It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New threat: Hackers look to take over power plants

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

New threat: Hackers look to take over power plants

www.guardian.co.uk

Computer hackers have begun targeting power plants and other critical operations around the world in bold new efforts to seize control of them, setting off a scramble to shore up aging, vulnerable systems.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The article goes on to note Homeland Security responses, etc.

This can be read two ways:

A) Taken at face value as a frightening possibility that exists for someone -- anyone -- to take down power infrastructure for any number of reasons in any number of places. Let's face it, humans want to hurt each other and we have spent all of our history as a species designing new and more unpleasant ways of doing so. This kind of attack could be used by anyone for any purpose.

B) Conversely, this could be read as a non-issue being trumped up by TPTB to give them more control over networks, information, infrastructure, etc.

The "knee jerk conspiracy respose" is to choose "door B". But in many ways, "door A" is more terrifying, and more simple. If you are a fan of Occam's razor, the "straight story" becomes all the more plausible and certainly no less horrific in its implications.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/5/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
If hackers do attempt to take over power plants make sure you call John McClane so he can kill their helicopter with a car..................and save the world.

King

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

Haha yeah I was just imagining Die Hard as well!

Suprised this is a new thing really

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
im sure that the workers in a power plant are aware of the functions and schedules so if there iis anything wrong they can just disconected from the grid.
nice die hard reference.
welcome to the party pal.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Risks to the utility grid really aren't new, go to goggle and look up "SCADA vulnerable" or any variant thereof and you will see plenty of articles saying that the systems which give us power, water etc. Even the well known computer scientist Bruce Schneier believes that risks to the SCADA networks is real, which is more than enough to make me wary of the whole situation.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Apparently while Power plants HAVE internet
they aren't ON the internet

This is a scare tactic to justify the big red lever in the presidential orfice.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
WHY would a hacker take down a power supply on the grid if the grid goes down no power, no power equals no net which means they immediately forfeit control

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This has been an issue for awhile now. In the past, hackers have been able to gain access and even cause generators to explode.

Staged Hack Causes Generator to Self-Destruct

I personally believe this to be, or will be a major issue if not handled correctly. Google "Take down the grid" and you will see what I am talking about.

How to take down the power grid

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

What about the smart meters? The new meters they want to put on each house that is able to directly "speak" to each other?
Smart Meter

Imagine what kind of damage could be caused if these things are not properly considered.
Smart Meter Flaw Gives Hackers Power
Four ways to hack the smart grid

[edit on 5-8-2010 by ProjectedLogic]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I got to come down on the "fear monger" side. Trying to control the sheepeople's mind, and direct their thoughts.

Power Plant's control systems are NOT connected to the inernet.

So a hacker, without sitting in the control room at the power plant has no ability to affect a power plant.

So the only reason to say that a hacker could effect a power plant is to put in the mind of a sheepeople FEAR.

Ruled by fear, the trade mark of TPTB.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectedLogic

they are software controlled and comunicate through waveforms in the grid which is entirely different from powerplants being ON the internet

note the word STAGED in the article above.

Safe, accurate, and reliable, these MET Labs-certified meters incorporate a full suite of operating features with an integrated, software-controlled disconnect switch, a comprehensive information display, and Echelon's robust, bidirectional power line signaling technology. Each meter, which is automatically managed by an NES Data Concentrator or an ANSI IP Meter, can also act as a repeater to reach other meters. This lets it create a power line-based meshed network of meters that exactly matches the real topology of a utility’s residential distribution secondary network.

www.echelon.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I dont buy this personally. I find this is more typical fear-mongering.
A friend of a friend works at a local nuclear power plant as security. The past few weeks or so they have been conducting very serious excercises that thier job security depends on, these are done every few years or so as routine training. These excercises simulate hostile attempts to take over the plant. From what I have heard about thier up to date training, no hacker would be able to pose any threat. If by chance a WORST CASE scenario unfolded at the plant and there was any security breach, the plant would just shut down until corrected - very quickly.

This is nuclear power were talking too, its virtually unbreachable since there are so many security measures in place that they take very seriously.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

From my understanding, the plants may not be on the internet itself, but are still vulnerable to hackers. The main issue comes from the ability to disrupt the grid threw these smart meters, not to take on the plant directly.

Take a glance at article I posted. I am by no means en expert and would love some more information from others who know more that I.

Ways to thack the grid

To demonstrate his attack, Davis crafted a piece of malware that could self-replicate to other meters, allowing an attacker to shut them down remotely. In simulations, Davis showed that if his worm were released in an area where all the houses were equipped with the same brand of meter, the worm could spread to 15,000 homes in the space of 24 hours.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectedLogic

I won't dispute that it may be possible to affect the grid through the meters, but this is not what the OP is about which is the internet and the stations.

Tampering with smart meters may be more difficult and less effective then advertised, and one must ask the question:
Why advertise?

Again fear tactic.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You make some very valid points.
The more I think about it, the more I will have to agree this seems to be more of a fear tactic than anything else.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I wish someone would hack and disable the billing system and supply us with free power now THAT concept would be a scare for the power giants.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Nothing to be afraid of, they're on our side:

Levy (1984) suggests that there is a "code of ethics" for hacking which, though not pasted on the walls, is in the air:

# Access to Computers - and anything which might teach you something about the way the world works - should be unlimited and total. Always yield to the Hands-On Imperative!

# All information should be free.

# Mistrust Authority - Promote Decentralization.

# Hackers should be judged by their hacking, not bogus criteria such as degrees, age, race, or position.

# You can create art and beauty on a computer.

# Computers can change your life for the better.

courses.cs.vt.edu...

ED: Why doesn't the full external quote show up? That's rubbish because it's in the posting box.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by and14263]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I wouldn't care if they did take over power plants.

These "leaders" that keep "warning" us of this crap are the real danger and people should do whatever they can to undermine them.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
So hackers look to hold a "fire sale" eh? It will be Chaos if they succeed and would give President JoMama an excuse for Martial Law.

Great

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join