It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Shelters Make a Comeback

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

There are signs that underground shelters, almost-forgotten relics of the Cold War era, are making a comeback. The Vivos network, which offers partial ownerships similar to a timeshare in underground shelter communities, is one of several ventures touting escape from a surface-level calamity. Radius Engineering in Terrell, Texas, has built underground shelters for more than three decades, and business has never been better, says Walton McCarthy, company president. The company sells fiberglass shelters that can accommodate 10 to 2,000 adults to live underground for one to five years with power, food, water and filtered air, McCarthy says. The shelters range from $400,000 to a $41 million facility Radius built and installed underground that is suitable for 750 people, McCarthy says. He declined to disclose the client or location of the shelter. "We've doubled sales every year for five years," he says.Other shelter manufacturers include Hardened Structures of Colorado and Utah Shelter Systems, which also report increased sales.

I find it interesting that they are on the rise. Its a shame the are not more affordable for the middle class. I would have one if I could afford it but I guess I am stuck taking my chances with an underground cave.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Great Find but, There is a Thread with this exact article already started earlier today with additional sourcing and 3 videos embedded.

DOOMSDAY SHELTERS MAKE A COMEBACK

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

See that is just an example of how popular these shelters are.
Second line reserved for something witty.

reply to post by calstorm

These shelters are only expensive if you have someone else build them for you.
Build your own and use a half dome structure, as the arch is the strongest bit of engineering offered by man or nature.
If you don't believe me, try to crush an egg with the palm of your hand.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by g146541]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Thanks I'll check that one out.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Just want to get the info out, hope between the two we reach many.

Again, Great Find - Star & Flag

t

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
It's because they are fun.

I mean who doesn't want an underground fort. You can throw pine cones at your friends when they "attack"

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
That's fine as long as people believe they are getting their monies worth of history. Hmmm. Museums anyone?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Yes, but the problem with these shelters they are not near or they are built and you need permits to do that in most areas.

I wish I would have started this bunker earlier.....huff huff huff....where am I going to put all this damn dirt......I know, pants...... walking in the yard.....that will work!

In the midwest they call them tornado cellars.

In the blueridge mountains they call them stills.

On the conspiracy site we call them SHTF shelters.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
One cheaper option if you have a patch of dirt is a shipping container buried with an entrance tunnel ,just dont tell your neighbours.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

If you bury one be sure to improve the roof ALOT as all of the weight on these containers is supported by the 4 corners and the roof is sheet metal, corrugated yes but still thin and flimsy.
I like concrete rebar reinfoced myuself.
Probably cheaper too.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Doesn't have to be too deep,and you can put up a little periscope to watch the minions working out how to get in.And dont forget the boxes of mac and cheese, they last for years.

new topics

top topics

join