It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 months in jail for broken gun

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This guy gets 30 months, and Dick Cheney shot his friend in the face and walks free as a bird.

Some justice system we have.

SM2

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212
reply to post by SM2

ok i stand corrected
i have only ever shot the old m16- a1? model and it had some muzzle jump
but i read afew years ago they were going to stop making full autos.
not saying it's true i just read it somewhere
personally i believe unless you are at war you don't need full auto unless you are a collecter.
as for his gun malfunctioning i find it hard to believe- i bet he worked on it to get it to shoot like that.
my ak-47 is only semi but for about $5000 i can get a new spring to make it full auto-but what i need that for
i still love the garand by the way

well the A1 was fully auto or semi only, that was introduced with some improvements over the original which had a fouling issue, carbon build up from using the wrong type of ammo caused build up on the feed ramps and barrels causing misfires, so they improved it with a chrome lined barrel and bolt and introduced the forward assist, you push the forward assist and it rams the cartridge into the chamber when its fouled. I do agree with you that full auto is pretty useless except for a collector or in war, then it only has limited uses. Suppressing fire is about it. An ar15 (or m16 or m4 for that matter all the same gun basically), well any semi auto can malfunction easily and slip into a full auto situation. I have seen it happen even on a ruger 10/22 I have had it personally happen on my SKS. The only difference between the military issue m16 and variants and the civilian AR and variants is nothing more then the sear. Some even have the full auto bolt carrier group as there is not much different except the gas key. If the sear were to wear, break or get some "slop" in it, it could easily fire a three round burst. Heat could also cause this, as the sear heats up, it gets a little more flex in it, which would cause it to not engage properly, in effect causing it to temporary discharge as a full auto. As far as the $5000 for a spring, you can do the same thing for about 75 cents if you have some knowledge, wont be legal, but it can be done.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SM2

i had a lee enfield mark 4 and had a broken sear in it and one time as soon as i closed the bolt it just went off- thank god noone was around. i had it repaiered(supposedly) so i took it out deer hunting and tried 2 shots which never went off but had a tiny dent on the primer- i guess the spring in it was bad also and not fixed
and just how do i replace the cable spring in my ak-47 to make it fullauto
i tried tying the the hammer block back once but i guess the spring wasn't strong enough to make it cycle

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
30 months wow, it was 30 days for the guy who molested my sister in law because he cried and said sorry.

Minor crimes or accidents lets lock them away and throw away the key, murders rapists and child abusers lets complain about how it cost to much to keep them locked up and give them minor sentences. Gawd I love amerika.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

i agree- our justice system is f'ed up.
it costs about $150000 a year to keep a person in jail-some people need toto just be put on island somewhere and left to fend for themselves- but unfortuanetly the liberals will scream that is against human rights

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

Minor crimes or accidents lets lock them away and throw away the key, murders rapists and child abusers lets complain about how it cost to much to keep them locked up and give them minor sentences. Gawd I love amerika.

It's all about the evil gun. As soon as there's an evil gun involved all bets are off with this system and most systems across the world.

That kid who stole several airplanes and cars and boats and robbed several shops etc...

When he got caught they found a gun on him. That's his most serious charge right now.

Spend several years Grand Theft Auto-ing your way across the hemisphere and you get a slap on the wrist. Have a gun on you and you get the chair.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

hey bud- i agree with you.
it's not the gun that is evil it isthe person behind it.
i have never seen nor heard of a gun going off if not held by a person or in a fire. and having been a fireman that is really scary. go into a burning building sometime when 30/06 shells start going off- you will # your pants! i had one hit my helmet and crack the mask of my scba- lucky on that one.
but back on topic i still find it strange the gun malfuctioned to cause this with no reason. i'm not a gunsmith but am knowlgble enough to agree that maybe something was wrong with the gun. what kind of gun was it?don't have enough details to make a judgment
but it does sound to me like he modifed it

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfoot1212

It was an AR15.

While the friend was shooting it he moved the safety switch to a point beyond the Fire position. The rifle fired a couple of short bursts and jammed. Someone at or near the club called the police to complain about machinegun fire. The police notified the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) and David Olofson was subsequently charged and convicted of illegally transferring a machinegun.

This is the kicker here:

Neither Olofson nor his friend was charged with possession of an unregistered machinegun or with illegally manufacturing, modifying, or otherwise making a machinegun. Obviously ATF did not believe they could convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Olofson or his friend had intentionally altered the rifle to fire full-auto so they prosecuted on the easier charge of transferring.

Olofson's Troubles

SM2

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I would have to ask, it may be a silly question though. Would he not have to legally first posses an illegal machine gun before he could transfer said illegal machine gun? So, wouldnt the fact that the ATF declines to charge with possesion of an illegal machine gun be somewhat of a defense to the transfer charge? Or is that just too logical for the justice system?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

ok thanks for clearing that up for me.
and to sm2 our legal system is not logicaland hasn't been for a long time.
the country is broke so they are looking for every tiny thing they can to make money.
my state-pa-is broke and i can tell you right now the smallest infraction you will get a fine and they put up "dui" checkpoints all over the place but when you stop they go over your vehicle looking for anything to fine you for. not just dui.we are definitely becoming a police state

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212
reply to post by SM2

and just how do i replace the cable spring in my ak-47 to make it fullauto
i tried tying the the hammer block back once but i guess the spring wasn't strong enough to make it cycle

Careful man...youre playing with fire there...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join