It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Carlin: The Truest Dialogue Ever Recorded

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hi Guys,

This is maybe THE best youtube video I have seen in a long long while. I have to admit, I had never heard of George Carlin until someone posted this video to my facebook page and said that it keeps getting deleted off of the internet and to share it.

He is an instant star in my eyes, and anyone who knows the best place to find his material would be being a great help. I did a search, and couldn't see this video posted, so hopefully it will be new to a lot of people and I'm sure you will all love it!

*** Explicit Language ***

Thanks Alaskanman, I saw your response on a guide on how to embed videos.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
First of all, I can't believe you had never heard of George Carlin! Likely one of the greatest comics/philosophers to ever live. (Mark Twain, in my opinion is THE greatest! He and Carlin would have been great friends.)

While Carlin was right on with some of his ideas and attitudes, he was as much a part of the system as the rest of us. The difference is that he knew he was part of it. How was he part of it? I don't know how many tiimes he appeared on HBO, but I can guantee he got paid a butt load of money, and HBO just keeps making more money because they can rerun his specials whenever they choose.

But at least he was awake enough to know it.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I love this one

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

I, too, am surprised you hadn't heard of George Carlin before...he was a pretty big star, for decades.

Author a several books (comedy of course), and a career of comedy stand-up, concerts, spanning....at least four decades (maybe more).

Not an expert on the man, but certainly appreciated his humor...take a search for his famous "Seven words" routine. You'll know it, when you find it...I don't recommend you post it here, though

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Yeah, George was great. Really miss him. This bit you showed was from his dark period right before he died.

Terry Gross from NPR did a great show on him for Fresh Air available here: Remebering George Carlin

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Yeah this is a classic. I don't think it keeps getting deleted for nefarious reasons though. It's HBO and HBO is tenacious about copyright infringement. I know because someone in my family runs that department

George is great. Our entire family are huge fans...have all the vids and books. We were actually at this show (same family member). Compared to his other shows, this one was what I would classify as pretty blunt and depressing overall, not your typical Carlin. Looking back, I often think he knew his time and ours was short when he did this show.

I miss him a lot, damnit.

If you liked this Carlin, also check out Bill Hicks.

[edit on 7/30/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Carlin is awesome - I'm gonna assume you know Bill Hicks?

Here's a couple of British guys for you:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I love Carlin.

I miss that guy so much.

There's a lot of great material for you to discover my friend and the older he got the funnier and more political he was.

Here's one where he talks of the illusion we created, RIGHTS, and how some people say they are "God Given"

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Ahh, he was a treasure. I miss him. LOLing at the Religion one...and I'm a believer (in God, Jesus). In fact I'm laughing BECAUSE I'm a believer. He well and truly skewered the things that are absurd or seem absurd about religion. I don't agree with his ultimate conclusion but he stated his opinions well and with deft humor.

He certainly got the heart of the matter on how we are owned. I've seen these bits before on HBO and I'm glad they were reposted here. Thanks to both of you who embedded the clips. EDIT: More added since I started my post. Thanks to all!

Joe Pesci bless George Carlin! RIP, good man. RIP. (I wish he were one of the dead celebrities who has supposedly come back again, like Nelson Mandela, Billy Graham, and George Wendt allegedly have done!)

[edit on 30-7-2010 by SheeplFlavoredAgain]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

You have to remember that what happens in the US doesn't necessarily reach the rest of the world. Having lived in the UK all my life I too had never heard of Carlin until I found him on youtube a few years back.

He's up with there with Bill Hicks with regards to his social commentary IMHO.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

You may be interested in knowing that bit was in the show Life Is Worth Losing first aired in 2005. George Carlin died June 22, 2008. TARP was signed into law by George W Bush on October 3, 2008.

You can read the full transcript of The American Dream here.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I agree 100% with Carlin on politics I disagree with him 100 % on Religion.

Carlin grossly misrepresents God and Christian religion. He lumps all the bad things people do with religion into one basket and blames this on God.

He says he really tried to believe in God. He lied or listened to the wrong people and never learned what true faith in God is really about.

In every religion there will be people who abuse it and use it for their own gains. This is the same as Politics, and the same as Science. Those can be religions too. Does this mean that politics or science in itself is a bad thing? Of course not.

Anything can be misused. God gave Man free will. God is not to be blamed for everything man does in his name. God would hope that you had the intelligence enough to know these things and understand the difference. I guess as smart as George thought he was, he just didn't get it. On these matters George should have been a more critical thinker.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
If you like George you'll definitely like Bill Hicks too. Heres some of his stuff.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

I have to agree here. I think that about 90% of Britains wouldn't know who George Carlin was. You have to realise that just because they are big in America, they are not necessarily in the rest of the world.

Only in the last year did I find out about how many comedians had started out on Saturday Night Live. This has never aired in Britain as far as i understand, but from what I have seen online it is a great show. I loved Chris Farley in the movies and then found out after he was a famous comedian!

Thanks to the people who have recommended Bill Hicks, again I have never heard of him either!

I love intelligent stand-up, so much comedy now days is just mindless material, It makes you laugh, but it dosen't make you think.

Now this video made me think, and it was funny in a sort of synacal sort of way. Hope the rest of this material is this good!

Don't why the videos keep getting deleted though, is it simply copyright issues?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Carlin calls it like he sees it and he saw things very well. You better have plenty of time because there's DAYS of his material out there. Great video, may I link this thread with one I have currently running? It has relevance.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Bill Hicks was THE MAN!

A man truelly ahead of his time imho.

Here is one of my favorite bits Enjoy :

~meathead

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Please do! The more together the better. If anyone has some interesting back ground on these guys please share it. What environment led to them being so aware and having the creativity to share something down right disheartening and make it funny?

That is real artistic talent, and from what I gather fromyou guys they were very well respected. Were they ever smeared at any time? Did people oppose their material, because it is very 'out-there', I would have thought especially at the time, when everyone else was living 'The American Dream'.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Bill Hicks had a a bit of a spat about doing on of his " bits " on Late night with David Lettermen, you can read about it here :

videogum.com...

After Bills death, david called Bills mother and apologized and finally played the set on television.

Bill was a great performer and probably one of the most intelligent comedians I have ever heard, I only wish I could have seen him perform live.

Respectfully ,

~meathead

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I've mentioned the famous "seven words"....just watched, again.

Anyway, whilst rummaging in YouTubes, stumbled across this compilation homage, from 2008, upon his untimely death:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I am also shocked that someone has never heard of George Carlin. His career began in 60's, along with books, stand up comedy, he also had a sitcom on TV. The guy had pretty much done it all as far as his career choice. I was always a big fan, and I just loved his insight. Here are a few of my favorite videos.

Of course this is the bit that really put Carlin on the map

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join