It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Hand account: Florida Beaches Are Polluted With Oil (I was wrong)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Let me start by saying my heart breaks for you. I have been fishing in the Gulf for over 30 years, spending much time in both St Bernard Parish outside New Orleans and Destin as well. I have read your post and some of the other replies and I must say, I think too many of you in the Gulf are TRUSTING what the Fed and BP are telling you and it may end up costing you more than I want to say.

There are reports from UGA that only 25% of the oil has been cleaned up.

More and more evidence shows tat there are huge plums of oil submerged several hundred feet down, they are vast and are not going to evaporate or disperse anytime soon.

There are massive fish die offs all up and down the EAST COAST. This is due to the methane and oxygen depletion affecting the entire region now.

Also, you were/are in favor of using dispersents? Are you kidding me? Corexit 9500 is lethal and is going to end up causing tremendous death, and you, with a Chemist background, are letting your children swim in this?? I feel you have a great disconnect, at least until it hit you literally in the face that the Fed and BP are lying about everything involved with this disaster.

This is going to last for decades, the worst is yet to come because we have not felt the full effects on the food chain, Corexit and the submerged oil. And it is not measured in gallons, it is barrels of oil. Millions of barrels of oil, 100's of millions of gallons.

God Bless you, stay out of the water friend.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
As one living there my whole life, I can tell you that even the NE Fl beaches are not right. There is a brown green algae layer on the sand where the surf comes in, and a peculiar lingering foam as the waves wash up (and other symptoms). We have seriously screwed up the food chain and the effects will not become fully evident for months and even years.

Meanwhile, the insanity of our society sweeps this under the rug and gets hung up on Lindsay Lohan, iphones, Mausoleum at ground zero etc etc. It's like obsessing over dandruff when you are having atrial fibrillations!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
As one living there my whole life, I can tell you that even the NE Fl beaches are not right. There is a brown green algae layer on the sand where the surf comes in, and a peculiar lingering foam as the waves wash up (and other symptoms). We have seriously screwed up the food chain and the effects will not become fully evident for months and even years.

Meanwhile, the insanity of our society sweeps this under the rug and gets hung up on Lindsay Lohan, iphones, Mosque at ground zero etc etc. It's like obsessing over dandruff when you are having atrial fibrillations!

Finally, isn't it odd that they can't seem to come up with a test for corexit in seafood? Yeah right.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Netties Hermit

I will. I am going to drag her to bed now. I will upload the snapshots tomorrow from my better computer.

I can't wait to see those snapshots...

My 1st 2nd line.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by Come Clean
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I predicted several weeks ago the GOP would hire someone to counter what the government said.

Tell those quacks in Georgia to produce the video of their claim.

What information do you have that the Georgia University conducting these studies was hired by the GOP?

Let's start out with that.

Thanks.

Didn't want you to think I forgot. The following is from their own paper concerning this matter.

"About the Georgia Sea Grant College Program

The Georgia Sea Grant College Program, housed at the University of Georgia, has taken a leading role in working with state legislators toward the development of a monitoring system to check the presence of oil in Georgia's waters and coastal ecosystem."

Report Article

Report PDF

Now tell me again how they have no vested interest in claiming 75% of the oil is still there? State legislators and monitoring systems adds up to a lot of money if you ask me. Which state legislators I wonder?

If there was no oil then there would be no grant money and monitoring systems. Do you agree with that?

Again, I think it's irresponsible to spread fear during these economic hard times. If the beach is bad then don't go. Have the Governor of Florida declare it bad to go too the beach. But to spread internet fear is irresponsible at best.

"We conclude that global temperature continued to rise rapidly in the past decade" and "there has been no reduction in the global warming trend of 0.15-0.20°C/decade that began in the late 1970s."
--Nasa Official

I didn't read anywhere in Georgia's study that took into account rising sea temperatures. Did you? Would rising sea temperatures affect the evaporation rate? Their entire debunking relied on outdated models, wild speculation and gross assumptions. What about hurricanes? Nowhere in their report did it take into account a hurricane picking up the oil and dispersing it. Basically spreading it out over the entire Gulf of Mexico.

The annual summertime dead zone caused by low oxygen levels in water along the Gulf of Mexico shoreline this year is twice as big as last year's, stretching 7,722 square miles across Louisiana's coast well into Texan waters, scientists with the Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium announced Monday.

But there's no evidence the larger expanse of low-oxygen water -- which covers an area as big as Massachusetts, and is linked to nutrients carried to the Gulf by the Mississippi River -- was made bigger by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, scientists said.
--Dead Zones

Other man made events will cause more problems than this spill ever did. Those nutrients they speak of comes from us. Farmers and consumers that dump pollutants into the Mississippi River. It's time to start blaming ourselves also. All we do is blame others and refuse to look inward at ourselves. Our greed and selfishness will kill us all.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Come Clean]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
PS...we all watched those ROV's for months and I never once saw a plume of anything.

Show me the plume then we can talk. Speculating about a plume is called fear mongering.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
just a remark: time to time, i take dip in the River of my native Land, & can see small fishes which run about around, but really nothing like this is on the OP video -- it's picture of only dead Water... very sad.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsup

You do know farmers are responsible for all the dead zones in the world right. What kind of fertilizer do you use in your backyard farm?

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Come Clean]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

PS...we all watched those ROV's for months and I never once saw a plume of anything.

Show me the plume then we can talk. Speculating about a plume is called fear mongering.

since what time, bp has ended up a credible source?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

It is way to early to tell the ripple effect that the oil and chemicals in the Gulf are actually going to have, it takes a while for a ripple to travel. That ripple will likely be traveling in fact all throughout the body the ripple was introduced into and that body would be THE WORLD’S OCEANS and INTERCONNECTED SEAS.

Time will tell.

For those who don't believe what is happening in the Golf along those once pristine beaches think back to a another disaster in our country, anyone who saw the movie Erin Brockovitch and the cotamination of the water in California and what happened to those people and the denial of big business in this case PG&E, take a look at that case. This is just one example of what we may be looking forward to years from now, I hope not.

www.lawbuzz.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Come Clean

I beg to differ.....google Anna Maria Island Florida.......it's in the Gulf and where I live, I'd stack our beaches up against anything in the Caribbean......if it doesn't affect you, and all you have to add is negativity, i feel sorry for you.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by adifferentbreed]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarK0Y

So you believe the stream of oil from the BP Rovers were real but not the absence of plumes from those same BP Rovers? We all saw oil with our eyes correct? So that makes it real. No one has saw plumes of oil under the Gulf surface. So that makes it speculation at best. Which furthers fear mongering. Question, you ever have a child afraid of the monster in her or his closet? A monster no one has ever seen. You open the door and show him or her there is no monster.

The OP is the brother or sister taunting the child claiming there is in fact a monster in the closet. But I digress....

So what you are saying is the oil is still leaking because we can't trust BP's Rovers? According to everyone (using BP's Rovers) the oil has stopped leaking!

Why believe one but not the other?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

"About the Georgia Sea Grant College Program

The Georgia Sea Grant College Program, housed at the University of Georgia, has taken a leading role in working with state legislators toward the development of a monitoring system to check the presence of oil in Georgia's waters and coastal ecosystem."

Now tell me again how they have no vested interest in claiming 75% of the oil is still there? State legislators and monitoring systems adds up to a lot of money if you ask me.

OK. I will ask you.

What evidence do you have that "The Georgia Sea Grant" has recieved any funds from the State of Georgia or it's legislators...or is even capable of doing so?

See...One of the many failures to your logic is that you are confused is in assuming that they are funded by Grants. They are a budgeted division of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)

They are federally funded which in my opinion makes there numbers disagreeing with the Federal Government numbers all the more credible.

Originally in the National Science
Foundation, the National Sea Grant College Program
emerged in the early 1970's as part of the National
Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
in the Department of Commerce (DOC)

smartech.gatech.edu...

National Sea Grant College Program
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
The National Sea Grant College Program is a network of United States colleges and universities involved in scientific research, education, training, and extension projects geared toward the conservation and practical use of the coasts, Great Lakes, and other marine areas. The program is administered by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and is based in Silver Spring, Maryland.

There are 30 members institutions, called sea grant colleges, many but not all of which are located along the coast. The program was instituted in 1966 when Congress passed the National Sea Grant College Program Act.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 18-8-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarK0Y

So you believe the stream of oil from the BP Rovers were real but not the absence of plumes from those same BP Rovers? We all saw oil with our eyes correct? So that makes it real. No one has saw plumes of oil under the Gulf surface. So that makes it speculation at best. Which furthers fear mongering. Question, you ever have a child afraid of the monster in her or his closet? A monster no one has ever seen. You open the door and show him or her there is no monster.

The OP is the brother or sister taunting the child claiming there is in fact a monster in the closet. But I digress....

So what you are saying is the oil is still leaking because we can't trust BP's Rovers? According to everyone (using BP's Rovers) the oil has stopped leaking!

Why believe one but not the other?

i don't doubt bp just faked Live feed -- there're no problemus to make it. take bp's history about tragedy of GoM -- it's pure evidence of criminal covering-up.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
One last thought. The government says 75% is gone. Georgia says 75% is still there.

Somebody is straight up lying!

Now I find it hard to believe the federal government would (along with a swimming Obama) say it's alright to go into the water. Not one coastal Governor has contradicted that claim. Not one! And you know what. It's more their responsibility than it is the feds. Not one has contradicted the governments claim the water is safe.

Now I find it easy for some scientist to justify their research (two months ago) by claiming the government is wrong. If the government is right then their research was wrong. Bye bye grant money.

Since no one knows what the long term impact is then I guess that means no one will be going to the beach, or eating seafood, or recovering their businesses. That's what the fear mongers want. Well, atleast until November.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
1. Two types of dispersant s BP used were banned in the UK ...hello?

2. Scientists have stated they won't know the effects of the spill for years to come... I guess the ecology and everyone in the food chain are now guinea-pigs.

3. 4.9 million barrels of oil removed from the gulf in just a few weeks? ...and I believe in Santa Claus...I don't think so.

4. Our government said the gulf is safe to swim and the seafood is safe to eat... didn't they say the air around the trade towers after 9/11 was safe to breath?

5. Shrimp and crab are being found with ingested oil...yummy, what about the chemical dispersant s that can't be seen?

6. They've found oil on the bottom of the gulf killing off plankton...Hmmm oil and dispersant s aren't dangerous?

...How many red flags do people need to see before they realize the beaches are not safe and the sea food in the gulf isn't safe to eat? I wouldn't step a foot on those beaches or risk putting my family at risk swimming in chemicals that we have no idea what kind of affect they will have on our health in our near future. Don't rely on your government to protect you.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

So you believe the stream of oil from the BP Rovers were real but not the absence of plumes from those same BP Rovers? We all saw oil with our eyes correct?

What am I missing?

The rovers were parked a few yards at best from the point of origin.

How would they even be capable of capturing a resultant Plume?

Unless I am confused you are telling me that a fire produces no smoke because a video a foot away from the fire doesn't show the plume of smoke reaching to the sky?

Seriously...please explain.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
My two cents here:

First off, I am from Florida, east coast. However, I have been a charter boat captain for 25 years, mostly dive boats, but also sport fishing, sailboats, parasail boats, superyachts, pretty much anything that floats. I've also done hundreds of yacht deliveries, I have covered every shore of the Gulf and Florida and the entire Eastern Seaboard hundreds of times. I'm very familiar with the Panhandle, I have been diving up there hundreds of times, and I can tell you the beaches never looked like that before. i am now in Cancun where we are yet to see any effects from this, but I figure it is just a matter of time. I have also studied marine biology plenty, and while not a chemist, I am very familiar with the rules and procedures concerning oil spills in the water.

I am very surprised that people are not freaking out a LOT more about this. The use of dispersants is the big problem here. Rules already in place tell the whole story.

When fueling up at a fuel dock, if you spill enough oil or fuel to create a sheen on the surface, (which ain't much) or sludge or emulsion below the surface, you are liable for a five thousand dollar fine. But, if you take a little dish soap and squirt it onto the rainbows in the water you have created by spilling fuel, it will seem to magically disappear. Of course it doesn't disappear, the soap acts as a DISPERSANT, allowing the oil to bond with the water molecules, and thereby SINK, rather than floating on top as it would normally do, since OIL AND WATER DON'T MIX.

Now the oil is hidden from view, but it is MUCH WORSE. It is now impossible to clean it up, like you normally could by skimming it off the top, and in mixing with the water it now can be breathed in by fish, sucked in by clams and oysters, swallowed by whales and other plankton eaters, and then lay on the bottom poisoning all plant life and fish eggs and larvae.

If you are caught hiding your crime by squirting dispersant onto the oil you have spilled, you will now get a FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR FINE, because what you have done is now at least a hundred times worse.

The point is, using dispersants on oil spills is a PROVEN AND WELL KNOWN CRIME, and is known to cause thousands of times as many problems as oil floating on the surface. So how come a guy like me, who spends almost ALL his time on or in the water, and is highly motivated to keep it clean, hell, we used to do dishes and COOK with the seawater, not anymore, is highly liable for using dispersants on an oil spill, where BP is not liable in any way, and is even somehow perceived as doing something GOOD by spewing this s#&t on a huge oil spill? It's announced on the news that they are spraying MILLIONS OF GALLONS of this toxic waste Corexit into the Gulf, and they are somehow APPLAUDED for it.

Oil floating on the surface also can not evaporate into clouds and then rain down onto the land. Once it is mixed with the water using a dispersant, well, then IT CAN. And will.

The OP's videos are horrifying. Finding loads of DEAD conch with rotting conch still in them lying on the beach is UNHEARD OF, I have never seen anything like that. Seeing lots of horseshoe crabs in their death throes is also something I have NEVER seen, and believe me, I have orders of magnitude more experience than most people. Digging holes in the sand and seeing them fill with BLACK water is also something horrifying. This shows the oil mixed with water is soaking deep into the sand, instead of laying on top of it. This means it will get into the aquifer eventually, not IF, simply WHEN.

This situation is far beyond being "sad" and "icky", and there is a lot more at stake here than tourism, or some shrimpers losing their "livelihood". What do you think folks in Florida are going to think when this stuff starts coming out of their kitchen tap? And there have already been reports of bizarre "acid rain" killing plants a thousand miles away from the Gulf. Coincidence? I think not. Just wait til the first real hurricane comes rip snortin up into the Gulf, and picks up a lot of this "water" and blows it all up inland. It's not going to be, "Eeuw, the beach is icky" it's going to be, "Massive crop failure across the Southeast" and a lot more.

I would advise anyone anywhere near the Gulf coast to sell your house, your business, and everything else and GET OUT while you still can. If you wait until the S starts HTF for real, well, then your house will be worth a nickel or so, and there will be millions of people ahead of you.

Or you could just assume everything is gonna be fine, and go watch some TV, and don't worry about it.....

Just my two cents, maybe I'm wrong.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Now I find it easy for some scientist to justify their research (two months ago) by claiming the government is wrong. If the government is right then their research was wrong. Bye bye grant money.

Wrong...The Georgia Sea Grant Program IS NOT funded by GRANTS!!

See my post a few above on this page.

They are a division of the OF THE GOV.

Please get it straight before continuing to claim that they commited fraud for non-existent grant money.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Overfishing and other pollutants are killing the oceans much faster than all the oil spills. We are worried about the wrong thing. I'm having gulf shrimp for dinner, and some said there would be none.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join