It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban Copy and Paste.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I've noticed myself when feeling lazy that I copy and past quite often but since the issue of copyright infringements have reached a new level, ATS should immediately stop any copying of information from any source except those that ATS will allow.

ATS should block all MSM outlets that are not affiliated in someway to ATS,
within 12 months ATS could have set the standard.
we do not need links or quotes from the MSM.

Copying and Pasting can take away a part of your cognitive process and function to best say what you really feel, It's time for us to express OURSELVES and to add more to the mass of original content we are blessed with here on ATS.

All the Best....

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I think ATS should ban news taken from Yahoo! or MSNBC, or whatever...
Seems that new members are eager to copy and paste any headline they find.

Conspiracy or not...

I especially like the threads about celebrities, or the ones that are obviously composed by a teenager.

Oh well, I guess I can't have everything I want.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Now lets not be Ageist

Yes there is no reason to publish or post any link or information from MSM, there are many blogger out there and here on ATS that deserve more attention and would be a far greater source.

I'm sure if ATS set the standard more would follow and the MSM would come back begging sites like this to direct traffic their way..

At a reasonable price of course

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
In video games, I just HATE it when someone makes a mod or expansion for the game, and TAKES content OUT for some reason or another. I just hate that crap.

Expansions and mods are suppose to ADD more new features/content rather than Take it out!

Same goes here. Why the hell do you want to take away features like that?

Less features = More suck.
Essentially.

So I am against removing copy paste.

Rather, we should be adding more features,options,and abilities.

Taking things away makes things suck. Adding things makes thing cooler.

My basic philosophy of life.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
If you are referring to a source, it's silly not at least to post the link. Besides I've seen time and time again, where a whole thread has been based around a misreading of the source contents. We need to be able to check it out.
But I agree about not copying and pasting text. On another site I go to, one user just regurgitates vast tracts of text - mostly without even a comment.
It's lazy at best, stupid at worst.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by starchild10]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Without copy and paste, or quoting "MSM". How can you verify your sources or provide citations?

I could partially agree... If we only allow official governmental websites, and things of that nature.

For instance if you're providing quotes or citations on law. Then you can only provide sources from say Cornell LII, USC, etc.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by seventytwo

I just learned how to copy and paste a few
months ago,now what?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Banning copy and paste is not really what you're describing. No one should be pasting massive amounts of material that someone else put together on ATS anyway. That's in the TAC.

Banning links to news, alternative news, and research and watchdog-type sites would make this place virtually worthless. This is what we discuss, and we copy EXCERPTS to start a discussion or use a research site to explain or corroborate information.

I would not be unhappy to never see a link to or material quoted from most BLOGS again. I might even go so far as to say all blogs. They're usually worthless tripe anyway and have to be sourced and researched and independently fact-checked anyway to even be taken halfway seriously.

Blogs are usually someone else's opinion predigested for you, which is not what this place is really about to me.

[edit on 8/1/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Just avoid MSN outlets that's all, we don't need links to these sites we all know whats going on in the MSM.

People are being sued why take a chance? I would ban members from posting these sources.

you can easily avoid these outlets and collect the information elsewhere.

@ muzzleflash.

If there isn't a ban or some change in policy regarding copyright issues then places like ATS will not last long.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mryanbrown

You can provide the information without Knobs and buttons, just give the source and the directions.

Over time ATS will allow more copy/paste but only to sources that are legally available: BBC, Bloggers, Youtube etc.....

The rules are changing and ATS needs to protect itself..

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I just learned how to copy and paste a few
months ago,now what?

Sorry Man

It wouldn't be a permanent solution and it will improve your time here

Obviously this is just my opinion...

all the best.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Lucidity, in a way you are a blogger yourself, you produce information in the same way.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

ATS should block all MSM outlets that are not affiliated in someway to ATS...

So you are advocating censoring the free press? Who gets to decide what the MSM is? Is "The Drudge Report" MSM? "The Huffington Post?" Should we allow PRESSTV but not Fox News? And how do we respond or criticize what we consider to be inaccuracies or false statements if we cannot quote the original statement verbatim?

I'm all for reducing the amount of thoughtless "cut and paste" arguments. Often people will post lengthy blocks of text from an "authoritative" site that they clearly have not read or understood. I would much prefer someone state their case in their own words, them link to a source that supports their statement.

I do feel, and I'm sure there will be violent disagreement over this, that links to Youtube videos should be banned, unless the video itself is the topic of the OP. (Eg: "UFO over Niagara Falls," "Senator X caught off-guard," etc.) Nothing is more frustrating than to have a thread derailed by someone posting a long string of irrelevant videos without making a coherent case.

Just my two cents.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Seventytwo

Exactly my point. We research, fact-check, digest, and then present and/or theorize here. No sense in layering or basing our work on other predigested information, which we would have to fact-check anyway.

It's pretty annoying to have someone base a presentation or theory on a blog they haven't even bothered to fact check or research themselves and present it here as if it was. Makes extra work for everybody.

And no, I don't base my information on someone else's blog. What I present here are either facts or information as close to fact and the actual source as possible. Then I consider the source and bias and further attempt to analyze or dissect or substantiate it using other sources. Then add an opinion or theory or perspective clearly stated as such, with assumptions and disclaimers.

[edit on 8/1/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mryanbrown
I could partially agree... If we only allow official governmental websites, and things of that nature.

What a glam blam and sham!! Only government official websites !! No more wikileaks, no more truth from alternative media just take the gospel from government. No thanks, government sources are the last in line to be taken as truth along the lines of Fox News.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
well i have loads of material written by very intellectual authors...i will copy and paste reference and name the source.

i have cia documents fbi documents congressional hearings.

so just to type it out my self to point out some fact would be more plageristic.

yes i do agree that just grabbing youtube vids which seems to be the most common thing now...sad when youtube becomes the only source of misleading information.

now grabbing msm and putting an analytical twist on it would seem quite good to me.

all information comes from outsourcing and researching.

now when i write in my own words or my own opinion...the first words that come out of most peoples typing on here is.....(say it with me now)

PROVE IT

so i think banning copying and pasting would not be the solution.

maybe cause a few use it for everything they put out does not mean the masses are doing it.

give people the chance to think for themselves.....

we know when someone is just pasting crap...but naming and showing info and quoting the source to back up an argument i see as perfectly acceptable.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I think what I meant was that I hate when people just take a headline and post it on ATS.

A non-conspiracy headline. Meaning, just plain news.
Earthquakes, floods, you know...run of the mill headlines from the MSM.

This is a conspiracy site, not a news site.
There is a massive difference.

Oh yeah that and:

Plagiarism

If you are quoting someone, you need to use the right bbc code.
There's alot of people in here that just don't pay attention to the rules and decorum of a site like this.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Ban copy and paste?
Well often the CP in the OP is what defines the thread.
Often I find the critical part of a reference is a paragraph or two, and most people don't even read the whole thread let alone a whole link...
So I feel we need some CP, but not too much...

I think that ATS, and the mods are doing a decent balanced job...

Without references the propagandists would have a field day.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Lets ban ATS users, so that way we're sure there is no copyright violation

At the same time we can ban free speech and non authorized thinking

Wait no, its already made anyways

ATS is now some sort of Appaling Total Stupidity

I can tell you, once copy /paste banned, ATS gonna turn into some dull and flat forum due to one fact....there is not enought smart peoples here to write some good articles

Anyways its already a S&F circle jerk club for ATS flattery ego contest

Deny ignorance they say....what a bunch of BS

[edit on 1-8-2010 by OTTOKARMA]

[edit on 1-8-2010 by OTTOKARMA]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm all in favor of ATS posters respecting ATS enough to not do gratuitous copy and paste. I've read somewhere that some content outlets are planning to stop producing content and instead stay rich merely by suing content copiers. I'd hate to see ATS caught in that trap, and loose money.

On the other hand: see this post: www.abovetopsecret.com...
I had copied relevant chapters from public domain treaties with relevant phrases bolded for emphasis in order to build the logical case I was making. By later, after the edit button was gone, having it automatically cut down by some ATS mechanism, my logical case was broken.

If copy/paste is eliminated all we'd be left with is people linking to articles they had written somewhere else and saying "look at what I wrote here on a site that has no copy/paste restriction." That would make ATS rather lame in my opinion.

My vote: Yes on user self control, no on ban.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by pthena]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join