It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dash Cam; Cop Tased Teen On Bike Then Runs Over Him

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
"Death of teen exposes risks of expanded Taser usage
(August 1, 2010) Victor Steen was the fourth person who died in Florida in 2009 in a Taser incident. He was fleeing on bicycle from an officer when he fell from his bicycle; the officer's cruiser then ran over him."

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Hit him with a taser, ran him over, then when he saw that he basically killed the boy, he plants a drop gun on him to give his actions merit.

Shocking, but not something new or out of the norm from the Gestapo In Blue in this nation.

Pathetic.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Moron shouldn't have been running from the cops. Brought it on himself and the cop shouldn't feel bad about the act, but no one can NOT feel bad about killing a kid. I feel for the guy.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by KILL_DOGG

So, for you it is OK to kill a kid if he is "running from the cops"

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Is there reasonable doubt? Was the drop gun serial numbers ran?

Did the officer negligently cause death of criminal? The kid was a criminal, he was running from the officer.

But the officer DID cause the death of someone by his negligence. I highly doubt if I ran over a kid, while working would I get the same treatment.

Further questions, what did the officer see to engage the subject?

Not enough information for a lot of this to make a full decision. But, if the officer had no reason to engage the kid, definitely found guilty of negligent manslaughter.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Ridiculous!
Tasers are NOT appropriate compliance tools. They should be used INSTEAD of a gun ONLY when an officer's safty is a concern - ie: Suspect has a knife, is on drugs, is acting violently etc... Instead, they are being used as cattle prods to elicit specific compliance to the officer's satisfaction. As a result, we are seeing many needless deaths at the hands of police officers too lazy to use other more appropiate policing methods and techniques.

My belief is that tasers should be removed from these police officers until such time that clear guidelines are established and thorough training completed.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
That is because the police is only serving and protecting their own interests nowadays. The balance is shifting towards more cops being crooked, then there are those who actually serve the public, as intended. Some say the police is the biggest "legal" gang out there that can do as it pleases without accountability. I agree. That is why I get so angry when people start shouting, in defence of those evil SOB's, that we shouldn't generalize, that not all cops are bad. From personal experience, I can say that I have, very often, seen them do much more harm, then good. They are mostly too arrogant to look you in the face when you ask them something, and act as if they are somehow more important then any other regular person. They even turn victims in to suspects, if/when it suits them. If they were as good as they claim, they would be called "Doves" instead of "Pigs".

ACAB

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Planted a gun on him? Dude you guys seriously watch to much T.V. Ride along with a police officer sometime...one day and you'll change your tone.

Do you guys seriously think Police Officers have spare handguns in each of our vehicles in a special location just so if we screw up we can go grab the spare gun and plant it on someone...the "light colored and floppy" item was probably friggin medical gloves he was putting on and he got under there to check to see if the friggin kid he just ran over was alive.

Get real people...quit acting like this is NYPD Blue Hollywood Bullshi7.

It was an accident...if your really think a cop wants to hurt someone when they get a chance...shoot someone or in this case run someone over...YOU got problems and thank GOD your not a cop.

Jesus if Cops acted and thought like you guys in the public we would seriously be in the crazy-killer-cop right-taken-away-police-world you want to believe. Its not the case. .001% of the time you got a douche bag cop who slipped through the cracks...screw him! I dont care about that guy cause he doesnt represent law enforcement...look deeper into this stuff instead of bashing a friggin cop who would save your a$$ if need be and not think twice about it.

I would give my life to help one of you guys out here and for you to chalk stuff off in lame and hateful way gives me serious issues. I already cant stand the fact we deal with the crap we do on a daily basis just so people like you can shi7 on all of us when the get on ATS and see a REAL LIFE sitation that wasnt a good one...so there you go you got real DRAMA and it strikes a chord in ya...good...now deal with that on a daily basis and have people hate on you for it.

Not going to say anything about the vid except one thing....watch it and shut up about it. Swallow it in and dont say a thing...just cause you guys have rights doesnt mean you EARN a dang one of them! People like this cop earn them...who have to deal with a kid who ran from him who had a friggin gun on him!!!! Hoping he doesnt get shot by the kid...hoping he doesnt take someone hostage in an attempt to escape capture from the cop....so now the COP has to deal with running over the kid and killing him. SUCKS. The rest of his life! So you guys can give your little 2 cents based on video games, Hollywood, a newspaper artical, and a small clip from a taser cam and dash cam.

Sorry for the frustration...just seen this attitude so many times...and if a PD Officer finds himself making a bad decision..he will have to deal with it...he'll forever be reliving this situation and wondering why he didnt bob instead of weeve.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Reconer

Yes, he probably will. BUT, the kid will forever be dead.

Like I said, if anyone else caused the death of someone while working, I think a case of negligent manslaughter would AT LEAST be discussed by the DA.

Not saying it did not happen, just doubtful.

Just because you are a LEO, does not mean the LAW should not apply to you.

Or do you think the LAW should not apply to you?

There are more dangerous professions than yours.

15 most dangerous jobs

Well, you are number 10 though.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I see an opportunity!
Anti-Taser wear !
This "tool" is quickly becoming a get your rocks off common place replacement for common sense.
It's used way to frequently in inappropriate circumstances,
old ladys, dads at traffic stops, when an officer is simply asked a question,
the tendency to jump to "non-compliance" status and the use of force, (and this is incapcitating force) is ridiculous.
Too many Judge Dreads out there, with too little life experience and brains.
Zombie corporate warrior lap dogs.

And that 1% that slip thru the cracks, do 100% of the damage because the industry doesnt police itself well enough, to protect the "image" and "perception" of law in forcement as a whole, the problems of the FEW outweigh the needs of the MANY.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by Reconer

Yes, he probably will. BUT, the kid will forever be dead.

Like I said, if anyone else caused the death of someone while working, I think a case of negligent manslaughter would AT LEAST be discussed by the DA.

Not saying it did not happen, just doubtful.

Just because you are a LEO, does not mean the LAW should not apply to you.

Or do you think the LAW should not apply to you?

There are more dangerous professions than yours.

15 most dangerous jobs

Well, you are number 10 though.

[edit on 8/3/2010 by endisnighe]

For the record...I pay child support...WAyyyyy to much because trust me...I know the system is not fair sometimes. My ex gets to go to college and have my son full time while I work shi7 hours trying to pay for my child support...why cause I couldnt afford a lawyer and her DAD could. I pay my child support and still pay for my child's clothes and extras...dont even get to really see him much cause I have to work 2nd and 3rd shift. Trust me...I understand the reason behind child support (Thinking I'm going to make a thread about it...lol) but it is abused...and I have no choice but to pay it or I go to jail. If I do some stupid crap in my personal vehicle...the cops on patrol dont know me from a fly on a wall...and it is very arrogant once they come up to your window to say "Hey dude Im a cop too...huhuuhuh...were on the same team were buddines so let me go bud." No, it doesnt work like that.."Well, if your a cop then why are you speeding or (whatever the violation)?"

Get my drift...yes maybe you will get a warning as a professional courtesy but it is very embarrassing and disrespectful to the officer who stopped you..cause it makes us look bad cause we are held to a highter standard...so it means following the laws and being respectful to the public in and out of uniform.

So...not to get off topic but I read the rest of the artical. Couple of things...first...all we need is reasonable suspicion to stop and question someone to investigate them if we suspect them of a crime...or being up to no good basically. Black or not ...my area we really have a mixed community...if your up to no good...maybe curfew violation, not having propper equipment (lights) on his borrowed bike, being around a construction zone after hours (trust me...i've taken a lot of theft reports worth 100,000 dollars worth of supplise and equipment (how would you feel? would you want an officer to check suspicous activity in the area?) Well...the officer went to investigate the kid and he ran...really? Come on ...why would you run?

In the artical it said the kid left his family's (friends?) house around 12:45 am (kinda late to be cruzing around (drugs?) and the incident didnt occur until around 1:45ish....so he was up to something for approximately 1 hours and the chase happened approximately 4 1/2 miles away from where he left on the bike...doent take an hour to get 4 miles away on a bike...(had to run 3 mile fittness tests in the Marine Corps...ran it in 19 minutes)...so i'll give him 20 minutes on his bike...so what where was he and what was he doing (where no one knew where he was) for that extra 40 minutes? Probably up to no good...or maybe at his girls house? Either way it was still late...no one on the streets and kids do have curfew cause of increased crime acitvity at night and kids breaking into cars and thefts.

The officer was good on stopping him...but the kid ran. Fleeing and eluding can be a felony but that is if your in a car...
The officer is verbally telling the kid to stop and had his lights on ..Driving may appear to be erradic but wasnt to bad. Dont think the taser hit the kid. Fell?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Running away on a bicycle is a heinous offense in the United States. Driving erratically in a multi-ton patrol car, up and over sidewalks, on the wrong side of the road, tires screeching and virtually out of control... is not, apparently.

He could have easily crushed someone walking out of a shop door, or standing in a blind spot on the sidewalk, but alas, he hit the "criminal" who is also a "moron", apparently. By one poster's claim, bearing witness to a dead child who can no longer speak up to defend himself, because he is dead.

Only do such people come out of the woodwork when it is assured the victim who suffers brutality from the police cannot speak for themselves. Only when the victim cannot defend themselves, do these people go out of their way to call them names and shun them. When the victim is able to speak for themselves, the accusers are generally too much of a coward to speak against them. Lest they face any sort of honorable opposition, or be forced to face their own lack of integrity.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Here's the thing, this teen is dead because of his decision, not the LEO's. When an officer approaches you to question you or your motives, if you're not doing anything wrong, this should not be an issue. If you are not commiting a crime, carrying drugs or paraphanalia(sp?), and don't have any outstanding warrants, you wouldn't run (if you would, you're an idiot).

So this kid is obviously attempting to flee because he is commiting/has commited a crime and has something to hide. If the officer lets him get away, innocent people might be hurt or killed by this person. The officer uses his taser and an unfortunate accident occured. The officer probably feels horrible and will most likely face some type of discipline for this.

However, I look at as one more criminal off the streets. This person made his choice and it cost him his life. Not the cops fault, he was doing exactly what we pay them for....to get criminals off the street.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Running away on a bicycle is a heinous offense in the United States. Driving erratically in a multi-ton patrol car, up and over sidewalks, on the wrong side of the road, tires screeching and virtually out of control... is not, apparently.

He could have easily crushed someone walking out of a shop door, or standing in a blind spot on the sidewalk, but alas, he hit the "criminal" who is also a "moron", apparently. By one poster's claim, bearing witness to a dead child who can no longer speak up to defend himself, because he is dead.

Only do such people come out of the woodwork when it is assured the victim who suffers brutality from the police cannot speak for themselves. Only when the victim cannot defend themselves, do these people go out of their way to call them names and shun them. When the victim is able to speak for themselves, the accusers are generally too much of a coward to speak against them. Lest they face any sort of honorable opposition, or be forced to face their own lack of integrity.

"Go out of their way to call them ('Victims' who run from a valid police stop) bad names and shun them." What?????

You are struggling with the concept of death and dying..."burtal"...you really dont care man so dont act like you TRUELY do...you are just frightened by the demise of that kid and you should be...cause we call can go at anytime.

Is it really hard for you guys to understand...when a law enforcement officer tells you to stop...stop. I hate it when people dont take responsibility for their own actions...they want to empathise with fleeing from the police...none of you still dont have any idea what that kid was doing (Niether do i) Simple fact remains that the kid got ran over on accident cause he was trying to take advantage of having a bike vs the cop car and the cop was trying the best he could to keep up with the kid (seriously dont act like he was driving on the side walk the whole time). The kid was fleeing for a reason...whatever reason that was...and when you run from the police you will get persued...yes...cops drive cop cars...so if your going to run then you will get taken to jail or worse...fall over and get run over on ACCIDENT.

Either way the lesson is always the same..bad cop right?
Or...when a police officer attempts to stop you to question you...dont run (Unless you've got something to hide or done something wrong then run...like...if you have a gun...)

What about all those people who run from the cops from horrible crimes...then they wreck into an innocent motorist and kill themselves and someone else.

Dont give me "what if's" What happened was he ran cause he had a gun and was out late looking suspicious on a bike that didnt have propper equimpment on it to be safe to opperate on the road (to be seen to prevent an accident) and he ran from a cop who observed the suspiciousness (rightly so)...then the cop tried to keep up...taser had nothing to do with it from what I seen...taser was activated but that kid appeared to might have want to stop and give up running or might have fell cause of that median in the parking lot...cop thought he was still fleeing and tried to keep enough speed to keep up with the kid..didnt see him...bam! Damn...what a bad deal all the way around. Stupid kid...bad situation and bad night for the cop.

And I really do understand why the family would build their kid up to be this perfect kid. No kid is perfect...I wasnt. No kid is a horrible kid either...just a product of their surroundings if they cant overcome the mental attatchment to their upbringings. The artical is a viewpoint from the writer...caused to stir feelings about the people who wear a uniform to protect and enforce laws...put into stressful and dangerous situations.

One question...what would you guys have done...since you have all the answers. Have a complete solution.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
One other thing...the editor of the video trys to construe this in a way that makes the viewer really attempt to consider that the police officer might have placed a gun on the kid. "obtains a light colored object from the passenger's side of his patrol car and gets under the vehicle where (the kid) was for about 40 seconds while the other three police officers are standing up."

Hmmm...maybe an attempt for the editor of the vid to play off Hollywood bullshi7 and actually play off the "Hate a cop" mentality...propaganda...media edited...play-off-the-emotions-of-the-public bullshi7.

I seriously have a box of tan latex gloves in my passenger's side patrol-utility rack...for medical calls and blood and body fluid purposes. So i dont give my wife aids from the nasty stuff I have to deal with...

I, from experience, truely believe this officer grabbed a pair of gloves and got under his patrol car where the kid was to check his vitals and see if he could help the kid. The officer now has this kids blood on his hands...literally. Seriously...do you want someones blood on your hands...I deal with blood almost every other day...If i didnt take this precaution i would have everything imaginable by now..and my wife and kids too...be realistic this isnt the damn movies and this comentator/ media retard is trying to make it seem so.

This is another police bashing vid commentated on by the media given to you to play off the authority-hating public to gain attention...and it did.

Once again..take a closer look instead of playing into your emotions. It really is almost impossibly to be a cop...my flawless military career and combat experience didnt mean a thing...backround checks...polygraph test...fitness course....written test...several oral questioning boards....6 month academy...3 month field training on each shift...then your still on probation for a year when your finally on your own...and your fellow officers are always picking you appart for little things like "turning your overhead lights off when they arnt needed" so its really not a free for all buddy program...and if you think it is then test it out and try it.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reconer
Well...the officer went to investigate the kid and he ran...really? Come on ...why would you run?

Good question.
1- guilty of doing something criminal.
2- afraid of traditionally what happens to people of color by white prejudice police.
3- raised by idiot parents or absentee parents.
4- thinks he's a gangsta and believes video game reality is reality.
5- was too young too inexperienced too afraid.
6- we'll never know because Roscoe turned him into a speed bump.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
1- guilty of doing something criminal.
2- afraid of traditionally what happens to people of color by white prejudice police.
3- raised by idiot parents or absentee parents.
4- thinks he's a gangsta and believes video game reality is reality.
5- was too young too inexperienced too afraid.
6- we'll never know because Roscoe turned him into a speed bump.

Don't be silly. The only reason anyone is ever afraid of the police is because they are a criminal, no exceptions, and they rightly deserve being killed. Or it's just an unfortunate 'accident'.

[This is Sarcasm]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Don't be silly. The only reason anyone is ever afraid of the police is because they are a criminal, no exceptions, and they rightly deserve being killed. Or it's just an unfortunate 'accident'.

I suggest you reread your post, REMOVED DUE TO PETITION, thats how you make me feel sick bastard. So he deserves to be dead...too bad you probably are in the US, or too good, someday you will be tased too, and hopefully run over by patrol car, but then, I hope you dont die, so you suffer long enough(too bad being a disgraceful SOB is not a crime, you would end up in jail).

Will that do Happy?
[edit on 3-8-2010 by Juanxlink]

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Juanxlink]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Juanxlink

I think he was being sarcastic and didnt mean it directly, read his prior post.
Please remove beer can karma curse.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Look...the kid being killed sucks bad. For the world views it as a tragedy...nothing on the surface seemed overly wrong right? Running really isnt that bad right? Wrong..the kid had a friggin brain and didnt make the right choices and he died!!!! Period.

We all have 1 life and how do you want to live it? No one thinks about their environment and how their choices have effects....(Butterfly Effect...good movie for this). Point is the kid never was exposed to this concept of cause and effect or never grew mentally enough to be aware of the concept...just go go go go go and the world is my urinal...nope. In real life your actions have consquences.

The kid ran and the cop persued (as I would have) and ran him over on accident cause he couldnt see. Stupid kid caused alot of responsibility questions if anything and was a tragedy.

I would probably quit the job I loved after killing a stupid kid like that...its horrible and would make me sick. Thats the biggest thing looked over by the public. You have no clue how much responsibility the police have for trying to take care of their community and when we do and bad things happen like this...were to blame. No were not....95% of the time.

When a death as horrible as this happens people go "oooohhhh ahhhhhh" and want answers. Shut up cause you have the answers but refuse to live by them...if you had the answers and lived by them then we wouldnt have crime...but we do dont we...cause everyone wants to blame everyone else for their selfish choices...its an ethical problem that is still a problem but society doesnt view it a problem until its criminal...then we have to clean up after them and chase stupid kids on bike and when then get run over...same ol' shi7.

Why...? He was such a good kid? He was so smart? He was so loving? Ok...seriously its a basic human defense mechanism to truely in your heart believe your kid is good. 90% of the time maybe so but its what he does when no one is looking that counts. Worst thing is how much people decieve one another...trust me...I wish there wasnt law enforcement too...and I am a cop! Then I could actually spend time with my family and have weekends off and acutally sleep next to my wife...instead of spending hours on domestic violence and DUI hit and runs...hunting stupid humans....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join