It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frostproof Property Tax Rate May Rise 8.7 Percent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
www.theledger.com...

The reason the same tax rate is producing less revenue is because property values have been falling in the weak economy. So if the city keeps the $7.82 rate, property owners could see a drop in their city tax bills.

For that reason, the council tentatively set the rate at $8.50, meaning property owners would pay that amount for every $1,000 in taxable property.

For example, someone living in house assessed at $150,000 with $50,000 homestead exemptions, would pay $850 in municipal property taxes. That doesn't include other government taxes, like those paid to the county or the School District.

So, we have a weak economy. Many say we are in a recession. Some say we are in a depression. So, what do some localities do? They look at ways to raise taxes.

Florida is one of the worst hit places for this economic downturn. It takes quite madness or boldness (depending upon your perception) to come out with the idea of raising taxes in a failing economy.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If you want to put a stop to something tax it. Isn't that the excuse liberals give for raising taxes on tobacco? If we tax it less people will use tobacco?

Well if you raise taxes on property, can't they be said to be against property ownership and want less people to own property?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
www.theledger.com...

The reason the same tax rate is producing less revenue is because property values have been falling in the weak economy. So if the city keeps the $7.82 rate, property owners could see a drop in their city tax bills.

For that reason, the council tentatively set the rate at $8.50, meaning property owners would pay that amount for every $1,000 in taxable property.

For example, someone living in house assessed at $150,000 with $50,000 homestead exemptions, would pay $850 in municipal property taxes. That doesn't include other government taxes, like those paid to the county or the School District.

So, we have a weak economy. Many say we are in a recession. Some say we are in a depression. So, what do some localities do? They look at ways to raise taxes.

Florida is one of the worst hit places for this economic downturn. It takes quite madness or boldness (depending upon your perception) to come out with the idea of raising taxes in a failing economy.

While taxes will increase property values have decreased so over all the cost to the property owner will be pretty much the same. The question is however as the economy recovers and value rises will they make a tax cut. That will be the thing to watch.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
If you want to put a stop to something tax it. Isn't that the excuse liberals give for raising taxes on tobacco? If we tax it less people will use tobacco?

Well if you raise taxes on property, can't they be said to be against property ownership and want less people to own property?

Then Texas obviously doesn't want people to own property. Texas, which is by far conservative Republican, has one of the highest tax rates in the country. It's not uncommon for people here to pay more in property taxes than federal income taxes.

The real problem is the need to continue to pay higher and higher wages to employees that live off the money from property taxes. Here, the teachers have starting wages about 10k higher than the average income in the city, yet whine about not being payed enough every year. So, we see an increase in property tax almost every year. Of course, the city employees are also well paid compared to the rest of us lackeys.

So, even in good times we seen property taxes sky rocket. It has little to due with the economic conditions. Over the last 20 years, my property has increased by about 75% in value but has seen property taxes increase 300%.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Kaploink]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I used to work in a property tax department (even though I got fired, I hated the job. Lots of sad stories. The worst were the bastards that would buy a tax bill during a tax sale, in hopes of being able to acquire the deed at a later date.

Anyway, everyone is just following the law. If the assessor wouldn't reassess the properties as they're required to do every so many years, the taxing bodies could scream & yell. It'd just take one little taxing body to report the assessor to the state, for all hell to break out.

The bodies have some leeway in the tax amounts. When property values go up, the bodies can adjust the millages downward so they are collecting the same amount of tax. But the problem is if they do that, they wont be able to roll the mills forward if they have to later on.

The whole system is one big cluster-hump. I'm not defending these vultures. But wanted to let you know what's happening, and you need to address this at a state government level.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
What the LIAR politicians fail to say, is that THEY do not reassess property values lower. Never have, never will.

I called my cities tax assessment office and asked if they were going to reassess the property values now that the values have decreased. There answer, WHAT?

Politicians LIE, it is almost a prerequisite. Hell, look at the biggest liar out there, they usually become president.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Losing the homestead credits due to lower appraisals during a time that tax rates are rising is a big problem. The homestead credits help enormously. It's a double whammy.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
What the LIAR politicians fail to say, is that THEY do not reassess property values lower. Never have, never will.

I called my cities tax assessment office and asked if they were going to reassess the property values now that the values have decreased. There answer, WHAT?

Politicians LIE, it is almost a prerequisite. Hell, look at the biggest liar out there, they usually become president.

We were always told to have the property owner contact the assessor regarding any property values. We pretty much had to pass the buck. But if they aren't going to reassess your property to a lower value, you might want to contact your Wisconsin's tax commission. Their link is: www.revenue.wi.gov...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by elfie
Losing the homestead credits due to lower appraisals during a time that tax rates are rising is a big problem. The homestead credits help enormously. It's a double whammy.

Actually, the homesteads hurt the tax payers. Some people are lucky, or connected, enough to have their property assessed at below the homestead exemption. Meaning they pay zero tax. So of course they are going to vote for every millage for every taxing body. Since they don't have to pay the tax, they don't really care, as long as it's something they think will benefit them.

If the exemption was reduced, at least you'd have more people hesitant to renew obscene amounts of millages. There's a way around the homestead, it's called parcel fees. One was added a few years ago here for fire protection, so I assume more bodies can do it if they want.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by rocketman70433

Thanks for that, I am going to give the guy on the assessors list a call tomorrow. Ask if we could get a reassessment of the property.

Thanks again.

You seem to pretty knowledgable on the property taxes. Myself very weak subject. Do you know if any of the states allow allodial title anymore? I have tried to research that, but it is like chasing a ghost.

[edit on 8/2/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

The State is a criminal organization of looters that makes all of its "profits" through theft and coercion.

What does the Mafia do when its marks are out of cash?

There is no difference between a Mafia "protection" racket and the government.

None.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by rocketman70433

Thanks for that, I am going to give the guy on the assessors list a call tomorrow. Ask if we could get a reassessment of the property.

Thanks again.

You seem to pretty knowledgable on the property taxes. Myself very weak subject. Do you know if any of the states allow allodial title anymore? I have tried to research that, but it is like chasing a ghost.

[edit on 8/2/2010 by endisnighe]

If your local assessor is giving you the run around, definitely talk to the state commission. If nothing else, they can order a reassessment of your county. In Louisiana, they are required by law to open the tax books for inspection every year. That might be your window to appeal an assessment.

Like I said, I have no idea what formula they use to arrive at an assessment. I do know part of the formula involves what similar properties in the area are selling for.

I'm not sure how old you are, but call your state office to find out if there is a senior freeze. IF you're a certain age & make a certain income, you can have your property values frozen from future increases. If you're disabled, you might be able to get a disability assessment level, which also freezes the prop value.

Since the locals are giving you the runaround, you might want to call your state offices for info.

I've never heard of alludial title though

top topics

join