It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas for the 2010 Hallowe'en Writing Contest [Starting Sept. 1]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I will be starting the next writing contest ~2 weeks from today. Of course it's going to concern general horror and mayhem ala the usual vampyres, witches, Freddie Krugers et al, but what I'm asking of the membership are the following:

1) Should there be a particular theme or will we go just 'generally scary'?

2) What should the minimum word count be? The last contest was 500 words and we had a brilliant group of submissions.

3) Should there be a maximum word count? This is mainly for being kind to the judges.

(note: there is a handy word count program available for self-checking)

For myself (to throw in my $0.02), I'd prefer a higher word count for a contest running 2 full months... say, 1000 words. I'd also not worry about a maximum word count because sometimes I never want a good thriller to end, but tjhat's just me.

Also, I'm happy to report that a dedicated group of judges has been established for all future contests. No more worries in that regard.

Anyways, let me know what you think. The idea for a particular theme that is most acceptable via the responses in this exploratory thread will be what I run with when the contest starts September 1.

It will end on midnight of October 31.

(note: this post contains 225 words)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Good to hear it's on the way and kudos to the judges for giving their time. To answer your questions:

1) A general Hallowe'en theme seems ok with me, gives more scope for ideas.

2) and 3) The entries I read for the previous contests were over the minimum limit so I don't think this matters too much. Having a maximum count should be left to the judges, seeing as they're the ones who have to read all the entries. I'd have a minimum of 1000, if we have to have a minimum, and no limit to the maximum.

Looking forward to reading your stories ATSers, always a pleasure, the Short Stories forum is a little gem on the web.

Sendran.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I would love to take part in this as I love to write.

500 words seems very short to me, but if it's only a minimum guide then I guess it's OK, the last magazine article I wrote was 3000 words and that took about a day, although I was feeling particularly creative that time.

Can anyone enter?

[edit on 11-8-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Can anyone enter?

Any member who has 20 posts can enter the contests.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
YAY!!!!
I wait all year for this contest!
Min word count..500 words yes.
Max word count..well..not sure.
I'll go for just generally HORRIFYING!!!!
I have read some longer submissions that were top notch and to edit them down would have ruined the story.
With two full months I'm sure a few longer submissions can be handled by the judges, considering not everyone writes a long story.
* sharpens pencil....
I need to up my game this time around.
Thanks Masqua.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by AccessDenied]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
When's the next poetry contest? Haven't seen one of them for ages. Can this be poems too?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
When's the next poetry contest? Haven't seen one of them for ages.

You're right... it's been ~5 months.

No reason we can't have another one at any time, especially if it's judged by starring like the last one was.

Can this be poems too?

Of course it can... but the poem would have to comply with the word count minimum, which is what we're trying to figure out in this thread. What do you think it should be?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
1) Generally scary or unexplainable sounds good.

2) A range of 500-1000 words might work.

3) See number 2.

This should be a good one...can't wait!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Ill have another bash at this comp too!

Halloween...
Should be fun... Better sharpen the chainsaw and find my mask... Ha ha!!

Dont mind the word count, but as said above, maybe if somebody does a poem it should be a minimum of say... 100 words, whilst a story could have a minimum of 500..?
Just a thought.

eee.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Doh... Edit for double post.

[edit on 12/8/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Dang, there goes my chance for a spine-tingling limerick.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
*shameless bump.
Need more input here please.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I believe it should be generalized, that way you don't limit the writer and hinder their intuition and creativity.

It can be scary, mysterious, daunting, fun, or just crazy.

I know how I will write mine if it is generalized
life experience will play a role.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Just out of curiousity, what is the prize?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by packinupngoin

All contestants will get writer's status and probably some points.

But who cares what the prize is? It's all about the writing

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I agree five hundred word minimum, and no upper limits. Also, I like themed writing, and find a general Halloween theme with some components of what is generally accepted as Halloween themed things should be required.(examples include but not limited to monsters, ghosts, witches, trick or treating, grave yards, skeletons, etc etc) Other than that, I cannot wait to write up a nice scary one for this contest!!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bushido Kanji
All contestants will get writer's status and probably some points.

For sure some points.

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
find a general Halloween theme

How about a rock concert theme? There could be a band led by a vampire (ala LeStat) or an audience made up entirely of the jiggly undead. Or a band that hits a series of notes that drives the crowd to cannibalism.

Or it could be a Justin Bieber concert where ... time slows down 800%

[edit on 19/8/10 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
A rock concert on Halloween is a great topic/theme!! I could probably write ten different stories around that theme alone! This is exciting!

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Well... looks to me like that's going to be the theme. Look for the contest to appear on Wednesday, September 1.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I've been meaning to get back into writing. I've not written anything creative in about 5 years now. I had a pretty horrible story in mind for this event but will have to think of something else for this particular theme.

I was wondering how graphic we can make our stories? This is particularly interesting to know for the halloween competition.

Looking forward to getting my pen out of storage!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join