It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Mixed Martial Arts Fans Here?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

Just watched the highlights and yea it looked like a war! 8 consecutive wins and some crazy kicks, yes He'll be one to watch. That kick was crazy and it's a good thing Lytle blocked it. I couldn't believe he got out of 3 guillotines! I think he could lose the goody trial arrow though.

spec
ETA: Oh yea, cartwheel is dangerous yo! Can u imagine using that on the street unexpectedly! Shabamm!
edit on 27-2-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

What did you guys think of the Lytle/Ebersole fight???

I enjoyed Ebersole, would like to see him fight again soon.

I wonder why Elvis Sinosic was not on the Aussie card

Remember he got injured while sparring the last time they were in Australia and was not able to fight in front of his home crowd.

edit on 27-2-2011 by Better Mouse Trap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Gracie Breakdown of Penn v Fitch

A lot of folks don't fully realize all the technical stuff that goes on in an MMA fight. To many people think it's just a brawl and don't realize how highly skilled these guys are. The young Gracie brothers Ryron and Rener break down the BJJ in the fights and they do an awesome job. If more fans could see this they would appreciate more what these guys put into learning their craft and see what a chess game it really is. I wish UFC would show these or have these guys live commentating on some of this. Check it out you won't be disappointed

www.youtube.com...

edit on 1-3-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
They should bring back Hendo to destroy Bisping again, I thought nearly getting beheaded would've humbled the guy a bit. All in all it was a good night of fights, and I still think Fitch should get another title shot.Yeah it was ruled a draw (I woulda gave it to Fitch) but dudes what like 14-1-1 in the UFC.Only loss was to GSP who might be the best pound for pound fighter in the world, and yeah it was very one-sided but if MMA is to continue to progress as a sport he has to get a title shot with that kind of run against good competition.It can't matter what his style is, if some find it boring T.S. when all you do is win (and questionable draw) give the man another shot.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSouszay

I had it 29-28 BJ. BJ won rounds 1-2 and Fitch won round 3 but never had BJ in danger of being finished. So I had round 3 10-9 Fitch. Two judges scored it 10-8 Fitch in the 3rd which caused the draw otherwise it would have went to BJ.

Fitch dominated the 3rd definitely but there is no way that was a 10-8 round. 10-8 rounds are where the guy is nearly out and just acting on instinct if at all. BJ took some shots but no real damage and was actively defending etc. He was just tired from pushing the huge Fitch around. No other WW contender has done to Fitch what BJ did to him in the first 2 and BJ is a lightweight.

PS there is talk of A Sonnen Bisping match up. Chael would destroy him verbally and physically. If Bisping thought Jorge was talking trash wait till Chael lays into him, holy smokes...
edit on 1-3-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Strikeforce tonight on Showtime.

Main Bouts (Televised on Showtime)

-Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante vs. Dan Henderson
-Marloes Coenen vs. Liz Carmouche
-Tim Kennedy vs. Melvin Manhoef
-Billy Evangelista vs. Jorge Masvidal

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Better Mouse Trap

It's just starting were I'm at on showtime.

I'll put up my two predictions for two of the fights and got to watch the show.

Tim Kennedy vs. Melvin Manhoef: Manhoef is good on his feat, and if he does not ko kennedy and fast it will be over for him. And since he sucks on the ground. My prediction is Kennedy by submission or a grind fest on the ground.

Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante vs. Dan Henderson: Got to go with hendo, just because feijao does not have a clear advantage anywhere except in the clinch. Hendo by tko in the 3rd is my prediction.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Believe it or not,Mama likes MMA,I like
Lesnor.
Ah,the octagon,the sweating men in trunks...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
does MMA mean UFC?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

MMA is short for Mixed Martial Arts . The UFC is just the top organisation right now in the world for mma fights and fighters.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

What did you guys think of the Lytle/Ebersole fight???

Ah that fight from a week ago. When ebersole came into the cage with that shaved chest hair in the form of an arrow pointing at his chin. I remember thinking hmm should be interesting, at least lytle wont forget were to try punch him at, the dude has a huge arrow pointing right at the target.
and it would of been even better if he painted a bulls eye on his forehead as well, that really would of been funny as hell.

As to the fight, he messed with Lytles head with his antics a little, made lytle kind of question himself. Which is what Ebersoles game plan was, me thinks. It was an entertaining fight though, and the dude has been around, and he knows what he is doing, and has the skills to back up his antics. But, since there is always a but, I don't think his antics will work again if they have a rematch, or on his next opponent, but it would be interesting to see him fight again, the dude is entertaining.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
UFC 128 is coming up today soon, should be a good card and the main event has the possibility to be exiting.

Some fights that I look froward to on this card.

Shogun vs Jones: Oh man this could be a really exiting stand up fight. The way I see it going is that shogun will win by tko in the 4th round. I like "bones" Jones, but I just don't think his style or size and reach advantage will get the best of shogun. In fact I think shogun will take his legs out in the first couple of rounds via leg kicks, or at least that is what I would try to do. I think Jones will try to take it to the ground, were he has a clear advantage over shogun, with his wrestling. If he cant keep it in an outside fight were his reach is an advantage, I think shogun will eventually catch him especially if they start brawling.

Faber vs Wineland: Faber is way faster and more well rounded then his opponent, I think he can swarm wineland and eventually ko him.

Marquradt vs Miller: This is a do or die fight for Marquardt, and he is just better all around fighter then Miller, I see marquardt tko Miller in the 3rd.

Cro Cop vs Shaub: One of my favorite fighters is cro cop, and not only because his fights are exiting and usually end in kos by high kick. But if anybody has followed his career even from back when he fought in kick boxing, the dude is a hot and cold fighter, he usually goes through periods were he is ko'ing people left and right, and periods were he's getting beat and getting ko'd left and right, ever since he started his professional career at the age of 18 fighting in K1.

But no matter if he wins or losses his fights are always entertaining and the dude always keeps at it, win or lose, he always comes back for more. So i got to go with cro cop, he just has way more experience then Shaub, and if his head is in the right place, then its going to be a ko by high kick in the 3rd round.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Joe Rogan said it best, .... Jon Jones is the future of MMA.

... did anyone see the bisping fiasco on ufc 127 ?? .... that guy is such a baby back b #

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Jones really proved himself on this one. He hurt Shogun in the first round and he never fully recovered, he was fighting on pure instinct after that but could not get anything going. I am not sure who can take out Jones. I guess he is fighting Rashad next. I don't see Rashad taking him but Rashad was his trainign partner and seems to think he can. Also there is some sort of rift with him and Rashad over this so should e interesting.

I personally think Machida gives him the most problems with his speed and in and out style. But still don't see Machida beating him.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
In the shogun vs jones fight, it totally went wrong for shogun, I dont know what he was even thinking, and he fought Jones were Jones is the strongest, in the outside were his reach is a big factor, and got in the wrestling/take down game, I mean the dude has the longest reach in the ufc, even more so then the heavy weight fighters like Brock Lesner who has over 60 pounds on him, and with his frame and if he put on some muscle and would could be fighting at heavyweight, he still would have a reach advantage, much less at light heavyweight.

But anyways shogun didn't even throw one dam leg kick in the whole fight, and right off the bat he keeps trying to lunge punch at Jones, without no set up or anything, just straight lunge at him. He should of fought a counter attack fight and should of taken Jones legs out with leg kicks, for about 2 rounds or however long it takes to make Jones lose his punching power, and therefore kind of negate his reach advantage a little, then he could of tried the lunge punch he did, and once he is on the inside of Jones reach, then Jone's reach becomes a disadvantage because of his long arms, he needs that distance to be successful at striking with shogun, but still he can throw elbows at that range, but by then it would of been a whole different fight and in shoguns world.

One thing about the Jones vs Rashad fight that there making, is that Rashad is a counter fighter mostly, and he knows Jones fight style and how to negate it, and has the experience because they spar together, so he stands a good change in my opinion in this match up of beating Jones. And there ground game is really about equall, so I would think that Jones would want to keep this fight standing and utilize his reach and striking skills, but with rashad style it will be more difficult then if he fought a guy who comes straight at him, like shogun did. But we will see when the fight happens.

Oh man thinking on the matchups and the curse of holding the belt, this thing can just go on and on, and round and round. Imagine if Rasad beats Jones, then he fights machida again and loses again, then machida fights Shogun again and loses, and then Shogun who getts beat by Jones again in the future, round and round it goes.
Some times watching the title fights in mma is like the rock, paper, scissors game, every fighter has his weakness and strengths in different matchups.

And also getting to the top of the mountain is the easy part, staying and making your home on the top of that mountain is were it gets really hard. But the unpredictability of mma is what really makes me watch it, you never know how it will go down, I have seen some crazy and unpredictable ending's in fights, both kick boxing and boxing, but the craziest were in mma fights, were there are many more ways to loose.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I need to tell my story here..

I have UFC 2 on VHS, missed the first one.

I went to the UFC where Bas and Kevin Randelman were the main event in Alabama, my parents drove me through a tornado to be their on time for my birthday, no joke

Tickets were $20 then, as soon as you sat down you could get up and move closer to the cage, I met Wand that night.

Real cool guy, I knew him from some Vale Tudo stuff I had seen. I told him "good fight" and he was very appreciative. I wish I had a pic, this was before HD cell phones.

Tito was there acting like a idiot, walking around like he owned the place.

This was before Zuffa

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
To be continued....

Oh and it gets better, Dana flew me in to Vegas, Bruce Buffer gave me props, etc

No troll here, I will share my story on this forum

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I was glad to see Henderson get another win and Manhoef has got to work on his ground skills to be a more rounded opponent. One cannot make it on good stand-up and striking alone. Manhoef is exciting to watch though.

spec

reply to post by mamabeth

Welcome to the party mamabeth, make yourself comfortable and tell us what ya think sometime.

spec
edit on 22-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Hey there IB, yes he is certainly the future and at 21 we will see him for a long time. Guess he has not even peaked yet.
Yes, I concur, Bisbing is a punk, and imo does not belong amongst the MMA best these days.

spec

reply to post by hawkiye

Howdy hawkiye, yea Jones looked good and prepared whereas Shogun looked a little chunky and slow. Surely he prepared for this fight, but he seemed to start gassing early.
Rashad will have to get lucky, imo, with one of his looping strikes. Other than that, I don't know what else will happen. Perhaps a lot of mixing it up on the ground. Being friends and sparring partners make their fight a little interesting too, but when Rashad came into the ring, it looked as though a little animosity had already arisen. It was probably just a new attitude, but I bet Jones won't be holding back, as many friends who fight each other do.

Thanks for commenting,
spec

reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Hey hey gfw, always dig the detailed perspectives

I was wondering why the lack of leg blasts from Shogun too, and I think he was trying to avoid takedowns. That is the only thing I can think of.
The Rashad/Jones would be interesting and more competitive on the ground, but Jones' frame gives him the advantage down there too, especially with his elbow devastation!

So who will offer Jones the best fight in the future? Will Anderson go back up to 205 after coming down to 185 for GSP? I would be more excited to see Jones/Silva than Silva/GSP at this point.
I don't think Jones could get down to 185 healthily, do you? Maybe... I could see jones topping 205 for some heavy weight action, but if he gains muscle, he may lose some agility. He is so young, we don't know what all he will continue to bring to the sport, but excitement will always be there at least!

I look forward to Chael's return in all of this too, should keep things interesting.

Going out on a speculative limb here, but I almost think Jones may turn into a villain with an attitude before it's all over. I know he seems mature for his age, but I believe I see his ego growing pretty strong too, which helps a fighter, but also may create waves in negativity. 21 is young to get all that power, and i hope the confidence doesn't get the best of him.

Hey bmt, look forward to your story. So why/how did you get chosen to be flown in by Dana? UFC 2 huh? Man they have come a long way no? Love Bas...
Thanks for chiming in.

spec

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Shogun got hit early with a flying knee. I didn't think it hurt him as it didn't look like it landed well to me when I was watching the fight but someone posted a slow motion gif of it on an MMA board and he really got clocked with that snapping the head. Then they tied up and went to the ground and as Shogun was getting up he got hit with another knee and some shots. That is when he was wobbly. Shogun was in shape for the fight but taking knees and shots like that will take your stamina right out of you and that's why he was tired the rest of the fight and fighting on pure instinct. He had an opportunity to triangle Jones later but could not pull it off because he was tired and his head was in la la land. Otherwise he would have locked it up.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join