those gene modifying aliens could come back some day and threatening to destroy earth for they are fed up with our species wrongdoings. The leaders of the world might ask for some time to make things right. The aliens, not understanding what could be done in a few days, grant the request anyway and stand down.

What would change the world as we know it? Either a eco/manmade event where the masses die, Also new species of higher intelligent species coming to uplift us technologically and change our warlike attitude

After a few days, the leaders of the world step forward to the alien council and proudly present a world peace treaty. The aliens are stumped for a while then start rolling around the floor in laughter.

"That's the problem with you earthbugs", one of the floored god's manages to squeeze out. "We don't know what went wrong, but your species went looking for peace the minute we gave you warrior brains and weapons. You are a disgrace!"

(this story isn't mine, but an out of memory summary of a short story I have read a long time ago of which I do not remember the title nor the author.)

You see, for every cool theory there is a maybe lesser cool counterpart that is not lesser possible.

If aliens exist, as I hope they do, they might one day be hovering above our cities. Now to take for granted that them would be peaceful, that's another leap of faith I am not willing to take.

We might just be made to be harvested to fight as engineered warriors in our creators stellar wars.

Which I hope not...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
reply to post by kai22

I don't think we matter at all. The sad thing is, with all of the money, power and resources on this planet, we still wouldn't have enough to explore the universe to a distance where there may be other life. So instead, we will waste everything we have fighting each other like Neanderthals until we destroy ourselves and the one place we have to call home.

Isn't it great. All the resources on this rock and all the technology and all of mankinds study and learning goes to simply destroying their own home. Sorta reminds me of an old barroom brawl, there will be a fight tonight even if we must fight each other.

Neanderthals I agree

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
phfft. 114 million miles.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2121311Star791
If you don't mind me asking, why are we insignificant? What the fact that all the universe stories that has been fed to you is a lie? And that big blue sky isn't even a sky? Please tell me if anyone has actually been to space and came back down to talk about it? Nope no one has, because space doesn't exist, neither does that astronauts (sorry no spell check) that said they have been there.

Its a lot for you to wrap your head around I know but I'm sure you'll scuff this to the side and believe what you have been spoon fed to believe.

Life has been around for less than 300 years, we were not around that long, our existance is also spoon fed lies, those who choose to believe the non sence stories about anything conserning our race are really just zombies.

Please enlighten me. If we have been spoon fed this false reality, 'they' are very convincing. No one has been to space and come back to talk about it? hmm

I think evidence against space being real significantly outweighs the theory that space doesn't exist. Please explain what we are existing in if all we know isn't real.. the matrix? I think you should start another thread.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder how long it will take some enterprising soul to crop and post that picture as proof of Nibiru?

not that I don't wonder about the whole Nibiru thing, but I'm just saying

that is an amazing picture though... seriously, as messed up as we are, we shine in the heavens

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Check out this website. You will find more images of earth from planetary spacecraft. Enjoy!

Address:
www.planetary.org...

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Thank you very much for posting this and linking to an awsome article and info. I know Im adding nothing more than my inner feelings on the subject and just to say thank you !! s&f

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Almost makes you realize why the ancients saw the moon as an extension of the sun seeing it glow like that huh?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join