It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this explain hell's eternal fire?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

A time-table for the levant volcanic province, according to K-Ar dating in the golan heights, Israel

D. Mor*, a

a Geological Survey of Israel, Jerusalem, 95501, Israel
Received 19 August 1992;
accepted 21 October 1992.
Available online 10 April 2003.

Abstract

The Levant Volcanic extends through northeastern Jordan and Syria to the Golan Heights. Minor volcanic fields also developed in the northern Israel, around the Hula Valley (northern Israel) and in southern Lebanon. This province is a part of an extensive volcanic field which developed during the Cenozoic in the northwestern part of the Arabian plate, aligned roughly in a northwestern direction, subparallel to the Red Sea. The location of the Golan Heights is significant because of its proximity to the Dead Sea Rift Valley, which is assumed to be a transform fault on the Red Sea spreading system.

The volcanic sequence in the Golan Heights and its surroundings, named the “Bashan Group”, overlies the Lower Pliocene regional erosional unconformity. This group is subdivided into five rock units which differ in certain aspects of their morphologic attributes as well as in their radiogenic ages, based on 175 K-Ar age determination made on samples from 54 selected sites:

1. 1. Lower Pliocene basalts (5.0-3.Ma.)

2. 2. Upper Pliocene basalts (2.9-1.7 Ma)

3. 3. Lower Pleistocene basalts (1.6-0.7 Ma).

4. 4. Upper Pleitocene basalts (0.4-0.1 Ma.)

5. 5. Holocene basalts (no data yet).

The Lower Pliocene basalts create a large volcanic plateau from southern Syria to the Lower Galilee. The present Dead Sea Rift in northern Israel began to subside at the end or after this phase, and the Upper Pliocene basalts flowed into it from Lebanon to the Hula Valley. Pleistocene volocanic sources were recognized only in the eastern side of the Rift.

The mean rate of tectonic lowering of the Dead Sea Rift bottom south of the Sea of Galilee is estimated to have been 0.24 mm/yr. The incision rate of the Yarmouk River (the main tributary of the Jordan River) was 0.13 mm/yr, and the rate of the infilling of the Rift in this region was 0.11 mm/yr.

Link

Was Jesus actually using metaphors, in his messages, when talking about hell? I do not know but this makes it more interesting.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by bputman]

[edit on 2-8-2010 by bputman]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Specifically which messages of jesus?

Line 2

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Specifically which messages of jesus?

Line 2

Just generally speaking of Jesus teachings on hell fire, eternal fire, burning chaff. If I saw a lava field flowing out of the ground I could use that in my teachings to describe hell. A place that sinners go to for their punishments.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bputman

Oh, sorry - I would have thought you'd use some specific examples.

Was the holy land supposed to be a volcanic region?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Maybe he just means the bible in general & did not articulate himself very well.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that out. From the link presented I'm unclear of the timeframe of the data - BC/AD relative.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Hell isn't full of fire, it's freezing. Hell is the place where God's love is absent, it's cold. Very cold. The burns are like you would get from dry ice or liquid nitrogen. You have taken things a little too literally.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This thread reminded me of this joke. It has been on the internet a couple years now, and is probably fake. Still, there seem to be two versions, but the funnier (I guess) is this one:

Hell, Boyle's Law, and Teresa
The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid term.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

The answer by one student was so ' utterly profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Of course, if hell's fire is eternal, then this student's answer is probably wrong, and he lied about Teresa.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by babloyi]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

It is fake - Snopes explanation

Hell doesn't exist anyway, so the question is moot.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
This thread reminded me of this joke. It has been on the internet a couple years now, and is probably fake. Still, there seem to be two versions, but the funnier (I guess) is this one:

Hell, Boyle's Law, and Teresa
The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid term.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

The answer by one student was so ' utterly profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Of course, if hell's fire is eternal, then this student's answer is probably wrong, and he lied about Teresa.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by babloyi]

That joke was hiiilllaaaarriiooouuusss!!! Thanks for posting it"

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bputman

Maybe you need to look up this word - The Term "Hell" Is...

I wish people believed that the bible was a cookbook.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
There is a long-ish thread somewhere here on ATS that actually delves into the subject of hell. In a nutshell, the word has been mistranslated. Hell was basicly a descriptor of "Man's grave". Basicly a hole in the ground where a dead body is laid to rest. Check the link below, it goes over he exact same stuff as the ATS thread.

hell and the grave

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
All I can say is "God let's hope not." But then again lets remember that the Bible was written all over the place and not just over ancient Israel. I'm personally hoping that "hell" is a personal, internal state that can be easily transcended, for the record.

top topics

join