It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A conspiracy against the deaf.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
One of the great things about the early years of the internet was the ease at which people could get information to others. This was a great boon to us that are deaf or hearing impaired. No longer were we forced to rely on newspapers for our main source of news, as now we could browse the web at leisure, and spend time digesting what was out there. Videos on the web were few and far between, with most websites being text and image based. This worked well for all but the blind.

With the advent of youtube, and the spread of high speed internet across the world, it is becoming more apparent that those of us who are deaf or hard of hearing are being shoved out of what was once an ideal world. On news websites, the trend is for news stories to contain a video link, with nothing but an extended blurb beneath it, where as just a couple of years ago there would have been a great deal of text, most times with still images.

This isn't just localized to news websites either. Blogs, websites that focus on one subject, even ATS has started to do this more often. Here recently, I can open a thread, only to find video after video after video concerning what may or may not be an important subject, often with little or no text to explain what it is I am seeing.

This is a shame, for while I am a skeptic, I find conspiracy theories, whether they be as far fetched as the earth being surrounded by glass, or as plausible as Roosevelt knowing about Pearl Harbor before it happened. I feel the best way to find the truth is to gather news from as many sources as you can, compare what each source is providing, filter out the drek, and move on from there. This is becoming harder to do as more and more people rely exclusively on video to make their point.

So I request of you, when you post a video, at the least post a few sentences in summery about what the video is about, or a link to a transcript, or something. Give those of us that are deaf a chance to participate too.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Youtube actually has automatic subtitles for new videos. Im still amazed it works so well.

More info here: Techcrunch

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Thank you, I didn't know that.

I had searched for a way to get captions on youtube back when I first lost hearing, but all I could find were explanations on how to add them to videos I made myself.

Now if only other sites were to implement something like that, I'd be happier.

*edit*

After turning captions on in youtube, which is relatively new option, it isn't complete. Out of the 20 videos I skimmed through, only 5 had the captions. While it is a step in the right direction, it's still a long way to go.

[edit on 8/9/2010 by tebyen]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I am sorry to read that you have lost your hearing. All will be better.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tebyen
So I request of you, when you post a video, at the least post a few sentences in summery about what the video is about, or a link to a transcript, or something. Give those of us that are deaf a chance to participate too.

You bring up a great point, and it's a good opportunity to post a little reminder directly from the Terms and Conditions-

1k.) Video links/embeds: You will not embed or post a link to a video without a reasonable description of its content and why it interests you, is germane to the topics discussed on ATS or the topic of an existing thread should you post it in a reply to an existing thread.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Except that they DON'T work so well. It's like trying to read pig latin.

I have to agree. ATS and other conspiracy sites should be more considerate of the deaf and hearing impaired. I can't tell you of how many times I've seen an interesting thread title only to find that it has a video with no subtitles within.

There should be technology out there already that can automatically display subtitles. I don't think Youtube has nailed it down just yet.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
One of my grandsons is 18 and lost his hearing at a few months old. I know what you are saying and agree with you.

Many school systems are not geared to teach the deaf or hearing impaired.
Most churches and other public meeting have no interpreter for the deaf.
It is shameful.

My grandson is very intelligent and his school grades are excellent as we have a very good program for the deaf and blind in our system. He will graduate high school this school year and will go on to college.

He had his first martial arts class last night and excelled and will do well I am sure.

There are many of us with disabilities. This world is not easy to maneuver when you are disabled.

My condolences to you concerning your hearing loss.
You will overcome and assimilate into our world in time.

Best wishes to you.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Thank all of you for your well wishes. Fortunately for me, there's a 50/50 chance of regaining my hearing back in a few months as the damage to my ears heal. (I was to close to a propane tank explosion.)

It wasn't until this accident that I realized how difficult losing your hearing could be. I'm picking up on sign language, and I've taken to lip reading like a duck to water, but neither is a replacement for actual hearing.

I just hope my message can reach people, that it makes them stop and think about those with a disadvantage, whatever it may be, and lend a helping hand. Whether that be by giving a summery of a youtube video, or holding the door for someone in a wheel chair, or helping out a family that's down on its luck, or even just smiling at someone who might be having a bad day.

top topics

join