It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lost library of alexandria or human amnesia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I thought for a moment and it seemed it would be a fun discussion .

i was thinking of all the events discoverys and countless amazing advances in the human condition and technological advances made since modern A.D. time.....

then a real brain teaser set in the library of alexandria was filled with two thousand or more years of prior human advancement and spiritual knowledge gone lost forgotten perhaps even the reason for the feeling we all share of lost periods and knowledge in history and our origins our shared human amnesia...

where would we be now if the library was never lost what would we know how much different would our existence be?

Be Well

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I have a sum of money in a sealed envelope. If I gave it to you, how rich would you be?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
very rich my freind

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I remember reading an anecdote that if science and research had maintained along the same path when the antikera device ( the first analog computer) existed, we would be exploring the stars outside our solar system.

The library of Alexandria was also the patent office, holding inventions and their blueprints, teachings, and held special lectures by leading scientists of the day.

tragic loss

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Indigenous equity]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

I have to admit, I have mused over this for quite a number of years myself. The knowledge base was supposedly profound. As a practicing Chinese Herbalist and Brewer the plant knowledge alone makes me shudder with the possibilities of unknown applications of plants, combinations of plants etc..all to illicit effects we have possibly never dreamed of.

I have often thought, perhaps fantasized that many of the more prized works made it out before the end calamity that claimed the library. However even in that fantasy any thing of real repute surely would of been, or would be Vaticanized (so to speak) in order to keep us all sheep.

Can you imagine the answers that the Library had too so many of our questions of the past? Astronomy, engineering, mysticism...my God if I could read and write ancient languages of the region, I would be utterly happy to go back in time and spend a couple few years pouring over the scrolls, tomes,tablets and shards that must of littered that place.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I find it hard to believe that none of these ancient libraries survived the passages of time. I'm sure there's a lot of very valuable information that's being kept and has been kept for thousands of years.

There are too many gaps in history. That in itself is suspicious, to me anyway.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

yeah only place that could hide a resource like that is the vatican.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Never mind the science, think all of the literature we could have had.
All those lost classic plays...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

leads me to the next sigh .....

think of all the great people that were never known or were forgotten for all time the einsteins and shakespeares that died on the vine a waste of priceless minds

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
There is a nostalgic sense of optimism within all people when we wonder what was in that library - the answer cannot be... "all that we donnot know about all things"
There has been much knowledge passed down the ages that we still cannot decipher. Many success stories about the miracles of knowledge found, but as humans we want to know what is NOT there in front of us. We do at present dismiss often obvious knowledge or we say "bah! its old wives tales" (in relation to medicines/herbs) and we also sometimes 'stumble-upon' inventions.

My friends, we are the vessels of knowledge and awareness of the world around and the knowledge only exists as we do. True, there is much lost but I think of it as yet undiscovered relevant observations in our time,...or something like that.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I believe that the greatest loss was the history, literature and philosophy of the ancients. Science, not so much, for the simple reason that practical science wouldn't exist solely in a book in a singular place -- it would either be put into use, or otherwise dispersed to other scientists. Real scientific progress not only requires building on previous discoveries, but it relies on a class that sees long term profits from progress and allows for the support of potentially non-productive research. At the time of the Alexandrian Library, I don't think that such a class had been around long enough (and was extensive enough) to account for a science that was significantly more advanced than what history indicates.

Tragic loss, though, regardless.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I find it hard to believe that none of these ancient libraries survived the passages of time.

Excellent use of your grey matter wigit.

A great many ancient libraries survived into the modern era, some containing much more than the (relative) newcomer in Alexandria.

I very much doubt that anything of any technological value was lost at Alexandria.

But we can mourn for the poetry.

Harte

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

it sucks we simple just dont know could be amazing could be nothing seem more likely a wealth of knowledge rather the mundain research.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
not a flag insight lol

thought this was a new venue of discussion that could be updated i was tragically wrong

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by triplescorpio

As long as currency is where faith is placed, knowledge is worthless.

As long as barbarism is allowed to continue, knowledge is not applied.

As long as people refuse to see another person, knowledge is rebuked.

As long as the spirit is denied, knowledge is incomprehensible.

Connect to your higher self. Let your light shine to end darkness and illuminate another. From there we will reclaim the wisdom that degrade to the knowledge that was list in Alexandria.

We are born with everything we need to push creation forward. We allow others to take it from us generation after generation.

There is no King, made of flesh, for me to bow before on this planet. I don’t acknowledge any person’s rule over me and my God given rights.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
You are reading the lost library of alexandria right now..

As Edgar Cayce said it would be found at the foot of the sphinx, which just before the internet was made available to the public, the pyramids at Giza brought the idea to the fore that the status quo regarding publicly available information was ummm.... questionable.

This lead to an explosion of knowledge becomeing avaliable to the average man in a way that has never happened before in the history of the planet

Enjoy

You want to know how to turn lead into gold?
I know how thats done too...
I'll post a thread on it some day.

PS I'll flag and star ya
I wish people would get the drift ya know?

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have a feeling that to the victor goes the spoils...

I think that the knowledge that was contained in the Library of Alexandria was carted away...

or sealed somewhere safe by the Egyptian...

These Roman Conquerers were no fools... they were masterminds like the 7 Elite and Puppet Bilderburg Group. I think they understood that knowledge was Advantage, Power and Control.

It seems like the most logical thing to do was take it back to Rome and and have it known among a few Elite to use if it was ever needed...

Just a Theory of course...

but then again... the late empererors were fearful of the masses.... so any city or establishment resembling free thought and knowledge was probly deemed dangerous to the Roman Empire... Guess a good scroll burning was in order.

Fox.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I have a hard time dwelling on this topic for two reasons:

1 - the "mystery box" is almost always more fascinating than what's inside.

2 - it's not as though ALL knowledge was lost at this time. The stewards of the library were not some secret cult, and so this knowledge was generally available to the educated. The more advanced the knowledge, the more likely it was not simply bound to the confines of the library. I'm not denying that some discoveries were lost, needing to be found again, but thinking that this set the world back centuries is probably an overstatement.

Also, they clearly had no practical wisdom about fire safety/prevention.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This would make a good conspiracy thread. What really happened to Hypatia anyways? Was she one of those high intellect types that went over the edge or was she dissappeared by the Illuminati?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
always wondered what man would do with such knowledge, how to build the pyramids, how to make light 101 using clay and iron, you too can make a sun blade, cut stone like a pro, pocket map of Atlantis with must see sites, your guide to the stars tell your days out come, hay what do you know that one survived. Where would we know if we had this knowledge? would we be better or would we be like them lost to the pages of time hearsay and myth? interesting thought could man know the history through, gen pool ancestry, would that explain translators? i wonder.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join