It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authentic Taliban Interview

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

A France24 TV crew, led by a woman named Claire Billet, visits a band of around 20 taliban fighters.

Machineguns, chinese anti-tank mines and Iraqui RPG for 300$ a piece are presented, an Iraqui man, preparing for a bomb suicide is with the Pashtoon gang.
The Taliban leader explains his distrust of american motives. "They just use excuses to invade muslim countries"

Later on, the Taliban take the film team to a boys school on their territory, where a teacher states, that the Taliban do not impede the education, but says a lot of qualified teachers died.
The taliban leader says, he would allow a girls school, too, but blames American occupiers on insulting afghan women.

Great courage by that french woman and her team. This interview gives a personal impression of the actual fighters, doing the harm to the US- and NATO-troops and the Karzai government in Afghanistan.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by XenoStuffz]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I'm not seeing the video! Can you fix it for us? Thanks!
2nd line.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I had some noob-troubles with the links, that led to a messe-up thread. Sorry for the inconenience

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by XenoStuffz

Huge CRAP to the taliban - they kill kill kill - and they do not care if it is their own or others.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I linked to YT and got this,

The URL contained a malformed video ID.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by XenoStuffz

This is quite interesting, I couldn’t watch the video because it won’t load for some reason. Anyway just based on what you claim to be in the video is rather insightful. In 2001 the Taliban stated to become more moderate, they almost eradicated opium production, and were more moderate on the implementation Sharia law for instance they lifted the ban on kite flying. It is also rumoured that they were or had in place a program that allowed girls to addend a school of sorts. I agree the Taliban are not by any means “the good guys” however for the government and the media it’s much easier to skip over the part of their history before the invasion where they were starting to become more moderate.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

The portrayed guys look like real people with simple enough mindsets. The actual reporting seems unbiased neither towards nor against what they are doing. I wonder, how to explain to one of those guys, why he should stop fighting.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

I understand your feelings. I am sorry I cant get the video-link fixed, but if you click the URL in the second post, you can take a look at them anyway.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Use-by date post expired

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Manouche]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Manouche

Thanks a lot. I repaired the link in the first posting now, so new readers see, what the thread is about.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by XenoStuffz
reply to post by kevinunknown

The portrayed guys look like real people with simple enough mindsets. The actual reporting seems unbiased neither towards nor against what they are doing. I wonder, how to explain to one of those guys, why he should stop fighting.

They are defending their homeland from foreign invaders. I know they are guilty of some pretty awfull things, but as westerners we dont really know or understand their actions. Why should they stop fighting when their land is occupied by a foreign force. They have beaten back nations before and will do so again. How would you feel if your country was invaded by another country, would you want to fight back, knowing full well you have the ability to beat of the occupiers?

You would be better telling the NATO soldiers go stop fighting.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
dp

[edit on 2-8-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

That’s quite a good argument but remember the Taliban that were in government were very much under the influence of Pakistan and large groups of Afghans were strongly against their rule. When NATO forces withdraw it will be interesting to see how Afghanistan moves forward, their government is corrupt and there is still a significant threat from violent Islamic extremists. I fear that when NATO with draw a power vacuum will be left behind and a civil war will quickly follow with one of the various terrorist groups winning over or one of the tribal war lords. I hope I am wrong and the Afghan security forces and government can get their act together and fight of these groups but sadly I doubt it.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

On the other hand, by all western polls the popularity of those Taliban fighters among the Afghan population is close to a bad case of flu. They are an armed minority, that funds itself by extortion, donations from dubious sources in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan and smuggling.
I understand their motives, like I understand the motives of a Skinhead group, claiming to "purge" their nation from "foreign" influences, but I really dont want to see them running a nation.

If the NATO-Troops leave too hastily and the Karzai Government collapses, Afghanistan might fall back into a bloody civil war.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown

I fear that when NATO with draw a power vacuum will be left behind and a civil war will quickly follow with one of the various terrorist groups winning over or one of the tribal war lords.

Yes and that's why NATO won't withdraw for now.
One man could have prevented this fate, Commander Massoud. He was respected by all the factions. Unfortunately, he was murdered on 9/9/01.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
If a lot of different things go right, a tacid withdrawal of ISAF could work.

The guys from the video will not believe it is even planned to withdraw, but for the moment the anti-islam crusaders in the USA don't seem to have much sway, with the US Army exhausted after 10 years of war, so lets assume the US want out, with as little drama as possible, then it is Karzai government against diverse groups of isolationist fighters.

A lot will depend on how much donations the insurgents will still get from ISI, wahhabist Sauds and possibly Iranian guards, after ISAF starts drawing down. As one of the Taliban fighters in the video said: "We actually eat a lot, because we walk a lot every day" Somebody has to pay the rations... I have heard US intelligence action praise the efforts to crack down on terror supporters in Saudi Arabia, and Wikileaks and other PR-events could give Hillary Clinton a good excuse to keep a watchful eye on ISI pockets without offending Paki feelings.

China, Russia, India seem content with NATO paying for a secure economic environment while they do some development business.

Best hope for 2014? Some kind of peace?

new topics

top topics

join