It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Oil Spill - Kalamazoo River

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It just keeps happening!

Link has full story and also links to images.

www.lansingstatejournal.com...

LANSING - A Michigan agency said the Kalamazoo River oil spill likely will not reach Lake Michigan.
Mary Dettloff, spokeswoman for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment, said today that crews will attempt to corral the spill near Morrow Lake, which is a dam pond on the Kalamazoo River located immediately east of the city of Kalamazoo.
Enbridge Energy Partners, the company taking responsibility for the spill, initially estimated that 840,000 gallons of crude oil were spilled into the Talmadge Creek near the city of Marshall. But Congressman Mark Schauer (D-Battle Creek) said in a conference call today that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency now estimates one million gallons were spilled.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I saw that on the news, it just seems to be spilling out all over the place. With China's pipeline blowing up, and a ship in Canada (couple of weeks ago) running aground, well heads being run into by tugboats, is everyone running these things just careless, or clumsy? Or just having a real run of bad luck?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
i'm gonna make it a little easier on these guys, and all of you should too. you have no idea how bad these oil companies have it! it sure isn't easy to destroy the planet.. i say we all go outside and dump oil in our yards, or any dangerous chemicals you may have lying around if oil is unavailable. we have a duty to our country, no, to the world. GO BP!!!! GO AMERICA!!!!!! #1!!!!!!!!!

[EDITED FOR WEIRDNESS]

[edit on 27-7-2010 by 2weird2live2rare2die]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
That's 4 spills so far. 2 in the GOM, 1 in China, and now this one in Michigan. I spent about 6 years in my teens in Western Michigan. It is an awesome state for outdoor activities and has many beautiful 'CLEAR' fast flowing rivers that we canoed, swam, and even fished in. I live in Florida now, but I will never forget Michigan. This oil spill in a river is terrible. And the fact oil spills keep happening is IMO something that is happening to give Obama's green energy a push. I can envision more and more regulation on oil companies until they are regulated into operating in foreign lands. Obama did say according to his plan, "energy prices would necessairly sky rocket". Well, he knows there has to be a willingness among the people to support these regulations for them to be accepted and passed into law. So, I see a conspiracy here. A conspiracy to motivate the public to back some draconian regulations on the oil and energy companies in general that will drive prices through the roof!

edit for lack of a spelling checker...hint

[edit on 27/7/10 by spirit_horse]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
it's a good thing no one cares about Michigan, or this would be very distressing news.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Ya I bet it wont hit Lake Michigan.

More BS from MSM

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 2weird2live2rare2die

Why do you say no one cares about Michigan? I have lot of family up there and I care about it. It really is mostly woods, natural lands, and farms. With the exception of Detroit and Grand Rapids, the only large cities, it is mostly small towns and beautiful natural country.

I love the state myself for that reason. So, I don't know why you say "no one cares about Michigan"?

The economy sux, but if you want to bug out, there is a place to do it. We had hunters in the NW that dissapeared and were never seen again due to the hundreds of square miles of forrest land. And it is full of wild and game animals. I am sure they care as well!

[edit on 27/7/10 by spirit_horse]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I am looking at a pile of old oil, paint, garden sprays sitting in my garage... Running out now to dump them in the street.

JUST KIDDING!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
What I just heard on local news, I live on the east side of Michigan, is that the rupture was near a shut off, so some of the oil has been stopped, but the other side is still oozing oil???

Here is another account, updated minutes ago:
www.mlive.com...

“I just came from Fort Custer and you can smell it now,” Kalamazoo County Undersheriff Pali Matyas said. “... It’s all rolling downhill and there are a lot of complications.”

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Someone said that this was going to be a really bad summer.

I believe that now.

And we still have hurricanes that will be coming.

Batten down the hatches folks!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
i'm gonna make it a little easier on these guys, and all of you should too. you have no idea how bad these oil companies have it! it sure isn't easy to destroy the planet.. i say we all go outside and dump oil in our yards, or any dangerous chemicals you may have lying around if oil is unavailable. we have a duty to our country, no, to the world. GO BP!!!! GO AMERICA!!!!!! #1!!!!!!!!!

[EDITED FOR WEIRDNESS]

It was weirder?

Sorry, savin all my oil and gas products, up here in Canada we pay a phenomenal price for that stuff........and there they go, just throwing it around like in comes from the ground or somethin :shk:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

You don't know how much I appreciate your sense of humor. I suddenly don't feel a need to scream. I thank you. My neighbors thank you & the dogs want to share one of their treats with you.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

Don't forget the one in Oregon about a month ago. That makes at least 5 we know of, unless of course we want to discuss the two other 'leaks' seldom mentioned associated with Deepwater.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This is terrible, BP, some idiot tug boat driver, and now another one
Hope this stays out of the lake.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

2weird2live2rare2die

Just to let you know that I have emptied my petrol / gas tank all over the nearest highway along with some unwanted oil based products..... Hopefully that will cause a multiple crash and lead to yet more pollution and chemical leaks into our environment.... This is easy peasy, no wonder the oil companies are so GOOD at spilling or leaking the stuff everywhere....

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

(just in case - this is irony...... you never know who's reading this !!)

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Let the oil spill into Lake Michigan. A nice big oil slick just might be the thing to keep that nasty Asian carp in the Mississippi. Maybe it will kill off the zebra mussels too. It will probably make a nice hull coating for all those boats on the lake.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I live right here in GrandRapids Michigan this is ridiculous. I hope it does not make it to the lake

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I live in Battle Creek, Mi, and a lot of us are feeling kind of shafted by the MSM. The sentiment is that, if this had happened in a state that hasn't been written off, we'd be getting a lot more coverage. Some early estimates are that this is perhaps the largest oil spill in the history of the Midwest USA, and perhaps 1/10 as large as Exxon Valdez (which happened in open waters, not in a small river surrounded by both urban and agricultural communities).

We can smell the oil throughout most of the city, and the big concern is that this WILL eventually contaminate our water supply. There's just no way to prevent that at this point.

The local newspaper has a map of the oil spread:

www.battlecreekenquirer.com.../20100727/NEWS0102/307270005

Local police were notified of the oil scent a whopping 13 hours before anybody did anything to stop the spill.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by theWCH]

top topics

join