It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Mixed Martial Arts Fans Here?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Realm52

Yea, I hope the Nevada commission goes easy on him. A year suspension is a little over the top, but at the same time, a fighter has a responsibility too. I bet he will still get to fight, if he chooses so, by this summer before GSP returns. I really hope Nick doesn't retire, and I don't think he will turn down mucho dinero.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Best Diaz interview I've seen, thought some here my dig it.

I can tell Nick is thinking before he speaks and to me that is a sign of maturity. I still hope he doesn't retire, but the Nevada ruling on his THC test may turn him away from the sport.

spec

ETA: Update:

[UPDATED] NSAC Head Says Diaz Could Have Applied for Therapeutic Use Exemption for Med Cannabis

www.cagepotato.com...
edit on 17-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

It seem he is trying to mimic anderson style somewhat but I think his opponent is way outmatched which makes him look better then he actually is. But the dude seems game if he ever ends up at one of the bigger shows like in the ufc we will see.

Plus even anderson silva would not fight with his hands down like that again some fighter because he will get ko'd, its all on a fight by fight basis and what works against fighter A will more often then not__ Not work on fighter B, or fighter C and so on. But anderson has a habit of fighting with his hands down, and will sometimes just straight up take punches to mess with dudes heads.

Cant find or link it now because I'm using the PS3 to surf the net and its a pain to link or type things without a keyboard. But there are some vids of him out there during practice and also sparing with boxers were he does exactly that, it'sinteresting to watch anderson play with them and there reactions to it.
But with the 5oz mma gloves on and against some fighters you best believe he will keep those hands up.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Seen imanari fight a couple of times, but in terms of leg locks I would go with Palhares as not only being better but definitely way stronger. Just look at the guy he aint that tall but for his height he is all muscle, and he does have the technical skills as well.

One thing about leg locks is that I am pretty sure there banned in jiu jitsu competitions due to the fact that there dangerous and can mess an opponents leg and knee up for life. It was in one of the UFC's that happened not that long ago were a guy got caught in a leg lock, in fact I am pretty sure it was one of Palhares fights were he destroyed some fighters knee with a leg lock.

So ya poor guy is going to have to get surgery and even then he will feel it for life probably. In fact I think that is one of the reasons Bas Rutten retired his knees were jacked up , and if I remember corectly it was one or both of the shamrock brothers that got him in a leg lock and messed his knee up. I think it was frank shamrock in one of the old pankration fights they had in japan.

But ya leg lock are not something to take lightly if you wish to avoid walking with a cane way before your age.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Nick does like his weed, I personaly think that its his life so whatever. But as far as weed being a sports inhancer
I dont know man, it probably in some ways does help I can see it helping in keeping you calm and having a regular heartbeat in tense situations which diaz does seem to have.

But on the other side of the scale it makes you slow, lethargic, and outside his fighting patterns it makes his reaction time slow. Which from his last fight you could see that he couldn't disengage from his old pattern and get up or even chase and corner Condit down, which now that I think about it could be one of the reasons why he always tries to provoke fighters into attacking him, and getting in his tempo.

Personaly I hope and dont think he will retire from mma, especially doing boxing. I really dont think trying to do both sports at the same time professionally is a good idea even if he can. Because of the simple fact that some of the things you need to get used to in boxing will contradict and trip you up in mma. And some of the things in mma will contradict and trip you up in boxing, and not just the rules but the whole way you have fight and get used to is sublimely minisculy totally different.

And for the fact that nick in my opinion is way more dangerous on the ground with his jiu jitsu then he is in picking apart dudes with his boxing. I still think that if he would still be more of a danger to gsp then Condit will be because of style wise matchup and because I dont see gsp being able to control him on the ground for long periods of times like he does with everybody else. I'f he tries that game soner or latter in a 5rd match he will slip and nick will capitalize, in fact I see it as more of a stand up battle between the two, with short periods on ground.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Seen imanari fight a couple of times, but in terms of leg locks I would go with Palhares as not only being better but definitely way stronger. Just look at the guy he aint that tall but for his height he is all muscle, and he does have the technical skills as well.

I don't know man, did you watch the vid? Imanari can get the leg locks better I think, from any position, but yea Phalares would scare me in a fight cuz he doesn't leg lock to win only, I can tell he likes to hurt people, There have been a few instances that the guy tapped and Phalares continued to crank, and as you say, the heel crank destroys ligaments to the knee, and does permanent damage to a point beyond repair. I don't think people realize the extent of injury from this move, I didn't.
But you gotta love Imanari's ability to obtain a leg lock, and I hope to see him in the ufc at some point.
As always, I appreciate your input my man

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Here's a recent vid of Anderson Silva toying with Ryan Bader. Another thing that makes Silva a champion is his chin. He took Sonnens' best shots in that fight and basically went unfazed. He knows how to absorb punishment for sure.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I watched Anderson's documentary and it was really good. I recommend watching it as it shows more of his personality.

I have always been a fan of martial arts so when people hate on Anderson or Machida not engaging it proves to me their ignorance in the knowledge of the sport. Sometimes brute power wins, but thats not what martial arts are about.

Good night of fights last night. Really upset by Rampage but if he was injured that would have explained it. Surprised nobody has posted about it yet.

Pred...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Hey friend, I'm going to watch that doc tonight.
Yea I hated seeing Rampage lose too, but it sounds like he had a significant knee injury. I think Rampage would have won otherwise. He needs to make his game complete by practicing from the guard position more.

I loved that Pettis kick and I look forward to him and Bendo mixing it up in the future.

Boesch made a good comeback too, but he needs to improve his cardio imo. Okami has a nasty jab and is ever improving, but those uppercuts from Boesch were awesome the way he held his head with the other hand.

Glad to see Hunt get a win. I have always thought he was one of the toughest dudes around.

Hatsu Hioki was impressive, I have never heard of him, but he's definitely got skills!

Franki/Henderson played out like I expected, and I do think Bendo won legitimately. Man he was huge compared to Frankie! That up kick was sweet too!

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
A little Fedor 'Sweet Roll' for ya, at 1:40

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I just had a feeling Bader was going to beat Rampage! good on him,

“Good round for Bader. Rampage has never been the smartest fighter,” Henderson tweeted

“@danhendo I was smart enough 2 take your belt,” Jackson responded.
www.5thround.com...

How about Mark hunt finishing Kongo as fast as he did?
what a tank!
www.allthebestfights.com...

This has to be one of the best K1 fights ever, and they're both from New Zealand!

Talk about chins made of steel, he's a prime example of why people over here call islanders "coconut-heads"
your fist would hurt more than his face

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Realm52

WHat a war!! Their attitude too is awesome, pure warrior spirit...with a kiss! hell I'm not gonna question their manhood, are you?!?!
Thanks for the addition friend, I have never seen that one, and yea, Hunt is one of the toughest humans alive me thinks!
I have seen him take more punishment and remain unfazed, than any other fighter. Coconut head? ha, sounds about right, literally! And I though C. Leban had a hard head!

I am glad to see him back in the mix o things.
That vid made my head hurt!

Reminds me of the old Don Frye fight:

edit on 28-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
So what's everyone think of Ronda Rousey? I'm not a big fan of her, mostly because Sarah Kaufman is a former teammate of mine. "Let the pretty girls fight." Jesus are we still only giving value to females who are physically attractive? I do take everything Rousey says with a grain of salt. She is brain damaged after all.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

Hey Buddha1098, I think Ronda is a great fighter and has earned her way to where she is now. I did cringe a bit when she applied that armbar, but that's her signature move and it works for her. I also like her Judo skills, and think she is well rounded. I think that fight helped draw more fans and fighters to women's mma.

Brain damage? I did not know. Ahhh, at birth, and she has been dealing with it her whole life. I bet her challenges in life, including father's suicide, have made her strong, on many levels, and it doesn't seem to affect her fighting ability. She is well spoken imo and will be a formidable fighter in the mix of things. (until the Cyborg returns!)

spec

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

Love Ronda all business. Zuffa hands out bonuses for selling fights. Ronda managed to sell the fight into the first WMMA match to headline an event in a major promotion. Lots of firsts for Ronda. First American woman to medal in judo at the Olympics. Also has won two gold medals at the world Judo championships. If that is brain damage whats your accomplishments or excuses for being outdone by a 24 year old woman? She seems like a pretty smart chick to me...

I was impressed with Sarah's striking but she still took a lot of damage. Her and Davis was one of the best womens technical stand up fights I have seen. Davis could have beat her though had she taken her down in the earlier rounds. However Ronda is collecting arms and I suspect she'll collect Sarahs too when the time comes.
edit on 7-3-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
How do ya'll think Dos Santos VS Overeem will play out?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

First of all Cyborg vs Carano was the first women's MMA fight to headline an event at a major promotion.

Second, I didn't say Ronda wasn't a good judoka. I said she's an idiot. She sells fights by being petulant, and arrogant. She accuses Cyborg of having a penis, she calls Sarah Kaufman ugly, she thinks she could beat up Bryan Caraway etc.

I'm speculating perhaps some of her behavioral problems stem from her childhood brain damage.

And yes Ronda is a far more successful Athlete than I'll ever be, I'll console myself by being the much better Human being.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098
reply to post by hawkiye

First of all Cyborg vs Carano was the first women's MMA fight to headline an event at a major promotion.

Second, I didn't say Ronda wasn't a good judoka. I said she's an idiot. She sells fights by being petulant, and arrogant. She accuses Cyborg of having a penis, she calls Sarah Kaufman ugly, she thinks she could beat up Bryan Caraway etc.

I'm speculating perhaps some of her behavioral problems stem from her childhood brain damage.

And yes Ronda is a far more successful Athlete than I'll ever be, I'll console myself by being the much better Human being.

Oh yeah shes an idiot alright compared to what? Someone like you who can't tell the difference of gamesmanship for selling a fight from real life? Yeah real stupid of her to drum up interest in her fight get the bonus from Zuffa and raise her stock... I bet you think Chael Sonnen is serious too. And please stop lying your brain damage comment was a pure insult with intent nothing more... Sigh!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

She's an idiot compared to someone like GSP, who realizes you can be driven to succeed and still treat people with kindness and respect. She's an Idiot compared to Nick Diaz who sells fights before hand, and moves on when they are over.

She's not selling the fight when she's asked if she regrets injuring Tate and she says no. She's not selling the fight after its over when she says she can beat up Bryan Caraway (UFC veteran and Meisha Tate's boyfriend). I don't think she's selling anything here. That's just who she is.

Did you see the prefight video when she was asked what she'd do for plan B if the armbar didnt work and she looked at the reporter like she was going armbar him? That isn't a normal reaction to an honest question.

That's why I again question whether the areas of her brain that control emotion were damaged in her childhood. My bringing up her brain damage isn't an insult, it's giving her the benefit of the doubt.
edit on 8-3-2012 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

Hey JROCK, man I think Dos Santos will KO him! Santos is quick and elusive, so I don't think he'll be clinching too much. Now if Overeem gets a hold of him, or can keep him on the ground, it may be different. I am unsure about Overeem's chin, but I do know JR can knock a mofo out, just ask Valasquez.

I am looking forward to the war....

Peace,
spec

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join