It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas for the 2010 Hallowe'en Writing Contest [Starting Sept. 1]

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tarrok
I was wondering how graphic we can make our stories? This is particularly interesting to know for the halloween competition.

Only the Terms and Conditions apply. In other words, you can get as graphic as a Rob Zombie move script without the swearing or inclusion of gory images.

Fair enough?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

We should have at least a 750 word minimum. 500 seems too low and 1000 seems too high. Just my .02 cents.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I love the halloween story writing contest it's been my favorite!!!! YAY!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!! Awesome! Now to get down to business!!! Woohoo!!! I just couldn't bring myself to write for the oil spill, too close to home for me so, I just didn't wanna go there, lol!

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by Tarrok
I was wondering how graphic we can make our stories? This is particularly interesting to know for the halloween competition.

Only the Terms and Conditions apply. In other words, you can get as graphic as a Rob Zombie move script without the swearing or inclusion of gory images.

Fair enough?

Yes, that's what I was wondering. Thank you Masqua.

I'll see if I can read some examples to jump start my dusty creative part. Hopefully I wont be totally bad.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
So the rock band theme is set? Yes or no?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Apparently so. I'm thinking of a Vampyre band ala Lestat and a number of fellow vamps who turn on the crowd during the crescendo of the concert.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Tarrok

The last contest was The Crypt Critters (search under [CCHWC]).

That should give you some ideas.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

reply to post by ldyserenity

Apparently so. I'm thinking of a Vampyre band ala Lestat and a number of fellow vamps who turn on the crowd during the crescendo of the concert.

I have my idea already. BWAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAA!!!! Be prepared to pee your pants!!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I'm in.
Just set the parameters.
I love this kind of stuff

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Rock concert theme? I had one prepared and there are no guitars involved ;(

Do the stories get posted on this thread or is there a special one dedicated to them?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

The usual method is to wait until the contest announcement thread comes out and in the OP will be the rules. This was only a thread dedicated to ideas.

Normally, you post your submissions to the Short Stories forum as a seperate thread and the title should reflect that it IS a submission by including a designation like (BlaBla) or something.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

1) Should there be a particular theme or will we go just 'generally scary'?

2) What should the minimum word count be? The last contest was 500 words and we had a brilliant group of submissions.

3) Should there be a maximum word count? This is mainly for being kind to the judges.

Speaking for myself...

Anything between horror and sci-fi would seem fitting so long as it was rampaging and scary.

Minimum 500 seems appropriate. Anything less and you really don't have much of a story.

Top end? 10-to-20 K?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Also... and I am not sure if this has been approached elsewhere... what about the use of illustrations within the story text?

An example would be a descriptive of the layout of a large estate. The illustration would detail the same like a simple map so the reader can coordinate and understand exactly where certain scenes take place.

Just an idea...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Nothing wrong with including images as long as the T&C's are followed.

In the case of gore, it should be obviously Hollywood schtick and not obviously real (if you get my drift.

No 'top end' for story length. Write a book, but be ready for a long wait because the judges could get snarky.

[edit on 30/8/10 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
So where do we submit our entries once they are completed?

I've got a doozy in the works that is giving me goosebumps just writing it!

Edit: Oh wait, it's a rock band theme? That makes it kind of hard to establish spooky setting...

[edit on 30-8-2010 by The Cusp]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

I guess you've never watched Queen of the Damned or gone to a GWAR concert.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
OK... here's the deal:

Since there have been a few who have expressed disappointment on a specific theme, I'm going to leave this contest open to all things horrible. If you've already begun writing on the Rock Concert from HELL, that's OK, because it would be a part of all things horrible, wouldn't it?

Watch for the contest tomorrow sometime and the rules will be included in the OP of that thread..

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Thread locked as contest about to begin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join