It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Mixed Martial Arts Fans Here?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa
reply to post by hawkiye

Don't like the way he acted to Rashad but honestly I don't see anyone beating that kid. Can't wait for Griffin to get back.

Don't know if you know the whole story but Rashad deserved it IMO and a lot more .

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Much more exciting as compared to the heavier weight classes, These guys just don't tired! They keep going!. Some guys actually look like midget and when you check their height they come up at 5'9-5'10, But I guess these guys are around 5'2.

As for Rashad and Bones, Need to catch up on the story. Don't know what insults were shared between the two although I did watch the interview with him and rampage.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Rampage vs Jones.

Ok watched the fight and it seemed like in the beginning when Jones came out on all fours like spiderman, he did that strategy before but not in quite that way, against strikers before were he goes in and wrestles them to the ground not to do any specific damage but to just mess with there heads in the stand up. And a guy like rampage who's weakness is jiu jitsu and wrestling, it will mess with his stand up because it will make him hesitant to really get in there and throw because of the possibility of getting taken down.

Rampage has good take down defense but once he is down on the ground its a different story. The rest was pure jon jones he just kept rampage guessing and always in reaction mode, once he is in reaction mode Jones just basically just dazzled him with all the different attacks, till he got him on the ground and it was game over then. It looked like rampage was lost and didn't know what to do in the last minute of the fight.

I guess rashad is next for jones, and really rashad is a counter fighter, and against a guy like jones he will be at a disadvantage. First his style though it might work good against other fighters I don't see him doing that against Jones. The guy is just to good in the stand up, plus that reach advantage will keep him at a distance and out of the way of any counter punches that rashad can throw.

Plus I don't see rashad wining on the ground against jones either, and he is not the hardest leg kicker, which I still think is the key on getting in on jones, if you can take away his legs then he is basically a standing target, and even if you cant it will slow him down, and give you openings on getting inside his reach and go headhunting.

The dude is good that's for sure, but he is not invincible and I see a couple of things that can be taken advantage of or doing that will give jones problems.
First: his the legs must go, batter his legs till he is limping around the ring. Even if you have to take a few shots to accomplish this it will be worth it in the later rounds.

Second: when he does his anderson silva impression don't let him get off first, and if he gets of first just back up because he then will wait till you come in and counter with some spiffy move or take down.

Third: fake a lot, as in fake a take down and go for a headkick, or fake a punch and go for a take down and that sort of thing. If you can keep him guessing or keep moving around it should throw him off a little. And rashad is always moving around in his fights so that should help.

Fourth: Try body shots the dude is long and tall, and though his arms get in the way if you can get a few good body shots in you can break a rib since most tall people have tall and long bones that break easier if hit in the right place then the more stocky fighters, or at least take the wind out of him with a few well placed body shots.

And though I really don't see rashad wining, in mma you just never know.

Koschek vs Hughes
Hughes is done, his game plan was working a little till he got tagged a few times, he should of tried to take Koschek down right then and there instead of continuing to try to outbox him. Hughes was never a striker no matter how much he wants to be, he should of stuck to what he does best, and that is wrestling and controlling dudes on the ground and pounding on them.

Gomi vs. Nate Diaz

This fight was total schooling by diaz, one thing about the Japanese fighters especially gomi is that they always swing into there punches, and always seem to go throw one or two punches, and never actually learn to keep your opponent at the end of your fists when you punch, basically staying in the pocket as its known in boxing. I'f you watch them they swing and move in, and once your to close you cant put the snap in your punches, and it messes up your timing a lot.

but they still scrap and try to keep swinging but once your timing is all over the place a dude like nick diaz or his brother will just take advantage of it, really in the fight Nate had with Rory MacDonald that was the way to beat a fighter like the diaz brothers, and from what i remembered Rory kept throwing the head kick which kept Diaz always in a defensive position most times, and it kept him out of the range of his punching.

Really in the upcoming fight with Nick diaz vs GSP it would be smart of GSP to try to do something of the same strategy that Rory MacDonald did against his little brother, because you cant argue against something that worked so well. And most likely he is watching that fight with interest because both Nate and nick are really pretty similar both on the ground and in the striking game. There basically mirror images of each-other, only though nick is better then his little brother.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Oh you must not have heard. Diaz will not be fighting GSP.

Diaz Talks Yanked UFC 137 Title Shot, Still Wants St. Pierre
www.sherdog.com...

No need to file a missing person report. Nick Diaz is alive, and he still wants to fight.

Unfortunately for Diaz, however, his opportunity at the UFC welterweight title now belongs to another.

Diaz allegedly no-showed his second-consecutive press conference on Wednesday, offering no explanation to UFC President Dana White for his absence. Not even Diaz's longtime trainer and manager Cesar Gracie could locate the reigning Strikeforce titleholder, prompting White to remove him from the UFC 137 main event against Georges St. Pierre and replace him with former WEC champion Carlos Condit.

Diaz responded to the UFC president's actions on Wednesday evening, posting a YouTube video to address the public. According to Diaz, he was returning to his hometown of Stockton, Calif., while shooting the video, as he had visited San Francisco earlier that day in an apparently unsuccessful attempt to make his flight to Las Vegas.

“The UFC wanted me to fight for the title against Georges St. Pierre, and now they're telling me that they're going to give the fight to Carlos Condit, which I think is ridiculous,” said Diaz. “Georges thinks it's a great idea, because Carlos Condit poses an even greater threat. So I guess that just leaves me out. It's funny. One second, I’m about to come into some money and do a little boxing...but now it looks like [the UFC gets] to save money, and I don't get paid, and I’m locked into a new contract. [There are] all these deal-makers making deals. All I know is I’m ready to fight.”

Diaz followed that statement by reiterating that he was still ready to challenge St. Pierre for the title, provided he still has a job, that is.

At Wednesday's press conference, White expressed uncertainty toward Diaz's future and acknowledged the possibility that the rangy southpaw could receive his walking papers in light of his unwillingness to promote the event.

While Diaz did not directly address White's comments, he did allude to the possibility of competing outside the Octagon. Prior to signing with the UFC, Diaz was rumored to square off in a pro boxing bout with former IBF super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy. According to Diaz, he's ready to scrap, one way or another.

Personally I think Dana is terrified that a Diaz brother would become champion. Especially Nick

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

Oh you must not have heard. Diaz will not be fighting GSP.

Dammit I am always late to the party.

It sucks about the diaz fight, would of made a good fight but I think sooner or later it will happen. Anyways the Carlos Condit fight should be interesting, but I got to go with GSP in that fight.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
TUF 14 episdoe 2:

The show looks to be a big disappointment with Mayhem the only entertaining aspect. The fighters are not as entertaining in this episode, one lacks talent and the other self esteem....Everything else is pretty cliche of passed seasons. This show just doesn't seem to keep me on my toes anymore and is pretty predictable, One look at the fighters and you can almost tell who's going to make it through to the finals. Not even looking forward to the next episode.

Oh and the average height of the bantamweights is like 5'3!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Greetings fight fans, first I like to say that I see Serizawa decided to get himself banned...Its a shame there are very few member on ats who appreciate the beauty and subtle art of punching and kicking a dude in the face. But oh well!

UFC 137 I almost forgot about it due to not having fighting on my mind as much as I used to lately and not being able to focus on things. But it was a good card, at least in the fights I seen so far from it.

The mirco "cro cop" vs roy "big country" nelson: fight just showed how mirco even though he is a warrior it seems like he is done, I don't like to use the phrase "you cant teach old dogs new tricks" but it's true in a lot of way's. It was a classic mirco fight and he fought as he always does....And that is the problem! with him, and all the older fighter, or the fighters who have been around for a while at least....

For instance the whole fight mirco was circling to the right and into roy's power punches, and if anybody ever watched any old fights of mirco you know he is a one sided fighter ie he only fights and throws punches and kicks from one side, the left side.

It's little things like that which usually change the whole fight, if mirco would change his fight patterns and way he strikes he could of ko'd Roy in the first round....But by now he has been around a long time and been in so many fights that he has become way to predictable and to set in his ways, and every fresh and new fighter that he go's up against knows what mirco is going to do. Basically he is to predictable....And all the things that joe rogan said during the commentary is right on.

He needs to use his jab, needs to move in new and unexpected ways, needs to use his knees and elbows like in muy thay, and he needs to be more aggressive in his striking. And all those things will tie into each-other for instance he starts using his jab, it will create more openings to be more aggressive in his striking and more importunity in his strikes. I could go on but whats the point.

Anyways I think mirco is done, and I wish him luck in his retirement. Oh got to give props to Roy he had a very impressive and manly beard, who knows it might even have played a part in his win tonight.

Denis Siver vs Donald Cerrone:

Wam bam thank you mam....It was a pretty short fight, and that switch kick is what started it and it was all over from there....Though I didn't even know Cerrone went down to that weight and it is a factor in his win as well I mean look at them even tough Siver is all buffed out Cerrone is way bigger naturally then him...And more importantly at least in this fight, his reach with his legs and hands is way longer.

Brandon Vera vs Elliot Marshall:

It was a pretty even fight, even though I think Vera is technically a better fighter and could of won that fight with ease. But I don't know whats up must be all those losses because he is not his usually cocky self, it seems like he is rethinking a lot in his approach on things. I remember when he first got on the scene and he was walking trough everyone, he even said he was going to be the first heavyweight and light heavy champion....But after a few hard fights and some losses latter....my how things changed. MMA is one of those sports were things have a habit of changing quickly and unexpectedly...Kind of like this fight tonight.

But what can I say elliot was the better fighter tonight in my opinion, that punch almost ko'd vera, but once it got to the ground I thought he was going to get rear naked chocked, and when he escaped the choke I thought he was going to get armbared, and when he escaped that and it was the end of the round I wanted a 4th round.

I do not think what Vera did was smart in fighting trough that armbar at the end and escaping it...Because like joe rogan said, now he has a broken arm, but a win is a win. The dude is a dam warrior but sometimes you just got to know what if it's worth it....I know a broken arm is not going to be a fun thing to deal with and it will set him back a long time.....I can justify the decision win he got, but then again not really he got beat down in the last round....It's really hard for me to say that he truly won the fight, because lets face it if there was another round, with that broken arm he would of gotten mangled by Elliot easily.

However you cant say that he didn't deserve the win. War Vera.

BJ Penn vs Nick Diaz:

After watching the weigh ins and there stare-down, I got to say there fight did not disappoint. I always liked diaz's scary face.

The first round Penn won it in my opinion, he got in Diaz's face and got the better of there exchanges.

The second round, it was all Diaz, I cant believer Penn got tired, but then agian yes...yes I can.

The third it was all diaz, really what else can you say now, I really want to see GSP beat him down. But in mma you just never know. Cant wait for the next fight.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Hey there fight fan friend, always good to hear your input! I only found out about GSP's knee yesterday! And the weigh in with Diaz and Penn, woah!
Man, I'm sorry to hear bout Serizawa too and I wonder if he got banned in the chatroom,, where SO MANY have disappeared! Must be a real test of ego in there at times.

Yes, Big Roy is a tough sob, tenacious and determined. I can tell he's been training hard and it looks like he lost 20 pounds or so. Cro cop looked good at first, quick and elusive, but Roy kept coming forward and just overwhelmed Mirko. Mirko was never the same after the Gonzoga KO, where Crocop broke his knee/ankle falling down knocked out. You can watch the replay and see his foot facing backwards as he fell...yikes!

Cerrone is tough, and I was impressed with his skills and improvements. Dangerous kicks for sure!

Penn and Diaz was as expected, a tough first round, but then BJ started gassing and the tri-athlete Diaz just beat him up after that. Nick took some good shots that may have knocked anyone else out, but he is a genuine fighter and in my book, will go down as one of the best ever in the sport! I am surprised Penn never improves his cardio, and he must think he doesn't need it maybe, but it has been the one thing that has worked against him over the years. Diaz just doesn't quit and has the most and accurate striking in the field, even more than Silva. He is just a well rounded dude with cardio, a great chin, awesome boxing skills(those body shots, OW!), and a warriors attitude.
Looks like Penn is done:

So I hear GSP wants to go down to 155!
This surprised me. It seems it would be easier to go up to 185 and challenge himself with better competition. I almost think he's avoiding the potential fight with Silva and/or Sonnen in the future. Maybe he wants to retire from this weight class with the belt. I think Diaz could take GSP and I hope they still fight.

Post fight interview, GSP and Diaz are next, WATCH THIS!!!

Superbowl wknd is gonna be specfriggintacular! Gsp vs Diaz and Silva vs Sonnen maybe? I keep hearing Sonnen self promote superbowl wknd as his fight with Silva. Man what a card that would be huh?

Peace,
spec
edit on 30-10-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Wanted to add this little piece with Fedor. Besides still having hope for Fedor, I thought this defense move against side mount was pretty cool, and I kept thinking Crocop could have used it last night. I have never seen the move and it is a testament to an evolving sport that adjusts to dominant moves, aka side mount Sonnen style ground n pound.
What do you think of the move, the arm under and slide out?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Haven't seen the fights yet but Penn broke his hand about 30 seconds into the 2nd. Penn has the skill but with the way the sport has evolved and the skill level now days 170 is just to big for him. He needs to go back to 155 if he wants to continue. He doesn't like cutting weight and the older you get the harder it is to cut weight so it all depends on his motivation to do so.

From the pictures I have seen both thier faces are messed up. I'll post more after I Watch the fights.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I saw that hawkiye, and it looks like Diaz was tilting his head so that Penn would strike his forehead. Yea, I'd imagine hitting Diaz's head is like hitting bricks. It makes sense because after that Penn seemed to lose steam. I still think his cardio was a factor. Nick's body punches were intense too, but a broken hand will surely stop you from using that hand. Too bad, cuz it could have made a difference. However, even without the broken hand, my bet was still Diaz because of his chin and abilities.
As always, thanks for chiming in.

spec

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Hey there fight fan friend, always good to hear your input! I only found out about GSP's knee yesterday! And the weigh in with Diaz and Penn, woah! Man, I'm sorry to hear bout Serizawa too and I wonder if he got banned in the chatroom,, where SO MANY have disappeared! Must be a real test of ego in there at times.

Actually no it wasn't in the chat room, I even started spending a little time in there it's an alright place. Have not seen anybody dissapear yet...But hey! you never know. I'f I go missing, send a search party for me will you.

Anyways! I'f you go to his profile he requested to be banned because he was tired of people not believing the footage of ufo's he put up....I don't know whats up, haven't spent that much time in the UFO section lately but he seemed pretty pissed and serious about it. So anyways ya! He decided to get banned.

Cro cop looked good at first, quick and elusive, but Roy kept coming forward and just overwhelmed Mirko. Mirko was never the same after the Gonzoga KO, where Crocop broke his knee/ankle falling down knocked out. You can watch the replay and see his foot facing backwards as he fell...yikes!

oh I remember that fight and the way he fell when gonzaga landed that head kick, his knee was at a wicked angle. If it was somebody else but cro cop, the dude is really flexible in his legs, it really could of ended the carer of that person.

But got to give props to roy nelson, the dude looked like he practiced his ass off...And it looked like he lost a lot of that gut, he must of lost a lot of weight for this fight...But ya don't let looks deceive you the dude is dead serious on what he is doing, and not somebody to take lightly in any fight, but then again no one is. Mirco though I hope he retires, like fedor and vanderlei there days seem to be behind them and all for different reasons.

wanderlei has just been in way to many fights and even bare knuckle anything goes fights and is to banged up to sustain any hard hits like he used to. Fedor looks like he lost the fire, at heart he is a simple dude and only really started fighting for his family, if he ever gets really serious he would be a thrashing machine again, but I don't think it's going to happen. And mirco, he is like that guy that keeps on going no matter how many times he gets knocked down. His whole carer has been like that from way back in K1 when he started fighting at 18 yr I think, he beat some good fighters was on a roll then all of a sudden got ko'd, and losing fights....But eventually he keeps coming back and ko'ing dudes again, and then loosing again in devastating ways. And that pretty much is his whole pattern throughout his entire carer.

I don't see him coming back to his old winning head knocking ways, not this time....But who knows we will see.

Penn and Diaz was as expected, a tough first round, but then BJ started gassing and the tri-athlete Diaz just beat him up after that.

Oh man you have no idea. Penn's weakness has always been his cardio, and so many others called this fight "bj is going run out of gas, Diaz by decision" I know diaz does the iron man marathons for fun, and to keep his weight down, the dude is 6 feet tall and could fight at 190 or even light heavy, if he wanted to.....But really I wanted to smack penn in that fight, I mean come on WTF I'f I was his trainer I would literally run his ass into the ground.....To not be ready in the cardio department against a guy who is known for his cardio, and keeping his pace and the pressure up....Dam, it's all I can say.

Still tough it was a good fight, and BJ could of won, but like they say could of, should of, didn't. All in all the fight delivered on what it promised.

So I hear GSP wants to go down to 155! This surprised me. It seems it would be easier to go up to 185 and challenge himself with better competition. I almost think he's avoiding the potential fight with Silva and/or Sonnen in the future. Maybe he wants to retire from this weight class with the belt. I think Diaz could take GSP and I hope they still fight.

First I heard of it, but ya if he is doing that it must be because he is avoiding other fighters....I don't know why, the dude ever since he became rich and famous is taking things way to cautious. But I think he has all the tools necessary to beat Diaz, and not only that but to completely shut down diaz's game, and even beat him down. But if his mind is not in the right place, that would make all the difference.

I watched the vid, and diaz is right, the drama is kind of overrated. I don't know why they always try to make him the bad guy, but whatever....Diaz is really a student of the art, if anybody is stupid enough to underestimate him. There sadly mistaken.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Oh I hope fedor gets his head and heart in the game again, really in his last fights it was his inability to change his style and use that dam jab....In this game no matter how good you are or how long you have been in, it is always adapting, and if you don't adapt with it you get left behind. It's something you have to always be a student in, because even though it looks easy and like all there doing is the same ol stuff, but in reality, it is not. And all the little things do matter, and change whole outcomes of fights.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I agree most people who even fight at 170 walk around at about 190 or even 200 pounds, and BJ was always a smaller fighter. And really I don't know whats up with him, but at the lighter weights he does not seem to run out of gas so quickly. So the weight gaining effects him a lot.

But you said it, I think the weight cut really would effect him as well...It seems BJ will always be stuck with a disadvantage in the weight department no matter what he does. If he stays at that weight it seems to slow him down, but if he tries to cut. The process will exhaust him and he will still be effected in his cardio department either way. It's literally a lose-lose situation for him. He has gotten to old to cut weight like it was a walk in the park.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

So what do think of that little move Fedor is trying on the side mount in that vid?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird
reply to post by hawkiye

I agree most people who even fight at 170 walk around at about 190 or even 200 pounds, and BJ was always a smaller fighter. And really I don't know whats up with him, but at the lighter weights he does not seem to run out of gas so quickly. So the weight gaining effects him a lot.

But you said it, I think the weight cut really would effect him as well...It seems BJ will always be stuck with a disadvantage in the weight department no matter what he does. If he stays at that weight it seems to slow him down, but if he tries to cut. The process will exhaust him and he will still be effected in his cardio department either way. It's literally a lose-lose situation for him. He has gotten to old to cut weight like it was a walk in the park.

I never seen him gas at 155.... he has always been strong there even in 5 round bouts. He beat the holy hell out of Diego for 5 rounds and Diego has endless cardio.

I finally was able to watch the fight and he did not look gassed to me. It's like he shut down in the second right around the time he supposedly broke his hand. It just looked weird to me not how he normally looks when gassed. Of course then he started taking a lot of shots and was hardly throwing anything back but he did not look hurt or anything. In the 3rd he came back and was still tagging Diaz but Diaz was also continuing to tag him.

So I don't know maybe the hand was just giving him to much pain till it started to numb out by the 3rd. Both of thier faces looked like hamburger after the fight.

edit on 30-10-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

You talking about the escape from the bottom I take it? I think its risky against bigger fighters and especially ground fighters like monson.

I think he tried it against silva and it didn't work, tough silva was in full mount and messed him up good. But it should be easier to escape against monson if he ends up in the same situation in the side mount or the full mount. The dude is not as big over all, but he is dam ripped and strong as hell if he gets on top of you. He is not that tall or big length wise but with his compact body and compact strength if fedor messes up on his timing, it will be all over for him.

I just don't think bridging and trying to shift monson is going to be as easy as doing it to that dude he is practicing with. All monson needs to do is shift his weight with him to always stay on top of fedor.

I think he is practicing escaping the same hold monson finished his old training partner with. If monson gets on top it's to be expected that he will try it.

Really I think fedor should focus on his stand up in this fight, one things he needs to do is change his instinct of swinging his punches. It will lead him into trouble agaist many other fighter now a days, in fact there expecting it. Really the jab is underutilized in mma and he needs to learn to use it to create openings without always relying on his instinct and quickness to get him out of trouble. Because as we see it wont always work.

In fact i think he should go practice with nick diaz and his team, just to learn a different beat. It's always good to switch it up now and then.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I think Fedor will smash Monson. Fedors stand up is way better then Monsons and his ground game is excellent also. Monson is a journeymen and Fedor should handle him fairly easily. Monson will try to get it to the ground or he'll get beat up on the feet.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

He looked gassed as in the gassed that you get when you get hit in the body and your energy gets drained. I didn't know he broke his hand, so ya that definitely played a part in his inaction against Diaz in the second and third round. If he could of continued doing what he was doing in the first round, for 3 rounds straight then he would of won.

I don't remember which fight it was but i remember him fighting at 155 a while ago, years after the diago fight I think, and he looked drained from the weight cut. I just don't think he can do it as easily as he did it a couple of years ago...Or maybe he just got lazy, but he has always been lazy when cutting weight... who knows, but something is definitely not going right for him.

I got to say I think he just likes eating and cant sustain staying always at light weight.

If you watched the fight he had against machida in japan years ago, I think he was at around 200 pounds or something, really i think he just sat on his ass and ate cheeseburgers to get up to that weight, because from what I remember he looked chubby in that fight.

Who knows whats going trough BJ Penns head, but I think he will be back when he got's it figured out.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

It's about the same as I see it. Really there is nothing keeping fedor from smashing monson....Monson is dangerous on the ground, but so is fedor. So even if it goes to the ground he will still most likely come out on top.

I have a hard time seeing monson beating fedor. Even in the sate he is now a days coming of losses, and possibly not having his head and heart in the right place....But then again maybe he is more motivated then ever...We will see.
edit on 31-10-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join