It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security Tackles and Chokes Deaf Customer For Failing to Respond

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Security Tackles and Chokes Deaf Customer For Failing to Respond

www.youtube.com

'Two deaf shoppers at XXI in Los Angeles, CA were approached by security and asked for their receipts. One was tackled and choked for an extended length of time while the other pleaded with security to stop, trying to explain that they are deaf. Police responded and arrested the alleged shoplifter for robbery and assault. By the looks of this video, it is hard to imagine how the deaf man laying on the ground turning purple from lack of oxygen assaulted anyone.'
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I felt sickened when I watched this. It seems pretty obvious to me from the video that his brother, at least, is deaf and is trying to use sign language.

I don't know whether this man had stolen anything or not, but either way, the excessive and dangerous use of force on this man is downright wrong.

Interestingly, there is another video about a different man who died from exactly this. He had stolen a tube of toothpaste and was choked to death by security.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Security is allowed to do these kind of things? I've worked security before I had no idea they are allowed to detain, or assault anybody! Well this is California....maybe its different over there.

[edit on 8/14/2010 by The Endtime Warrior]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It's unclear what really happened at this point. It was first reported that they didn't steal anything but the alarm system went off because a clerk error. Being deaf they didn't notice and kept going which prompted the security guard to attack them. For some reason however he is now charged with robbery which means that he used either fear or force to steal something. Curiously enough the security guard who committed a felony on film hasn't been charged with anything. Discusting

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Wcitizen.....

These 2 security guards are dangerous morons.

Unfortunately, that occupation attracts such total rock apes.

That is a shame because such people cast a strongly negative pall over the people who try to do the job properly & decently.

Regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The behavior of these security people is so far out of line as to be laughable and is so highly actionable that I am sure lawyers are already throwing offers out to avoid the lawsuit and publicity.

Just a couple of bullies who can't quite concieve of the fact that high school ended for them some time ago.

Don't feel too bad for the deaf guy. He had a bad day but I assure you, he is going to get paid!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

You bring up a good point mmn...there should be some sort of class people who do security should have to take in order to see if they have the right temperament for the "trade". I feel many of these types may be taking things a bit too personal. It is a form of customer service, after all.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Terrible.

Can't the deaf wear a bracelet or pendant identifying them as deaf? Hopefully it would eliminate instances such as this.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Terrible.

Can't the deaf wear a bracelet or pendant identifying them as deaf? Hopefully it would eliminate instances such as this.

Oh no! I would abhor that day when we would all have to wear identifiers for us to be singled out and attacked by other groups that disagree. Or seek to exploit. Muggers? Rapists? Nazi Germany anybody?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Well both of them are soon to be millionaires. Law states: You do not have to show receipt at the door. Security is not even allowed to stand between you and the door, let alone prevent you physically from leaving. Security may never touch you unless properly certified, and in CA even then there are specific rules of engagement.

They will sue (and win) for... Assault, False Imprisonment and possibly attempted murder (choking).

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

I understand your concern and wanting to find a solution, but this is a bad idea. If deaf people wore something that identified them as deaf, they could easily become victims of crime, simply because they may not be able to call out for help

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior

Terrible.

Oh no! I would abhor that day when we would all have to wear identifiers for us to be singled out and attacked by other groups that disagree. Or seek to exploit. Muggers? Rapists? Nazi Germany anybody?

Oh God, puh-leeeze! Millions of medical patients wear identifiers - diabetics, epileptics, heart patients, etc. And they gladly wear them, voluntarily. It can save their lives. The clues that it gives to first responders is invaluable.

That was the most wacked out response I've ever seen, sir. :shk:

[edit on 14-8-2010 by mishigas]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
if a man actually was choked "to death" by a security guard, then that's murder.

The body shuts the brain down and you go unconscious after so long without oxygen, but you don't die.

So once the struggling ends, if they continue to restrict, it's murder.

I'd like to see a news paper clipping or something to prove that though, sounds a little made-up to me.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Its only whacked out because it was in total disagreement with what you posted. Truth be told, I was only implying that making deaf people easily identifiable could have bad consequences as well. Forget what I said about everything else

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I was only implying that making deaf people easily identifiable could have bad consequences as well.

The Endtime Warrior.....

As I think about that, I believe you're right.

That could cause some problems.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Its only whacked out because it was in total disagreement with what you posted. Truth be told, I was only implying that making deaf people easily identifiable could have bad consequences as well. Forget what I said about everything else

It was wacked out because of the immediacy of your response. It took you no time at all to shoot from the hip. It showed where your head is.

I suppose that handicap license plates are dangerous, by your logic, eh? Or service animals. Or white-tipped canes. Or wheelchairs.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by mishigas]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Is a parked car with handicapped plates easier to break into versus a parked car without handicapped plates? You tell me

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Is a parked car with handicapped plates easier to break into versus a parked car without handicapped plates? You tell me

Talk about the absurd questions. :shk: Now I know you're really wacked out.
( j/k)

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Oh God, puh-leeeze! Millions of medical patients wear identifiers - diabetics, epileptics, heart patients, etc. And they gladly wear them, voluntarily. It can save their lives. The clues that it gives to first responders is invaluable.

Yes but they do that for MEDICAL reasons not to prevent being beaten up. You are suggesting they be identified as deaf to prevent unlawful assaults? Your idea makes no sense and would encourage discrimination.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Yes but they do that for MEDICAL reasons not to prevent being beaten up. You are suggesting they be identified as deaf to prevent unlawful assaults? Your idea makes no sense and would encourage discrimination.

And when did you get the gift of precognition? That wasn't what I meant at all. Don't presume to read my mind. I meant for it to be a medical aid; the fact that it might prevent assaults like this one are just icing on the cake.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join