It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light Therapy/ Chromotherapy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I would like to discuss holistic light therapy and its effects on our energy and health. It is slightly different from color therapy (chromotherapy) as light therapy involves using colored light for healing.

There are various light devices on the market. If you don't have one yet, don't waste your money as you can make one yourself a lot less expensively and experiment with it.

Colored light therapy: Supporters of colored light therapy claim that colored light relieves a number of conditions, including sleep disorders, shoulder pain, diabetes, impotence, and allergies.
Colored light therapy involves the use of colored lights such as blue, red, and violet lights that the practitioner shines directly on the patient. In some cases, the patient purchases the device and uses it at home. Sometimes the lights flash in patterns/

Background

Chromotherapy is a therapeutic science which has been used for thousands of years. The ancient Egyptians used specially built solarium rooms with different colored glasses. The sun would shine through the colored glass onto the patient to achieve specific therapeutic benefits. Others used different colored silk clothes to filter varying shades of light onto their bodies. There is also evidence of others using colored waters and colored gels to achieve the same results.

GOOGLE blue, red, and amber/=yellow light therapy effects.

Red Light Therapy – Rejuvenating. (640nm), for anti-aging and treatment of inflammation of the skin.
Red light is good for all skin types. It rejuvenates the skin by improving blood flow and increasing collagen production. It doesn’t just leave the skin looking younger, but makes it feel younger deep down. The benefits of red/infrared therapy to the skin include:
• Increased radiance (the "Photo-therapy Glow")
• Firms aged and tired skin but let’s be honest, this is not a face lift
• More consistent skin coloration and complexion
• Increases moisture retention
• Increases circulation (due to the increased formation of new capillaries)
• Promotes collagen production for plumper, more youthful looking skin
• Increases oxygenation and restoration of skin's natural cellular activity, which keeps skin renewed and fresh
• Increases lymphatic system drainage which detoxifies the skin tissue for the healthy look and feel of young skin
• Reduces inflammation in skin conditions such as acne
• Reduces sebum by normalizing the skin thereby helping control acne breakouts
The healing power of red/infrared light therapy also decreases skin flaws:
• Acne
• Psoriasis and eczema
• Herpes sores
• Blemishes
• Age spots and photo hyper pigmentation
• Skin redness, including Rosacea
• Fine lines due to sun damage
• Perinocular wrinkles
• Enlarged pores
• Coarse skin
• Mottled complexion
• Skin laxity

RED light stimulates and activates skin cells and promotes blood circulation. VISIBLE red light penetrates to a depth of about 8-10 mm, and is beneficial in treating problems close to the surface such as wounds, cuts, scars, trigger and acupuncture points, and is particularly effective in treating infections. INVISIBLE red light (infrared) is the longest wave length, and penetrates to a depth of about 30-40 mm, which makes it more effective for bones, joints, deep muscles, etc. Infrared light is absorbed by the skin and used as a source of energy to stimulate fibroblast cell activity in the skin, which increases the production of collagen and elastin—the proteins responsible for your skin's tone and elasticity. Most infrared LED lights produce both red and infrared wavelengths, and are effective for rejuvenating aging skin as well as treating acne and blemishes.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by betweentheworlds]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
ORANGE Light Therapy - Vitalizing
Orange light returns a vitality to skin that has lost its sheen. Especially recommended for wedding days and portraits, orange light works on dull complexions to bring out a brilliant healthy glow.

YELLOW Light Therapy – Toning (AMBER)
Yellow light stimulates the nervous and lymphatic systems, toning and strengthening the muscles under the epidermis, bringing tightness back to skin, aiding the anti-aging process.
(580nm), treatment of mild to moderate acne, affects P. acnes bacteria. Penetrates deeper into the skin than Blue LED.

GREEN Light Therapy - Calming
Green light is found at the center of the visible spectrum, bringing balance and calm to the skin and reducing redness. The calming effect also has anti-inflammatory properties and can even help reduce hyper-pigmentation. (535nm), minimizes melanin production, reduces pigmentation, calms inflammation and redness from exfoliation procedures, such as chemical peels.

AQUA Light Therapy - Activating
Aqua light activates the skin. Excellent for mature skin, aqua helps to restore elasticity and suppleness to the skin.

BLUE light (410-470nm): treatment of mild to moderate acne, affects P. acnes bacteria, stabilizes the secretion of sebumBLUE light comforts and soothes skin, and has anti-sensitive functions. It is used clinically to treat acne, as it is absorbed by bacterial acne, resulting in a toxic environment for the bacteria.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
How to make one yourself:

read about it here www.longhaircareforum.com...

I personally did the same thing- just bought on Ebay blue, red and yellow light bulbs of GE Dichro-Color Floodlights GE Dichromatic blue flood lamps.

Another alternative is to use LED or fluorescent lights.

Q. I've been receiving red light therapy to firm my skin and reduce wrinkles and I've seen a slight improvement after many sessions, but not as much as I'd like. Will infrared work better?
A. It's very likely you will see better results with infrared light. As explained in the last question, infrared light penetrates much deeper than red light, so it is able to reach the layer of skin where collagen and elastin are produced.
Q. What is the best wavelength of infrared light for skin rejuvenation? And what is the importance of joule ratings?
A. We feel that the NASA study is the most independent and accurate of the studies, so that was the one used to develop the DPL System. The NASA study used three LED wavelengths: 670nm, 728nm and 880nm. The 880nm (infrared) proved to be the most effective when tested alone in both 3T3 fibroblast DNA synthesis and osteoblasts DNA synthesis. Our DPL System utilizes and 154 infrared (880nm) LEDs and 20 red (660nm) LEDs.
However, the real key to achieving results is the energy delivered (joules/cm2), not the particular nm of the LEDs. Many units have variable energy output that goes as high as 150 joules/cm2. Our DPL Therapy System reaches 4 joules/cm2 on the skin, like the NASA study specified, in 9 minutes.
Q. How long do you need to apply the LED light for skin rejuvenation?
A. Recommended treatment time varies among different brands of LED lights, and I've seen these recommendations change over time as more data is collected. Generally, for the quickest results, daily use is recommended. The recommended treatment time for the light we sell—the DPL™ Therapy System—is nine minutes a day for the first 4-10 weeks, then nine minutes two-three days a week after that.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I'm a Reiki Master and have used Pranic healing (colored energy for healing) for more than 10 years. It's an amazing way to provide quick healing.

I've never heard of positive results from colored lights on a person but I wouldn't discount it, specially with the placebo affect and people's natural desire to heal.

There have been several very scientific, double blind studies on Reiki distance healing showing that works. Do you know if there are any studies on colored-light therapy yet?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
light therapy is not just any colored light- you have to use specific light bulbs (LED or dichroic / dichro color) that emit light at certain wavelengths as measured in nm. it has been scientifically proven to effective for a number of conditions, including the benefits mentioned above.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I've got a Philips Full Spectrum and I enjoy it.

It gets rid of a headache. I don't have any depression or skin problems or anything. It was given to me to review.
I think of it as a home spa treatment. lol

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by betweentheworlds

Betweentheworlds.....

You might find these 2 threads of some interest:

New Cancer Technology: Photodynamic Cancer Therapy

Biophotonics Link To New Biophysics Approach to Early Cancer Detection & Treatment Techniques...?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

thanks, I think those folks take it to the next level.
I am a new learner when it comes to light therapy (I made my own dichroic lights). In combination with aromatherapy, it helped me to decrease my depression. I would love to hear more from other users about their experiences.

As for the cancer cure, look up about the benefits of HEMP OIL and particularly about its sister plant- marijuana. I am regularly taking hemp oil after I found out how wonderful it is for our health. I also did a research on marijuana treatments- it appears that it could be effective against many diseases including cancer, if taken appropriately.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Claiming that shining different colors of light on someone can treat their diabetes is dangerous and irresponsible. No amount of colored light will alter the patient's ability to produce insulin, nor will it alter their blood sugar profile. If you have a patient abandon conventional treatment for diabetes in order to use your therapy, you are going to cause that patient a great deal of permanent harm in the form of microvascular disease.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
placebo effect probably

but it works if you believe it

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

it is NOT just colored light bulb! Special light bulbs are used- please read about it on google just so that you can understand what it is and hopefully will derive benefits for yourself.

check out about infrared lights, led/dichroic light therapy. many people are simply unaware of the benefits, but it's never too late to learn.

Edgar Cayce also spoke about light healing in his readings.

www.nasa.gov...
techtran.msfc.nasa.gov...

www.naturalnews.com...
www.hymbas.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Oh, I'm sorry. Let me rephrase my previous post, then.

Claiming that shining different colors of light from "special light bulbs" on someone can treat their diabetes is dangerous and irresponsible. No amount of "special" colored light will alter the patient's ability to produce insulin, nor will it alter their blood sugar profile. If you have a patient abandon conventional treatment for diabetes in order to use your therapy, you are going to cause that patient a great deal of permanent harm in the form of microvascular disease.

It's also worth noting that all light of a given color is the same. Green light is the same regardless of the source, as the color is produced by a specific wavelength. It doesn't matter what bulb you are using, they all produce the same nm wavelength to produce green, red, orange, etc.

[edit on 8/13/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

VneZonyDostupa my very clever friend!

It's always a great pleasure to see you in the threads!

You know.....

I must agree.....there really is some appalling advice given about these medical issues.

Amongst other things.....

I feel compelled to amplify your point.....spurning proper treatment could have catastrophic outcomes for a diabetic.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

Oh, I'm sorry. Let me rephrase my previous post, then.

Claiming that shining different colors of light from "special light bulbs" on someone can treat their diabetes is dangerous and irresponsible. No amount of "special" colored light will alter the patient's ability to produce insulin, nor will it alter their blood sugar profile. If you have a patient abandon conventional treatment for diabetes in order to use your therapy, you are going to cause that patient a great deal of permanent harm in the form of microvascular disease.

It's also worth noting that all light of a given color is the same. Green light is the same regardless of the source, as the color is produced by a specific wavelength. It doesn't matter what bulb you are using, they all produce the same nm wavelength to produce green, red, orange, etc.

[edit on 8/13/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

lol I can understand why you think the way you do. I used to think the same way. Many don't realize the benefits of alternative medicine practices and swear by western medicine. I believe that in time, you too will change your opinion on light therapy.

Everything in the Universe is just a vibration. Light is energy. Everything is made of energy and everything vibrates.

It appears to me that you're just a skeptic and have not used it yourself.
Perhaps we should hear out from those who have used light therapy and hear their stories?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

"Stories" are worth nothing. I want research. I want reproducible results in a controlled, double-blind study (I'll even settle for single-blind, if you're in a pinch). To date, there have been no studies that showed such a therapy is remotely effective. Don't you think pharmaceutical companies would jump on this and sell expensive, patented "truly effective" lights? They could come up with all sorts of jargon to get people to buy their version, just like people still buy brand name Aspirin for 400% mark-up.

The simple answer is, the therapy has not been shown to be effective. Period.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Have you clicked the NASA links the OP provided?

You are so insistent in some posts that members actually click links you provide, but yet in this case.....

NASA Space Technology Shines New Light On Healing

Doctors at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee have discovered the healing power of light with the help of technology developed for NASA's Space Shuttle. Using powerful light-emitting diodes, or LEDs, originally designed for commercial plant growth research in space, scientists have found a way to help patients here on Earth.

Doctors are examining how this special lighting technology helps hard-to-heal wounds, such as diabetic skin ulcers, serious burns and severe oral sores caused by chemotherapy and radiation. The project, approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and funded by NASA Small Business Innovation Research contract through the Technology Transfer Department at Marshall, includes laboratory and human trials.

The associated PubMed study referred to by the NASA news announcement.

Effect of NASA light-emitting diode irradiation on molecular changes for wound healing in diabetic mice.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Please read that link in it's entirety. The LED was emitting "near-infrared light", meaning non-visible. Not green light, not yellow light, nor red light...infrared. It also had to be implanted in deep tissue. It's well-known that certain levels of infrared light affect gene expression.

This is not chromatherapy, as claimed by the OP;

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged

I saw this thread a couple of nights ago while browsing but not logged-in and mentally earmarked it

Was distracted by another topic

Returned last night and began searching for it in order to S & F and take to the top again, because it's a wonderfully interesting topic in itself and I didn't want to see it sink from sight

Was distracted by yet another topic

Just now, saw it again and now I've saved it to Favourites ! Finally !

Thank you, OP, for bringing all this to people's attention. Very generous of you

and extremely well presented and explained

Top marks

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
There are devices that have a combination of infrared and led lights. However, infrared are not necessary as you can enjoy the benefits of led/ dichroic lights that I mentioned above.

I personally started using blue, red and yellow (amber). Based on my research, I do not feel the need for infrared lights at this time. Although I have started it fairly recently, I think my skin has improved, I see less acne on my back and face, and most importantly, it helps with my depression. I am not taking any medications.

On amazon there are many light therapy devices sold and you can read users' feedback on any of these here: -the link does not work for some reason. just enter LIGHT THERAPY ON AMAZON.COM

Some of the improvements listed were on mood, wrinkle reduction, acne elimination to name a few.

I hope that some people will try it and I do believe that it can help them.
My goal with this posting was to bring awareness to others and to recommend the least expensive way to obtain the benefits of light therapy.
You can get one very inexpensively (GE dichro color light bulbs can be found on ebay for as low as $25 each). it covers a larger area than some of the devices on the market.

Light therapy is an amazing subject. I believe that it's a field that will grow more popular in the future. Please read about it and decide for yourself.

Besides light therapy, I recommend people to explore herbal therapy (teas and herbal supplements), check out about the benefits of hemp oil and lookup aromatherapy.

SEE PAGE 2 FOR MORE INFO ON LIGHT THERAPY

[edit on 14-8-2010 by betweentheworlds]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
More information for those interested in light therapy-

Light is energy that moves in a wave pattern. Light is also characterized by its wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum. There are components in the tissue and blood that absorb wavelengths and activate normal cell activity. The reason for this increased cell activity is the photon. The photon is the energy portion of the light wave.

The Incas and The Mayans Used Light Therapy
The benefits of light therapy were recognized several thousand years ago. Along with color and crystals, light and sun energy was used in almost every major culture throughout the world. Healers in Egypt, Greece, China, India and Persia used them as did the Mayans, Incas, Tibetans, Dowest Chinese, East Indian Ayurvedics and North American Indians. The practice of light therapy dates back to the Greeks when it was known exposure to light, heliotherapy, was beneficial to health. Today it’s been proven light is beneficial in the production of Vitamin D.
In the 19th century doctors began to explore the therapeutic benefits of previously unknown rays of light and color, such as ultraviolet, to heal diseases. All forms of light therapy in use today began during the 20th century. The first reports of ultraviolet blood irradiation date back to the 1930s and in the early nineteen hundreds, Edgar Cayce gave several readings advocating the use of the Violet Ray machine invented by Nicola Tesla for a heating effect in the body called diathermy. In Europe during the 60s it was noted that certain wavelengths had therapeutic effects on tissues through a process known as photo-stimulation, a common technique used today to treat jaundice in newborns. More recently cancer researchers noted that a single red frequency combined with a topical cream kills certain cancer cells.
There are various forms of light therapy promoted today for alternative healing including light boxes, UV therapy, chromatotherapy , UV blood irradiation and LED therapy. Red and near infrared light wavelengths are able to pass through tissue up to one inch deep and have beneficial effects on the cells. LED light arrays are a means to provide these wavelengths. Conditions known to be helped by LED light therapy include osteoarthritis, burns, fibromyalgia pains, diabetic neuropathy and wound healing to name a few. Today, LED light therapy is an FDA approved cosmetic procedure that is gentle, painless, safe and effective.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join