It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I have Intellectual Property Rights for what I Write?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This is exactly why I will write large and well thought out posts some times...but I wont put excessive time or research into anything I post on ATS.

Your best bet with large amounts of work is to post it on your own website, then make a thread with a link to it, but that'll probably be seen as advertisement.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 2weird2live2rare2die

2weird2live2rare2die,
They wrote a specific check and wrote it out to 2weird2live2rare2die, and mailed it to the address listed under "location" in your avatar!

didn't you get it?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

no i don't really ever check the mail. the last time i did there were letters saying i owed money to some idiots.. i think they are called utility bills? anyway needless to say if i don't take them out of the mail box then i don't have to pay them, i mean thats just simple physics.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die

no i don't really ever check the mail. the last time i did there were letters saying i owed money to some idiots.. i think they are called utility bills? .

in America we call them "taxes", not utility bills.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

taxation without representation.. the question that comes to mind is who is representing me exactly? it seems like the government looks out for its own. who is looking out for little old me? lately i feel like i have woefully inadequate representation, like a public defender at a murder trial.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die

taxation without representation.. the question that comes to mind is who is representing me exactly? it seems like the government looks out for its own. who is looking out for little old me? lately i feel like i have woefully inadequate representation, like a public defender at a murder trial.

exactly, jokes aside, i can relate. but, let us not forget, that it is those of "inadequate representation" who are the law makers putting fear and ignorance of the law inbetween our effective communications, even way down here amongst the "little old me's/mes'" on our ATS.

i say share what we can or thoughts we have as best as we can, and try to remember how the receptivity of others effects how they percieve what it is we are trying to communicate.

blockades and roadbumps that exist to us effectively communicating begin with and are rooted in our own internal review systems, our own internal communications, our own internal "ATSer".

i think.... (and you don't need to quote me on this, i being of sound mind, or otherwise, wave all copyright laws)

All contradictions of logic, and/or conflicts we cannot resolve internally are being projected upon our shared reality

but, i reserve the right to claim i was absolutley incorrect in my assumption pending further experiences i may gather in the future, or learn from a new perspective when considering my past experiences.

those are some of my thoughts,
et

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
reply to post by GAOTU789

I look forward to it.

I would like to see it put into the T&C, everything else is fine - I just want put in, that ATS will not sell user content to others to and/or for profit, or use it to make profit themselves, outside of this website.

[edit on 12/8/10 by ghostsoldier]

This is a very good point. I also think that if you have something that could potentially be worthwhile to "steal", create your own blogspot website and post a link with quotes from it, just to be safe. ATS should mos def put the above into their policy statement.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It's really quite simple.

You register an account with, and contribute to by your own volition, an Internet discussion board whose Sole requirement is a valid email address. Nothing more, Nothing less.

By doing so, and in accordance with the Terms & Conditions agreed to, you relinquish any and all Exclusive rights to said contributions, content, posts, what have you.

You're free to do with or promote the same as you will, and so is ATS.

Personally,
What part of Non-exclusive rights is so hard to understand/grasp.

If a given member were to seek interests in and/or "publish" their posts on the boards ... Have At It. All the Best, and Hopefully that Member gets a signed "deal".
kudos, big time.

All the while...
If ATS were to realize and/or feel the same worthy "promotion" .... so be it.

Back scratch FTW. !

Where else will you find as large an audience and/or proverbial soapbox from which to "broadcast" one's thoughts to "the world". (?)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Where else will you find as large an audience and/or proverbial soapbox from which to "broadcast" one's thoughts to "the world". (?)
That's exactly it, but just because you're the biggest and best doesn't mean you need to loose the heart and core values where the members are respected above all else, since everything here is member driven. I think if ATS wants rights to my work, they should ask me and pay me...they would expect nothing less of anyone wanting rights to content posted on ATS...does ATS then have to confirm with the original poster it's ok to sell that content, or can ATS just sell it at their own discretion?

[edit on 12/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
This is exactly why I will write large and well thought out posts some times...but I wont put excessive time or research into anything I post on ATS.

Your best bet with large amounts of work is to post it on your own website, then make a thread with a link to it, but that'll probably be seen as advertisement.

I would not advise doing this. You can not post links to your own site until you have been a member for 6 months and get permission from ATS owners/admins.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
No advertising of your personal or other websites until you have been a contributing member for at least 6 months. All URLs must be approved by an ATS Administrator or Site Owner prior to display.

4) Advertising: You will not advertise or promote other discussion boards, chat systems, online communities or other websites on ATS within posts, private messages, avatars or signatures without prior written permission from The Above Network, LLC. You will not choose a username that is the same as website domain, subdomain, or URL for which you are associated. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

[edit on August 12th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Ok, that's certainly fair...but would I still have to pay ATS in order share my work in such a manner?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

If I write something here, and I come across direct plagiarism from something outside of a discussion forum - ie a page of my writings in a book etc. Basically is there a law that stops people from stealing our writings and making money from it... ?

Thanks in advance for anyone reading this, and more so if you answer it.

Wake up people, there is no such thing anymore not for awhile now. Check out the thread: Communications piped into your brain!!!! by boondocksaint for a glimpse of the horrors that await.......

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

No.

Just obtain permission from the owners to use your site as your source. There are plenty of member who do this already.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

but just because you're the biggest and best

Who's "you're"?

I think if ATS wants rights to my work, they should ask me

You registered an account... agreed to the Terms & Conditions.

does ATS then have to confirm with the original poster it's ok to sell that content

You registered an account... agreed to the Terms & Conditions.

but would I still have to pay ATS in order share my work in such a manner?

Not at All ... YOU're free to do with your postings here as YOU see fit ... BUT so is ATS.

NON-exclusive.

YOU can do as YOU see fit, ATS can do as she sees fit, as well.

NON-exclusive.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Ok, well than all is good, if members of 6 months or more are able to do that without cost, I see no problem, the terms are fine for my general postings, thank you for clearing that up mods.

[edit on 12/8/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Unless you have your own domain, blogspot for example would own the rights to your work the same way ATS does anyway.

Now, there is non-exclusive rights, and there is non-exclusive rights.

I don't think its too much to ask that user generated content:
cannot be sold or given to a third party, or used and/or plagiarized by the owners of ATS, directly or indirectly, under their name or assumed names, for profit or self promotion without royalties or full acknowledgment being granted to the user who generated the content.

The example of a short story was suggested by someone earlier...
ETA: What if one of the owners entered that in a contest and won $1million?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Check those two areas, not commonly clicked daily.

The second "single" area plainly state ATS as co-owner, further clarifying any doubt left by possible ambiguous interpretation of the first area...

"copyright & usage" button, bottom right of every post

In the most simple terms, we encourage people to share what they discover here on our websites, as long as they give us proper credit, and don't share entire posts on for-profit websites or other publications. You can include an entire post on another open-access public website, as long as you give the author credit, give AboveTopSecret.com credit, and link back to the URL of the discussion thread post. Linking back to the thread helps people discover the context of the discussion, especially if the content is current and evolving.

and "single" button, the permanent link to cite a certain post as reference

You may use this content as long as you comply with our Creative Commons Deed by properly sourcing the author as owner, source the AboveTopSecret.com website as co-owner, do not create a derivative work, and do not use it for commerical purposes.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

It isn't very hard to register a free hosting account these days and set up a blog within 2 seconds using fantastico...mind you free hosts are never reliable, and you do need slight knowledge of how all that stuff works to set it up...though a cheap hosting plan is all anyone needs for a personal blog, and for anyone who isn't completely strapped for cash the 3 or 4 dollars a month I pay for my plan really isn't noticeable at all...

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

reply to post by CHA0S

The example of a short story was suggested by someone earlier...
ETA: What if one of the owners entered that in a contest and won $1million?

Could I be sued by ATS for not sharing the winnings?

And with regards to jjjtir does that creative commons copy rights and usage apply to the person who wrote it in the first place?

Does this apply to the person who wrote it in the first place:

Attribution. You must attribute authorship of the work to "jjjtir; a member of AboveTopSecret.com", and include the title of the message thread, Do I have Intellectual Property Rights for what I Write?; and this full link URL to the post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes. This includes display on any website that contains advertising, accepts member donations, or any other form of monetary compensation. Display must be open to the general web browsing public with no access restrictions.

No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.

Does it?

Also, has it expired??? 1997 - 2009 ?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I don't know how to properly answer that question, but one thing I can.

The 1997 - 2009 date range refers to Above Network LLC founding date till current year, the owners just didn't update to 2010 yet.

Before being Above Network LLC, officially incorporated in Delaware state, the names and registrations of ATS were different, I don't have the full corporate history ready now to post...

Edit to clarify

The first name ATS was registered under in 1997 wasn't The Above Network LLC.

The current name was only registered and incorporated in Delaware in 2007, a whole decade after the founding date, 1997.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by jjjtir]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join