It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Military Activity in Socal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
On July 27th 2010 at around 5pm, I was at work when I heard a sound I have not heard since Tustin Marine Corps Air Station closed down in 1999. The deep whup-whup of military helicopters. As I looked outside the window I observed 3 AH-1W Super Cobra helicopters passing overhead in a "V" formation. As I continued to watch, another group of 4, and another group of three passed overhead. The were heading south towards Camp Pendleton, where I am assuming they are stationed now.

While I don't think there is anything untoward going on, I did find it rather odd that these helicopters were flying overhead, something I haven't seen in 11 years.

I am curious if any of you current or ex-military might have an idea as to what they were doing so far north (Approximately 40-50 miles)

Some notes of interest that might help:
* I was not in-between or anywhere near a flight path from 29 Palms to Pendleton.
* I was not close or in-between any of the islands off the coast that they do their maneuvers.
* I was in the direct flight path between Pendleton and both El Toro Marine Base (decommissioned in 1999, sold to Heritage Fields LLC in 2005) and Tustin Marine Corps Air Station (Also Decommissioned in 1999)

If I am allowed to don my rarely-worn tin-foil hat for a moment, I have always thought something was strange about the closure of both bases. I can't explain why, but I have always felt that they were never "completely closed." I have no facts or evidence to back this up despite a bit of intuition, though.

[Edit]It doesn't help my curiosity that they were in what appeared to be a direct flight line from Tustin base to Pendleton...
[/Edit]

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

[Edited: Noted Above]

Mods I apologize if I placed this in the incorrect forum. This seemed like the logical place for it, but move as you deem necessary.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by Sararainmaker]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Sararainmaker

I live close to another closed but maintained military air field....and I've seen them as of recently....but....

On the news the same day I seen 3 helos, they came out and said that they busted a major illegal grower that day....northern Arkansas

Hope it has nuthing to do with Thursday ......and the AZ immigration thing...they do seem to be gearing up..sadly

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Though the thought had crossed my mind, my work is north of Pendleton enough that it would be well out of the way of any military exercise or display on the border... Though the idea of what is going on down there IS close enough to frighten me a bit.

It is interesting to learn of your recent activity near another closed base though. I am definitely going to keep my eyes and ears open for more activity.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It is always a good thing to keep your eyes open but I wouldn’t be concerned about it too much, I was stationed at FT Dix across from McGuire Air force Base in NJ. Dix was closed down years ago for basic training but still remains active for many things including a federal prison on grounds. Every so many years there is a flow of activity for bringing in supplies and what not. Just because it is so called closed, there is still and always will be some kind of activity for up keep, closed means they no longer do one particular job or training that they use to do there. I am down in Florida now and a couple of times a year a group of choppers will fly over and this has been going on for ever just most people never paid attention to it before. According to my inside informants there is nothing going on out of the normal some are in training and others are in for tune ups as it were and they often change up there flight paths to keep any would be terrorist guessing as to what they are doing. Also several choppers are assisting states with there efforts as most states are finding it hard to keep there local chopper division flying due to budget cuts. If I hear of anything that is not conspiracy related and more based in facts I will surely let the people on ATS know about it. God bless us all an keep America safe.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Good job keeping everyone connected to you with your eyes and ears open.

I wonder about the V formation with helos. Is that formation used for any particular operation? I see plenty of military choppers fly over my location, never very many at the same time, and never a V formation.

S & F.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I work at Miramar and have seen such formations lately. A few weeks ago there were about 35 helos doing flight ops between Miramar and Camp Pendelton. From what I was told, they were moving the helos from one base to another.
Also the V formation is a common formation when helos are traveling as a group.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo Ancient

Neo,

Do you have any idea why they would be so far north of Mirimar and Pendleton? I can't think of a base that is between here and either Mirimar or Pendleton, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks for your input!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

I wonder about the V formation with helos. Is that formation used for any particular operation? I see plenty of military choppers fly over my location, never very many at the same time, and never a V formation.

The type of helicopters that I saw were not a transport helicopter, but instead a battle ready, kick-enemy-butt helicopter. I used to see them flying in V formations all the time when the bases were open, along with the Blue Angels, who were at El Toro back in the day. I used to enjoy watching their precision flying quite a bit...

Still it's strange to see them again after so many years.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Good job keeping everyone connected to you with your eyes and ears open.

S & F.

Helo formations almost always fly in V formation, especially in the most common 3 ship formation. That is pretty standard practice amongst all NATO nations.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sararainmaker

The type of helicopters that I saw were not a transport helicopter, but instead a battle ready, kick-enemy-butt helicopter. I used to see them flying in V formations all the time when the bases were open, along with the Blue Angels, who were at El Toro back in the day. I used to enjoy watching their precision flying quite a bit...

Still it's strange to see them again after so many years.

When you say battle ready, were you able to spot a weapons load out on the Whiskey Cobras? Could you spot any TOW missiles or perhaps Hell Fires which are less common on the Cobra. Sidewinders? Could you spot anything such as that? If so, that would raise interest.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Compass_Call

Sorry, perhaps I used the wrong term.

I couldn't see them clearly enough for that, I was looking at them in a general west direction and the sun, being above and behind them made it difficult to see any weapons on their crafts... I was able to see shape and a general depth that gave me the type of helicopter that it was.

I should have said a fighter-style helicopter...
...Still they look pretty kick-butt, I wouldn't want to take the chance that they weren't battle ready

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The Helicopters fly in and out of the Joint Forces Base at Los Alamitos, as do various Fighter and Transport assets. I see Blackhawks/Seahawks doing pattern work there several times a week.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by EBJet
The Helicopters fly in and out of the Joint Forces Base at Los Alamitos, as do various Fighter and Transport assets. I see Blackhawks/Seahawks doing pattern work there several times a week.

NAS Point Magu is also just north of LA.
2nd.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I work in downtown LA in a highrise building, very high up. I see military helicopters almost on a daily basis. as a matter of fact, for almost a year, choppers would fly north very low over the 110 freeway from the south, through downtown at nearly the same time every day. a few years ago, several landed at the LAPD training center at the old Ambassador Hotel.
I don't think it means much.

top topics

join