It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mystery of the missing Wikipedia page

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

Looks like the front lines of an information war if I ever saw one.

My favorite is the statement:

"that is worth noting why?"

Well, Mr. Wikipedia Editor, perhaps it is not important to you because you don't care. But that is not your job. Your job is to make a wikipedia page about a topic for people that DO care.

---

At least it is still up, I'd say an overall success so far.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Interesting. Our friendly editor has taken the liberty of expanding the criticism from the SciAm article, and edited it with this comment:

17:21, 9 August 2010 AlistairMcMillan (talk | contribs) (6,447 bytes) (→In the news: Expanding on SciAm cite. Have to wonder why would someone pro-ATS, would want to include the SciAm link in the article.) (undo)

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Hate to tell you guys, but it looks like the wikipedia page has already been attacked, probably by someone reading this thread. Some examples (obvious edits in bold):

"Though members contribute a lot of original content, ATS and the New World Order relies heavily on external content..."

"Receiving a boom of masonic members following the attacks on September 11th, 2001..."

"ATS has grown to accommodate a larger range of new propaganda."

"DJ Dave "Rabbit" currently hosts a weekly podcast radio-show featuring articles from TPTB."

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by blehrgh

It will get worse before it ends, IMO

That is why I said enjoy the show several pages back in this thread.

The very fact that ATS is attacked in that venue and even here on ATS in the new conspiracy thread tends to show that ATS is seen as a threat to outside agenda driven sources who will stop at nothing to discredit ATS.

I say let ATS and it's user contributed content stand alone without a Wikipedia page.

It isn't necessary. People who need to will find ATS the way most of us have and either decide to lurk here, or join and get involved.

There will always be forces seeking to trash ATS, and IF or when they go silent, it will be because ATS is either gone for good, or completely under their control!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blehrgh

Done by some random IP user. Probably just a foe of the site from one of the anti-ats websites that actually cannot be named on this site.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Some people are being ridiculous - Wikipedia is run by a bunch of volunteers who get to do as they see fit. The paid people look over all of it but 1 page or another is not worth too much time.

The most likely thing is that whatever existed before was met with editor criticism and now the ats pages are put under scrutiny as they do keep a a list of old pages for moderation purposes.

I have seen alot of things that aren't fair per say that's not a conspiracy by "they" but some mods interpretation of the TOS, that's all.

You have to admit alot of crazy stuff is post here "dragonfly's are not real" comes up pretty high on google vids listing for instance.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by circuitsports

Just going to say. John Lear's page met requirements. It was actually put together rather nicely. It was still removed.

I'm not saying the government is censoring Wiki. I will suggest that, while volunteers, the Wiki editors have grown into a click of faux-intellectuals with a drive to decide what is "truth" and what isn't. They seem to want to control based on standards of only what they agree with, which seems to go wildly against what the site was originally about.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

where are the comments by alistair located?
got a link? it aggravates me that a person as well known in certain circles, as john lear, could just be erased from internet history by a bunch of volunteer editors.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by undo]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by circuitsports

well what's the mission of wikipedia? what was its original purpose?
has that purpose changed?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Look, you cant blame wikipedia for removing the page. Its all of those idiots out there who think theyre funny doing stupid stuff.

On my high school wiki page, every once in a while somebody will remove and replace a block of text to put something stupid and racist, or offending.

Contact wikipedia and tell them what's going on. they will take care of it.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

it's possible their TOS has been worded in a way that they can exercise certain portions of it to prejudice the entries they don't want, such as entries to certain ufo sites or other controversial material. or it could be that they've overticked the plumbing with so many standards and rules regarding content, that were the whole site to be done all over again from scratch, most of the entries would be deleted for non-notability, copyright infringement or lack of substantiation.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
There is a page for ATS on wiki at the moment, it took about 30seconds to find under ATS,
Apologies if it has already been posted. The page has been there for a while.

en.wikipedia.org... if this page is deleted now, it means someone on ATS is the culprit.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

When you say awhile... do you mean a day? Or two. We just made one to see how long before it will be taken down.

I know it's hard to read five pages, but at least do the topic the courtesy of reading the first post.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
reply to post by smurfy

When you say awhile... do you mean a day? Or two. We just made one to see how long before it will be taken down.

I know it's hard to read five pages, but at least do the topic the courtesy of reading the first post.

I did read the first post, and did what you ask, a search, and I found a page. I usually do read all posts, but I was mystified when I found a page. I looked at the reference section and one link which has yesterdays date. In fact, the numbers of references surprised me too, as it is their "policy" to limit the number of "external" references to but a very few. So, I was actually trying to help as I have had some experience with Wiki, sorry if you somehow found offence.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
oh this blurb on the alexa link is interesting!
there are alot of black and semitic people on ATS. there are many well educated scientists and college students. also many females and parents. it bugs me that everything popular is presented as male caucasian population, are they trying to make it appear as if only uneducated white males believe in conspiracy theory?

There are 3,562 sites with a better three-month global Alexa traffic rank than Abovetopsecret.com. It has been online for more than thirteen years, and while the site is ranked #1,421 in the US, where we estimate that 50% of its visitors are located, it is also popular in Sweden, where it is ranked #929. Relative to the overall population of internet users, this site appeals more to Caucasians; its audience also tends to consist of childless men browsing from home who are not college graduates and have incomes under $100,000. About 38% of visits to Abovetopsecret.com are bounces (one pageview only).

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

At the top of every Wikipedia page there is a tab that says "History".

If you click that tab you can see the history of all edits made to a page, with a comment from the person who made the edit. You can also compare old versions of the page with each other and with the current page to see how it was changed.

Originally posted by smurfy
In fact, the numbers of references surprised me too, as it is their "policy" to limit the number of "external" references to but a very few.

At some point yesterday the page was tagged with boxes questioning its notability and saying it needed additional citations to prove relevance.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

correcting my post

oops. wrong video. it was the CNN video he was commenting.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This is a link to the editing box and editors,

www.wikirage.com...

BTW, That Alexa quote is plain weird.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
i can't find a link to the CNN video that was listed to contain ATS, on the wiki entry alistair was complaining about. was it originally linked in the entry? cause i can't find what he claims is missing. the cnn link he references just goes to wiki's cnn page not the video itself

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

Originally posted by undo

Originally posted by smurfy
In fact, the numbers of references surprised me too, as it is their "policy" to limit the number of "external" references to but a very few.

At some point yesterday the page was tagged with boxes questioning its notability and saying it needed additional citations to prove relevance.

My point was about the external reference section, (links) they will cut those references to the bone....where it suits.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join