It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion Responsible for War

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This may not classify as "conspiracy", but it's my thoughts and I would like to hear comments on it. Sorry if it's been brought up before I searched and couldn't find anything about it. And since It's my own thoughts that may be a good thing....

It is my belief that Religion is the basis of almost all wars. Or at least beliefs maybe not religion but beliefs at least. Wars start and continue because someone does not agree with someone else. Such as the war on Iraq. We went over there with the belief they had nuclear weapons. We didn't find any. Even though we didn't find any weapons we had it in our heads that they were there. So, what do we do start a war with them any way. Why because it's the american way. If we don't like the way someone is running their country let's just go in ourselves and take it over and run it how we think it should be run. However the other people don't like that too much. It's all because Difference in beliefs. There really isn't even a reason for us to be over there.

Some of you might be saying "DUH, we all know this" but think about it. I don't have religion to cloud my mind. I've never been taught that God does exsist and you should believe in him and only him. All I see is human feelings and compassion. I'm sorry but I love all human beings whether they believe in God, Satan, Muhammad(can't spell), Odin, Ra, Etc... All I can see through my eyes is that human beings need to stop fighting over stuff that doesn't matter. We are destroying ourselves all because someone else believes something we don't. War is two big shots who run two different countries comparing the Size of their penises. There are much more important things to worry about then penis size and who has more nuclear weapons.

I know this is very poorly written. i can have my moments but this is not one of them. I would like some feedback though.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I don't agree with your termanology about the U.S.A but I do agree with your views about religion. I've always said that religion creates hate which creates death. Everything bad that happens usually has to do with religions. You've got mass suicides, priest rapists, wars, etc. and they all have to do with religion. Sure they all teach you to love eachother and if you don't then your not following your faith correctly but when it all comes down to it each and everyone of you is wrong in the others eyes. Nobody will ever prove anyone elses religion wrong....it will never happen so why fight about it? Because you all want the proof so bad to know that what your believing in is real.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
We are basicly having a fight to see whose god can kick whose butt. Really we are comparing the god's penises instead of the people fighting the war.

I think Christianity is messed up any way. At least around where I live. I'm not saying that all are bad but the Christians around here are all hypocrites. They tell people not to do certain things because it goes against God then they turn around and do it. I'm thinking You can not have a strong devotion to your religion and live your life the way you do. That is why I'm glad I don't have a religion. Religion just gets in the way of having fun.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hey Hombre..,

So if I understand you correctly, you dont see anything wrong with mass killing or extermination of a race. As long as everyone loves each other as they do it. Im curious how you have been able to avoid this whole faith system since millions have died. Sorry to come off like that, but the whole lets just love everyone Idea just doesn't work when someone intrudes on your life. Maybe you have been blessed enough not to experience evil people, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just not in your world. If you don't believe in evil, just turn on the news. You can throw as much love and kindness as you want at these evil people, and all they will want to do is to kill you. Lets not fight Hitler, lets love Hitler

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Just read your second post Hombre, thought I would reply.

The funny thing about christianity is that the bible agrees with you. You said it doesn't make sense to tell people one way and live another. I think you are closer to being religious than you think. I wont throw scipture at you as I know that doesn't help, but the bible teaches that most, MOST!!, later day christians will be just the type of people that you described. It makes things very hard when a religion is used to mock someone. The first lesson the bible teaches is to fix yourself before you go out and try to fix anyone else. If you are ever interested, try reading JOB from the bible, I gurantee it will be different than what you see in christians you are talking about. And to end all war.... God said that if someone tries to take the shirt of your back, then to give them your coat too. Who could fight if we actually followed this kind of wisdom.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Let us look at some fact about religion:

Because of religion, more human beings have been murdered, tortured, maimed, deigrated, discriminated against, humiliated, hated and scorned than any other reason in the totality of the history of man.

Today the only wars under way are religious wars. Arabs are killing Jews and vice versa. (Palestine and Israel) Ethnically religious groups are killing ethnically religious groups ( Bosnia, Ireland ) in the aftermath of the demise of the Soviet Union. Arabs of one religion are killing Arabs of another. (Iraquis killing Iraquis)

Catholics and Protestants are killing each other in Ireland and the Bristish Isle. There is an endless list of chashes in Africa and the emerging nations of Southeast Asia.

Religion, more than politics and economic, kills and cripples humankind. There has never in all known history been a genocide of anykind which was not fueled by religion. (Hitler against Jews)

Every religious organization of Earth is designed to gain economic and political power for those in the religion. (Bush asking religious organizations to back his agenda)

Most people are bound by ideas which are not true. They believe in myths as if they were fact.

They grow old early in life. The wonderful personal resources available to them are stiffled and lost. ( I know of a girl that got a full scholarship to a major University but she was told by her parents that she can not go away from her home and religion. The family is Jehova witness.) Now what religion like that is allow to stunt young people's grow.

HombreConUnPollo You brough up a good subject.

[edit on 19-6-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Well said marg6043. Very true indeed.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Marg6043,

I understand your frustration, it doesn't make any sense sometimes.

If we talk about religion as a lump some, then yes, it is exactly what has lead to the breakdown of this world. What I know is that any religion that would take the place of God and act in a violent way without the direct command of God himself is a heathen and false religion. There are two sides to this battle. God vs satan. Some still refuse to believe that there is a God, (read my post on which is easier to believe in God or Aliens) and if the truth is that this world revolves around religion then there must be something to it. Why would so many die if they were not sure? There is a differnce between blaming religion on the destruction of life and blaming it on God. God is a creater and Satan is a destroyer. All God asked us to do was to obey 10 rules, but that proved to be too difficult for us, so instead of taking responsibility for our own actions, we just turn it around and blame God again. This is the spin factor. I would like to see some fair and balanced reporting on this topic

I say yes, satan and his deceptive religions are the reason so many choose to destroy, but true christians dont follow a religion, they follow Jesus and Jesus is truth.
If we lived at even 50 percent the standard that Jesus set, what war would there be?

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by popeye0314
... God vs satan. ... I say yes, satan and his deceptive religions are the reason so many choose to destroy, but true christians dont follow a religion, they follow Jesus and Jesus is truth.

You brought up something else that annoys me to no end. All my life I have lived in this little town where going to Church is the thing to do on Sunday. I have never been to church under my own will. If someone asks me if I believe in God I say No. And then they call me a Satan worshipper. I just laugh. Satan is a christian thing. or any religion who believes in God. Satan at one point was an Angel of God. If you believe and worship God and the Bible then you are the Satan Worshipper. If I don't believe in God I can not believe in Satan. This annoys me to no end.

Also look at the apes in the world. They don't have religion like we do. Do you see them going around killing each other all the time? Well if you do please come back to this reality. I will admit yes they do harm each other but it's not like they are carrying around sticks whacking each other cause they say the wrong thing. And also each Alpha Male is allowed to run his group the way he wants.

If we want to study the way humans act on an Animal level we should look at apes. they do not have the social things that we as humans have. Yes they have social structure and things of that nature but they do not have as a complex one as us. They have been left to do what they want. They act on instincts programmed into their head automaticly. For the most part apes are very peaceful. Unlike the human race...

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

What I know is that any religion that would take the place of God and act in a violent way without the direct command of God himself is a heathen and false religion. There are two sides to this battle. God vs satan.

And there's the crux of the problem. How many times has someone gone into war because he believed it was at the command of God? Far too many to count. When you look at things as "God vs. satan", then you are free to interpret the Bible to justify killing those who you don't believe are "true" Christians, whether they follow your particular interpretation of Scripture or not.

The irony here is that the majority of pagan faiths are pacifistic, from Neopaganism to Hinduism, yet by your contention:

satan and his deceptive religions are the reason so many choose to destroy

It doesn't add up.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Without religion many of the american troops that have died in Iraq would not have died. If those people didn't have religion on the brain they would not have the devotion to strap some TNT to themsleves and go kill many people while killing themselves. So no one can say that religion isn't the cause of some violence.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
IMHO its not religion that starts wars our fights its usually land or commodities. Religion is just an excuse. The Palestinians are not fighting Jews there fighting for the land they once owned before one USA walked in and said it isn�t yours now. Id say Hitler didn�t like Jews but then again the Jew in Germany was starting to take over in numbers and wealth. Maybe jealousy there as well as greed as he took all there money. Most religions are good religions it�s the businessmen and ego driven tyrants that want more that start wars.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Man With Chicken cluck and crow some important buck-bucks. Only a giant such as ThomasCrowne could disabuse him of notions about the pure evil that underlies the use of religions.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
God purpose was of love,

Jesus purpose to unite human kind,

Religion purpose to find a common bond to be tolerant of each other,

We do none of these.

And this is an opinion.

and a final thought

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Religions are associated with a belief in a "God". "God" is associated with an afterlife for humans. Why do we have thoughts about an afterlife. Because we can look around and see the complex world and know someone made it. Plus humans have instilled within them the knowledge that there is something more after you die. Yah alot of fighting is based on the different views if God. As far as the christian faith, please remember something, just because someone says they are a christian doen't mean they are. The test of a true Christian is if their words and deeds match. So if they don't match then you are right they are a hypocrite, but not all christians are hypocrites. Some of us take serious our faith in God. That's why Jesus said you must be "born again". You dead sprit is brought back to life(born again) and you can see things as God sees them and can desire right things. If your spirit isn't brought back to life you cannot live right.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dlbrandt
... Why do we have thoughts about an afterlife. Because we can look around and see the complex world and know someone made it. ...

No body I know could have made such a complex world. And the Fact that Science can explain how the Earth formed I believe Science. Also there is no mention of the Universe or any other planets that I know if in the Bible. I have never heard anyone who has a religion say anything about there being a Mars. Or if they do I don't see it going beyond our solar system. So if God created the Universe don't you think his book would tell about what is in the void beyond Earth and our solar system?

If God is so mighty and created everything, why won't he tell us what is beyond our planet?

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
MA, engage your brain before you fingers. I never come to BTS, most here probably have no idea who I am. Have the smarts to wait for me to venture in to religion before you use my name in vain. Also, when you do, don't be stoned when you do. Your sentence makes no sense.

As far as this topic is concerned, you are right - this has been brought up more times than you can count, and were you to peruse the board, you'd have found many other threads on which you could have contributed.

To the point, do you really think that religion has been the basis for most wars? Do you think that without religion we'd have no wars? So, in other words, if nobody believed in God, or a god, you think the world would be without violence?

As usual, a little contemplation on this topic gives the rational-minded the obvious answer.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Thomas Crowne

Your philosophy is remarkable, but what can I say we are only humans, I still think that we can talk about religion in an open minded way and put aside our differences, sad to said that our inability to achieve this is what bring us to wars of any kind.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm not saying that if no one believed in a god or God that we would have no wars. but at least then we would have wars that maybe mattered. At least then it would be about the Human Race and not about some mindless book.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Humans, as individuals, are selfish, dominating and evil at heart. Nations are made up of people.

I'd suggest the desire to build empires and control large parts of the world has caused more wars.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join