It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

too much knowledge a bad thing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I've noticed that the threads that are 5 pages long supplied with numerous links, charts, images, quotes, and take forever to read are in fact the threads that are receiving the most stars and flags on ATS as of recent. What the hell happened to us? Are we that hungry for knowledge?

A wise man once told me "everything in moderation".... that should include your quest to deny ignorance.

I look around ATS... and what do I see?

I see people seeking for the truth... Suddenly it dawned on me that the "Truth lies within you"

WOW... hit me like a ton of bricks just now.

Suddenly I feel free because I realize that the only truth I'll ever need was inside of me this whole time.

All I'm saying is that... your mind is probably polluted right now. You've set out on a quest to find the truth outside of yourself and you've probably already formulated an opinion on what that truth is.

Have fun denying ignorance... because the real ignorance is the fact that you are reading this. Stop staring at this computer screen for a few days/ weeks / months and go rediscover yourself.

Sometimes I feel like my APPLE computer is the forbidden knowledge I should of never bit into.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
to me, most knowledge is meaningless anyway. it wont effect my daily living. most knowledge is the accumulation of things that happened before me. we should forgive and forget, and move on using only useful knowledge.

we focus our attention sometimes on unimportant information.

enjoy

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029

I've noticed that the threads that are 5 pages long supplied with numerous links, charts, images, quotes, and take forever to read are in fact the threads that are receiving the most stars and flags on ATS as of recent. What the hell happened to us? Are we that hungry for knowledge?

To be honest I am lazy in this regard and prefer to read clear and concise threads where the demand to read and analyse charts is kept to a minimum. However, I do admire when people take the time to compile threads that are loaded with useful information - even when they are excessive. I have given quite a few S&F to people who have made elaborate opening posts because while I may not agree with their point of view on the issue, I respect the time and effort they have placed into creating the thread.

A wise man once told me "everything in moderation".... that should include your quest to deny ignorance.

Wise indeed. But, can "taking everything in moderation" be taken in moderation too? Have a think about that one...

I look around ATS... and what do I see?

I see people seeking for the truth... Suddenly it dawned on me that the "Truth lies within you"

Not sure about that yet. If it is within us then why do we seek acknowledgement and the company of other people? Why is it that some people can bring out the best in us while others can bring out the worst? If you yourself gained the above knowledge from ATS (and I assume you probably did) then why did you need to become a member before arriving at this knowledge?

[...]

All I'm saying is that... your mind is probably polluted right now. You've set out on a quest to find the truth outside of yourself and you've probably already formulated an opinion on what that truth is.

It is literally impossible to find somebody whose mind is not "corrupted" to a certain degree. Every single person on earth is subject to some form of programming from a young age and it is extremely difficult to succumb many of these things we have been conditioned with.

[...]

Sometimes I feel like my APPLE computer is the forbidden knowledge I should of never bit into.

Nice metaphor disguised as a pun
(I think)

[edit on 10/8/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

From where I'm sitting, that esoteric BS wouldn't have built the house I'm sitting in or this old PC I'm typing on.

Too much esoteric knowledge can be a bad thing.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

'Nuff said.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
there is no truth, just perspectives

too much data is bad

thats why data doesnt equal information

data needs to be processed, and graphs need to be analyzed so you can extract information

[edit on 10/8/10 by Faiol]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029

WOW... hit me like a ton of bricks just now.

Suddenly I feel free because I realize that the only truth I'll ever need was inside of me this whole time.

I can point you to a few threads that are over 200 pages long. I have been meaning to read them but I have to schedule a week to do so. 5 page threads even with charts are no big deal.

Of course you can live your life without ever knowing the truth behind some juicy conspiracies and go out and rediscover yourself but that's kinda selfish.

If you want to help others who are hurt by these conspiracies discovering the truth and spreading it will enhance your core being. Make you a better person, give you a since of accomplishment.

There are so many new conspiracies I don't think most people have preconceived notions about them. Studying conspiracies is very healthy IMO and helps to understand the broader world we live in. People who do not do this can be led to the slaughter like sheep.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Methinks knowledge is both good and bad, it is what we do with that knowledge that determines a PART of who and what we are, can be and will become.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
To much knowledge could be bad !?

You've got to be freaking kidding me !

Knowledge is neutral, the way it is used... that could be seen as bad. Knowledge is one thing you can never have to much of. When you miss out a piece of the story, the answer will always be wrong. Well... even with all perspectives at hand, one can still make bad decisions so....

Besides, what is bad for one could be great for another.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Ever overheard your parents talk about stuff you'd prefer not to hear? How about when Old Man Marley that takes you up on your "offer" to hear about how things used to work before the Internet existed? How about offering to "listen" to your friend's Break Up Story and hearing things like they watched Star Wars 300 times together, or how their parents will probably delete them off Facebook because of they are no longer dating?

Some knowledge is best left undiscovered!

[edit on 11/8/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
There are those posts which follow what I call the information blitz format. A line or two, then four or five external quotes. A line or two, then several images. A line or two, then a youtube video. A line or two then a couple of charts and graphs.

It's the confuse 'em with facts technique. It also makes it pretty much impossible to compose a cogent response. I prefer a post with one or two points with some back up. Otherwise instead of a discussion, all you have is a monologue.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
To much knowledge can be a bad thing... to little knowledge is definitely not a good thing. Some things if known can help you in life, and some things are just a drag on your mind and drag you down. But any knowledge that will make you crazy will have to be experienced. Knowledge has meaning, but has little meaning before experience. We live, we die, we move on, and yesterday according to some site, "275 million stars die per day, in the whole observable Universe." What does that knowledge tell you.

new topics

top topics

join