It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Carlin: The Truest Dialogue Ever Recorded

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Honestly, I like Bill Hicks more than Carlin. On google, you can actually find at least two of his specials in their entirety:

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

Also, you might like David Cross. He's no where near as good as Hicks or Carlin, but he sometimes makes good points and he can be pretty funny. I have a friend who really likes Doug Stanhope and has tried to get me into him. Stanhope makes good points as well, but it seems he doesn't bother to much with trying to make what he's saying funny.

Edit: While I like both of those Hicks specials, I think his best stuff is on his album "Rant in E-Minor." I think that's the one where he refers to humanity as "a virus with shoes."

[edit on 7/31/2010 by SaulGoodman]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

Thanks SaulGoodman (Illuminatus Trilogy?), and thanks to everyone else who has contributed. Good to see that these people had such an impact on you.

Again just to make clear, I honestly don't think these guys are very well known over in the UK! The general humour over here has a different tact, I don't think these guys would have even sprouted if they started their careers over here.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I have always posted his videos on here when I need a good reference to see how this world works. He truly saw what nobody cares to listen and just believe what their politicians states as 'good'. He was right also that the corporations are the ones that run this country. If there was no constitution, then it would be worse. Just look at the 50's during segregation and make it ten times worse. Some companies still disregard the constitution saying it is only for government buildings and such. This country is sad and it is falling apart.

I still say watch in a few years Carlin's videos will be banned because of its content.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

I think you have jsut touched on a good point there. Due to the digital revolution, how easy would it be to wipe any media that was deemed inappropriate?

It reminds me of Orwells 1984, with the Ministry of Truth, who change the news to whatever they want it read. It is a lot easier to do on the internet, thats why I love books!

I have started trying to collect antiquarian books (slightly off topic, sorry!). Short of someone burning my home down to the ground, I have a place to turn to for my philosophies etc.

Thanks for contributing mate, I gotta say I have loved the videos people have posted, and some of the signatures and info of the posters on this thread! The Karma stepping on the Dogma cracked me up!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by carlitomoore
reply to post by SaulGoodman

Thanks SaulGoodman (Illuminatus Trilogy?), and thanks to everyone else who has contributed. Good to see that these people had such an impact on you.

Again just to make clear, I honestly don't think these guys are very well known over in the UK! The general humour over here has a different tact, I don't think these guys would have even sprouted if they started their careers over here.

Hey, you got it! My name is kind of a triple reference: Illuminatus! Trilogy (I was originally thinking Harry Coin, but then I remembered some more things about the character), a character with the same name from the great show Breaking Bad and it also sounds like the phrase "S'all good, man."

I've always heard stand up comedy in the UK was different than the US. Despite that, Hicks had quite a bit of success in the UK. At least one of his albums and one of his specials were recorded over there. Generally, he seemed to like their audiences a lot more than American audiences. Too bad he didn't live to see the rise of alternative comedy.

[edit on 7/31/2010 by SaulGoodman]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Surprised no one else has done this yet, maybe too obvious?

One of my favourite movies ever, the one that introduced me to Lenny Bruce...

WARNING: Profanity - profanity that all of a sudden makes a lot of sense..

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

I definitely thought about it....
!

Was afraid Bruce was too coarse.....

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
For some reason I was thinking of Lenny Bruce the other day and how I needed to check him out, see what he was all about, as I had never heard him before. Problem solved, eh? Interesting how that worked.

I also find it interesting that our friends across the pond have little clue to Carlin and his works. You guys should check out his awesome acting chops in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure(slight sarcasm there). Rufus is cool, for sure.

Also great stuff from Bill Hicks, taken too soon but always relevant. Love the evolution clip.

I've also been thinking of going in the wayback machine and checking out some Kinison. I remember him a little but not enough. I remember him as edgy but was he really saying anything? I heard some of him on The History Of Howard Stern but that's not his comedy and I cannot remember any of it. Well, that stupid music video for Wild Thing I remember and that's sad.

I'm getting old and losing bits of my past. Ugh.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

As a Christian I agree with a lot of what you are saying. However what I liked about Carlin's comedy bit on religion is that he clearly did go through the process that a lot of us go through and found the humor in it and was articulate enough to convey that humor to us. He came to a different conclusion than you and I and other believers did. Such is the gift of free will. I'll leave it to God to judge Carlin's decisions. I have judged his humor and found it excellent.

I had forgotten he was in the Bill and Ted movie. I must be getting old too. I'll have to dig through and see if I have it on DVD. Thanks to everyone for posting about the other comics. I've often appreciated British humor and will enjoy checking these other guys out. It's been awhile since I listened to any stand up comedy.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I just want to say thank you for everyone sharing these videos! I was feeling a little worse for wear yesterday so managed to get through alot of them. Usualy I always intend to go back and watch them and never do, but I found them great!

Glad to say that I have got four Carlin HBO specials coming my way now, Complaints & Greivances, You are all Diseased, Its Bad For Ya & Life is worth Living.

I realise these are all his newest ones, if I like them as much as I think I will I'll work further back, then start on the Hicks stuff!

I can't remember him being in Bill & Ted either, but saying that I wouldn't have known who I was watching thats probably the reason.

SaulGoodman, Good choice on ditchin the Harry Coin idea! I only read Illuminatus! last year for the first time, and after struggling for the first few chapters it ended up being one of my favourite books of all time!

Although it is silly it is inteligent and the Authors made some great references and blurred reality and fiction no end. I think it will be one of those books I will read again for sure!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
George Carlin was one interesting individual. According to his shows, one would think that he did not believe in God. I think during the latter part of his life, he became a bit of a believer. In an interview where he was talking about his dead mother, he mentioned "God bless her soul" when reminiscing about his younger days. So, this leads me to believe that he started to become somewhat of a believer, but I could be over analyzing this in the wrong direction.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ReAlIzAtIoN

I have just watched 'Its Bad For Ya' which was one of his last shows, and he still seemed pretty pissed at God!

I find myself agreeing with an early poster. I agree with him 99% on Life and then only 1% after death. Although all the points he makes are logical and I do agree with him (if that makes sense) I feel all his gripes were with organised religeon and he never looked further than that.

[about swearing on the Bible in court]
George Carlin: Suppose they hand you a Bible that's upside down. Or backwards. Or both. Would that count?
[laughter]
George Carlin: Suppose the Bible they hand you is an old Bible, and half the pages are missing.
[laughter]
George Carlin: Suppose the only Bible they have is a Chinese bible, in an American court. Or a Braille bible, and you're not blind. Suppose they hand you an upside down, backwards Chinese Braille bible with half the pages missing.
[laughter]

[as a kid, with his friend]
George Carlin: He'd say "you swear on your mother's grave?" I'd say "yeah!"
[laughter]
George Carlin: 'Cause first of all, if my mother was alive, she wouldn't even have a grave. And even if she was dead, what's she going to do? Rise from the grave and come and haunt me?
[laughter]
George Carlin: Come and haunt me? All because I told a lie to an eight year old? Get #ing real!

Like the above quotes, people base their lives on ideals and rights which are totally human created in able to control other beings. But I see that as a Human problem, I do think their is more than just life and then nothing, where he seems to thin kthat this is the be all and end all. His piece on rights was brilliant, ending with this:

[George Carlin's final joke]
Personally, when it comes to rights, I think one of two things is true: I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all.
Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights - I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please.
But, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer #ing deal than that?
So the next time some asshole says to you, "I have a right to my opinion," you say, "Oh yeah? Well, I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion."
Then shoot the # and walk away!

Brillaint!
Watching the others soon!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I agree 100% with Carlin on politics I disagree with him 100 % on Religion.

Carlin grossly misrepresents God and Christian religion. He lumps all the bad things people do with religion into one basket and blames this on God.

He says he really tried to believe in God. He lied or listened to the wrong people and never learned what true faith in God is really about.

Anything can be misused. God gave Man free will. God is not to be blamed for everything man does in his name. God would hope that you had the intelligence enough to know these things and understand the difference. I guess as smart as George thought he was, he just didn't get it. On these matters George should have been a more critical thinker.

Actually if god is god then there is no free will. God can't HOPE that we have the intelligence enough to know right from wrong. If you believe in god then you believe god sees all and knows all, including what we are gonna do and when we are gonna do it. There is no free will in that at all. God can't hope we do something if he already knows the exact course everything is going to run. In fact if free will is true then god can't see the future and doesn't know #.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I have watched Its Bad for Ya, Complaints & Greivances & Life is Woth Losing now and they are all great! Ive gotta say that guy could perform! He was basically rapping for 10 minutes straight and didn't mess up once!

I have watched two full Bill Hicks videos now, Revelations & Totally Bill Hicks. Ive gotta say I like Carlin more. Hicks is a little too twisted and a little too drug orientated for me, though he is really fun with it.

Thought I'd share these videos with anyone else who happens to wander into this thread, they are the full specials:

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

*Edit to correct video embed. Also to add that HBO is brilliant!

[edit on 13-8-2010 by carlitomoore]

[edit on 13-8-2010 by carlitomoore]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

An autobiography on George Carlin came out a couple of years ago...I believe after he died, but i could be wrong. It's told from a hilarious point of view...his. Raw, gritty, funny and just relate-able.

you should read it...it's called Last Words...I loved it!

[edit on 16-8-2010 by PoePhotMusiArt]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by PoePhotMusiArt

Thanks for that! I think I have heard of it, If im not mistaken he was halfway through writing it when he died, so his agent decided to publish it as it was so that it didn't detract from what he was wanting to say.

Im sure its great, In fact I'm going to have a look for it tomorow. I have got one more special to watch and then I'm gonna try and get some more!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Bill Hicks was another amazing comic very very much like George Carlin and equally as funny. He died before he made it as big as Carlin Though.

Search for Bill Hicks....they thought a lot alike.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Love Carlin, sure he is keeping them laughing where ever he is.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join