It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri voters reject key provision of health care law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The headline could just as well have have read "Missouri voters reject Obamacare".

In a stunning reversal of fortunes for liberal democrats and the obama administration, Missouri voters have by a margin of 3 to 1 passed Proposition C, which rejects it's citizens being forced to buy government health insurance.

article

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - Missouri voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly rejected a key provision of President Barack Obama's health care law, sending a clear message of discontent to Washington and Democrats less than 100 days before the midterm elections.
About 71 percent of Missouri voters backed a ballot measure, Proposition C, that would prohibit the government from requiring people to have health insurance or from penalizing them for not having it.
The Missouri law conflicts with a federal requirement that most people have health insurance or face penalties starting in 2014.

There may be issues with Prop C if the obama administration decides to sue yet another one of the states. However, it also represents the beginning of a groundswell of opposition to obamacare that could lead to its repeal if Republicans take back enough seats in congress starting in November.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Could part of the reason for this vote have been that socialized medicine has taken a couple black eyes in recent days with stories about a Canadian woman suffering a miscarriage after being forced to wait 3 hours for treatment in an emergency room. And there's the man in Sweden that ended up having to suture his own wound due to the long delay in receiving treatment.

Whatever the failings of the U.S. healthcare system, citizens here can't be looking forward to receiving that sort of treatment for the trillion dollar plus "investment" obamacare is forcing us to make.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I won't even get into the socialized medicine debate with you.

I am a very proud Liberal Democrat and I say, "Thank you Missouri!". Obama and the Democrats need to learn that they can't force people to purchase any private item and they can't sell our workers out to the corporations.

It's time to reclaim our country from the Corporations, runaway government and the top 10%. Reclaim this country for the working class once again!

When they say, "We will bring back jobs". I would say, "We don't just want jobs, we want Manufacturing and Agricultural jobs, real jobs that will establish a solid Middle Class and end reliance on a corrupt federal government that continues to sell us out to the highest bidder." And if Obama and the Democrats are unwilling to return to the party for the Middle Class and continue with some elitist liberal agenda that caters to the corporations and throws the Middle Class under the bus then they will be in for a very rude awakening.

The Republicans are suicidal to this country, they want to take us into the depths of servitude to the corporations and the rich. It is coming down to either you are an 'Economic Patriot' or 'Un-American'. And neither party is on our side, only a fraction of the Democrats are and none of the Republicans are.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Last time I checked...Federal Law was the Law of the land.

So this does nothing really.

Anyone want to bet that Missouri will still have to follow the law???

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

OR it could be the start of a popular wave that results in the changing of that federal law.

And do you think it will help obama and the liberal democrats plunging popularity to have to sue yet another state to try and force it to follow another of their very unpopular actions? Sure it will ...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Federal Law is not to law of the land. The Constitution is.

How can the Federal Gov, mandate the purchase of anything? If the courts actually do what they are supposed to, the law or at least the largest portions of it will be struck down. Just like what happened to the Arizona law.

Whether you agree with either of these laws is unimportant, what is important is that the courts are supposed to protect the rights of the citizens, not increase the power of the Gov.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I have no problems with changing federal law. But what you are suggesting is that they will simply just not follow federal law...which isn't going to happen.

If it gets changed...fine...as long as it's done in congress just like how it was passed in the first place.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I have no problems with changing federal law. But what you are suggesting is that they will simply just not follow federal law...which isn't going to happen.

If it gets changed...fine...as long as it's done in congress just like how it was passed in the first place.

Not me. It's what the voters (by a 3 to 1 margin) in Missouri are suggesting.

What I'm suggesting is that if obama wants to force his administration's will on the citizens of Missouri, it will take another lawsuit that will end up making obama and his administration even more unpopular than it is now.

And notice the stories from other states where democrats are making themselves scarce whenever obama shows up in their states in a pathetic attempt not to be associated with him with their elections coming up in November?

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Actually the Supreme Court would be the group to determine if it stands. Congress is part of the problem. And considering that we have Rangle up on ethics charges [2 years of investigation] and Waters soliciting for bailouts, the democratic controlled congress is showing the divide between those holding power and the desires of those they are supposed to serve. The buck can only be passed for so long!

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

And I also want to add that if the law gets changed in congress, lets all hope that any change does NOT get "passed" like it was in the first place. That was one of the most corrupt things ever done in congress.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
More states should join this effort immediately.

Fast-track it to the SCOTUS and see if it holds Constitutional water.

I say...NOT!

...it'd be a great day to be a judge

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The Op article admits that this was passed as a symbolic measure and for good reason.

This is getting a little funny. I am for getting rid of the mandate.

The mandate was an insurance industry money grab, originally backed by the GOP and included in the bill as a trade-off to the insurance companies to not spastically fight the bill....how did that work out?

Don't believe me?...Here's a Fox link.

Republicans Hatched Idea for Obama's Health Insurance Mandate

Republicans were for President Obama's requirement that Americans get health insurance before they were against it.

The obligation in the new health care law is a Republican idea that's been around at least two decades. It was once trumpeted as an alternative to Bill and Hillary Clinton's failed health care overhaul in the 1990s. These days, Republicans call it government overreach.

Mitt Romney, weighing another run for the Republican presidential nomination, signed such a requirement into law at the state level as Massachusetts governor in 2006. At the time, Romney defended it as "a personal responsibility principle" and Massachusetts' newest Republican senator, Scott Brown, backed it.

www.foxnews.com...

What we have here is rhetoric...and rhetoric that many of the GOP love, but ultimately need to see fail or risk losing big campaign contributions from the insurance industry.

a fine line they are walking

I'd be fine with seeing the mandate dropped...The GOP however?...they need to beware thier own "symbolic measures" and rhetoric lest they be forced to actually vote on it

[edit on 4-8-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
The Op article admits that this was passed as a symbolic measure and for good reason.

This is getting a little funny. I am for getting rid of the mandate.

The mandate was an insurance industry money grab, originally backed by the GOP and included in the bill as a trade-off to the insurance companies to not spastically fight the bill....how did that work out?

Don't believe me?...Here's a Fox link.

Republicans Hatched Idea for Obama's Health Insurance Mandate

Republicans were for President Obama's requirement that Americans get health insurance before they were against it.

The obligation in the new health care law is a Republican idea that's been around at least two decades. It was once trumpeted as an alternative to Bill and Hillary Clinton's failed health care overhaul in the 1990s. These days, Republicans call it government overreach.

Mitt Romney, weighing another run for the Republican presidential nomination, signed such a requirement into law at the state level as Massachusetts governor in 2006. At the time, Romney defended it as "a personal responsibility principle" and Massachusetts' newest Republican senator, Scott Brown, backed it.

www.foxnews.com...

What we have here is rhetoric...and rhetoric that many of the GOP love, but ultimately need to see fail or risk losing big campaign contributions from the insurance industry.

a fine line they are walking

I'd be fine with seeing the mandate dropped...The GOP however?...they need to beware thier own "symbolic measures" and rhetoric lest they be forced to actually vote on it

you do know thats a article linked from foxnews comming from a ap opinion article.

guess noone remembers hillary care ????

and hello republicans were and have been and continue to be shutout of anything dems have passed these past few years.

and answer me this people the healthcare vote was 219-212 with 34 dems joining repubs you tell me if they wrote anything in this bill why did not even one vote for it?

answer they didnt write and they didnt have anything to do with it.

so anyone tell me how can republicans be responisbile here when we all know who wrote this bill- and it sure and hell wasnt republicans

typical liberal/revisionist history.

and way to go missouri way to go people stand up and be heard for once.

wait and see if this really has any affect 3 short months til the midterms.

the only way to kill this trash on steriods bill is republican president and republican congress....

if congress stays in democratic hands thats all she wrote and god knows whatelse comes down the pike.

misnoir your anger is misplaced at the corporations your government now has more power than any corporation has ever had.

in any corporation 99% of the employees are middle class and if you are what you say you are the champion of the middle class the anger your placing on them can and will put those people out of jobs someday.

remember that man.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by neo96]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I hope Obama does sue MO. First of all, he'll lose that one. Secondly because it demosntrates, just as the AZ lawsuit did, just how much spite and hatred this adminsitration has for the majority of the American people. It is always far more preferable to openly know who your primary enemies are rather than being surprised when you turn and recieve the knife blade to the back.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I guess this hasn't really made the rounds yet.

www.house.gov...

"Washington, D.C. - Four months after U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi famously declared "We have to pass the bill so you can find out what’s in it,"a congressional panel has released the first chart illustrating the 2,801 page health care law President Obama signed into law in March.

Developed by the Joint Economic Committee minority, led by U.S Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas and Rep. Kevin Brady of Texas, the detailed organization chart displays a bewildering array of new government agencies, regulations and mandates.

"For Americans, as well as Congressional Democrats who didn’t bother to read the bill, this first look at the final health care law confirms what many fear, that reform morphed into a monstrosity of new bureaucracies, mandates, taxes and rationing that will drive up health care costs, hurt seniors and force our most intimate health care choices into the hands of Washington bureaucrats,"said Brady, the committee’s senior House Republican. "If this is what passes for health care reform in America, then God help us all." "

more at link.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

As another proud lefty I am pulled two ways on this.

On the one hand, I support Missouri's right to opt out of the mandate that requires everyone to purchase health insurance.

I, too, am concerned that greedy Big Insurance will just capitalize on this mandate and charge a gazillion dollars for insurance if they want to. There are no real curbs in the present health care legislation to prevent them from doing this.

If the bill included a public option maybe people could find insurance coverage at a cost they could reasonably afford, although my preference is for a single-payer system.

On the other hand, I think I understand a few reasons why the mandate has been put in the bill.

If the pool of insured people expands to cover the whole population then theoretically the cost for each individual should go down. If everyone was covered then the cost of medical care for the uninsured would not add to the cost of medical care for those who are covered. A few countries like Japan and Denmark have such a mandate and it seems to work pretty well for them. Of course, sellers of private insurance in those countries may not be as greedy as the ones we face here.

On balance (I realize as I write this) I believe I am more inclined to Missouri's side. The government has claimed it will subsidize the cost of health care insurance for those who cannot afford it, but that coverage may not apply to the middle class (which seems always to get screwed), and again Big Insurance can potentially bankrupt the government with it's unreasonable and profit-driven prices.

Go Missouri.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

and answer me this people the healthcare vote was 219-212 with 34 dems joining repubs you tell me if they wrote anything in this bill why did not even one vote for it?

so anyone tell me how can republicans be responisbile here when we all know who wrote this bill- and it sure and hell wasnt republicans

Do you ever feel bad about being dishonest? Honest question.

Of the 788 amendments filed,
67 came from Democrats
and 721 from Republicans.
Only 197 amendments were passed in the end—
36 from Democrats and
161 from Republicans.
And of those 161 GOP amendments, Senate Republicans classify 29 as substantive and 132 as technical.

www.slate.com...

Still don't believe me?...Here watch it on CSpan..

Senate Republicans Block Own Amendments on Health Care Bill
www.youtube.com...

I don't care about your political leanings, but please save the BS whatever your "feelings" are.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
I hope Obama does sue MO. First of all, he'll lose that one. Secondly because it demosntrates, just as the AZ lawsuit did, just how much spite and hatred this adminsitration has for the majority of the American people. It is always far more preferable to openly know who your primary enemies are rather than being surprised when you turn and recieve the knife blade to the back.

Some people are not paying attention.

If the US Gov. sues MO, it will be the conservatives on the SCOTUS that will rule to enforce this.

If this goes farther than symbolism, it will cease to be useful rhetoric for the GOP and begin to be something they will be forced to fight against.

The GOP needs the mandate, it serves thier business interests. It represents Billions for the insurance industry..which represents 100's of Millions in backing for the GOP.

It is possible that the Dems will even try to figure out a way to permit MO and others to opt out and the GOP will S*&^ themselves being cornered and forced to actually oppose such a modification to protect the Billions the Mandate represents.

The GOP will then try to blockade the change with some really crazy explanation. Likely they will try to tack on all types of crap, or call for an all or nothing repeal of the HC bill...but they sure as hell won't let states opt out of the Mandate.

It just might go that way...it will be a circus if it does.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

That's funny cuz last I checked, Federal Law is only the law of the land if it is Constitutional. The federal government is not a monarchy nor a dictatorship. There are limits on the federal government as enumerated in the 10th Ammendment.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Originally posted by neo96

Do you ever feel bad about being dishonest? Honest question.

Of the 788 amendments filed,
67 came from Democrats
and 721 from Republicans.
Only 197 amendments were passed in the end—
36 from Democrats and
161 from Republicans.
And of those 161 GOP amendments, Senate Republicans classify 29 as substantive and 132 as technical.

www.slate.com...

Still don't believe me?...Here watch it on CSpan..

Senate Republicans Block Own Amendments on Health Care Bill
www.youtube.com...

I don't care about your political leanings, but please save the BS whatever your "feelings" are.

oh there is definately bs here but it isnt comming from me no matter what you say nothing and nothing can deny who voted for it and who didnt.

that fact is democrats passed it- and they did lie, cocerse and bribed to do it.

with all the so called facts which u say not one repub voted.

im standing on my view you can stand on your view.

in my opinion they are the biggest lie i have ever seen so far this year.

its a brillant move democrats passed a law and get you to beleive its republicans faults.

man that says so many things one of which of - hmm soon they are really gonna find out whats in the bill- so we can start saving our azzes now and give the extreme leftists fresh meat with the articles like those spreading all over the net more of this bs will be comming out the closer we get to the midterms thats just 3 short months away.

your free to believe what you want man thats cool-

but me? on this one i am putting in the toilet and flushing where it belongs :p

[edit on 5-8-2010 by neo96]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join