It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New threat: Hackers look to take over power plants

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
reply to post by ProjectedLogic

I won't dispute that it may be possible to affect the grid through the meters, but this is not what the OP is about which is the internet and the stations.

Tampering with smart meters may be more difficult and less effective then advertised, and one must ask the question:
Why advertise?

Again fear tactic.

I'm a network engineer. Hackers don't need the internet to infiltrate and take over a network. Also, I don't see anywhere in the article where the internet is explicitly referred to as the entry point into the network. Case and point is at the end of the article about an employee using a flash drive which is infected with malicious code. The vast majority of attacks originate from inside the network. The means that a network is penetrated could take minutes to years. It is simply a matter of when is it going to happen, and how bad will it be.

Without going into very boring and long winded explanations, there are many segments to any given network. Properly securing these segments and isolating them from critical parts is necessary, but at the same time impossible if you want a functioning network. Networks are designed, created and managed by humans. Human error is the #1 reason for security breaches.

Networks can also be breached by the software and hardware that the governments and private companies buy to use. They all must get their equipment from somewhere. Hard drives can be loaded with firmware from an employee at a factory that compromises security. Routers, switches and other equipment all have vulnerabilities which are sold in black markets to the highest bidder, such as wabisabilabi.

People need to forget the Hollywood portrayal of a "hacker." You can call these articles or reports fear mongering all you want. I see them as a wake up call to the engineers and other personnel in charge of these networks.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -Carl Sagan

[edit on 5-8-2010 by zarlaan]

[edit on 5-8-2010 by zarlaan]

<< 1   >>

join