It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Burn a Bible Day

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
This is not a proposal of mine nor is it something that is currently being proposed. I am simply asking what you think about this? How do you believe Christians would respond?

As most of us know about a church in Florida where they have declared 'International Burn a Koran Day', I just wonder what they would think if there was an 'International Burn a Bible Day'. I highly doubt they would take too kindly to that.

They either need to stop their ignorance or learn the lesson of what it feels like when others attack religion. Christianity in America does not know what it is like to have to fight against any other beliefs, they would not know how to handle such an event.

This is America.

I am a Christian.

If people want to have an "International Burn the Bible" day, there are no laws prohibiting that.

Do I have to like it? Absolutley not.
Do I have to respect the freedom of others to do as they want as long as they obey the laws of the land? Absolutely yes.

Freedom is freedom. It means that everyone, even those that may hate something you do/are, has equal rights to exist how they please.

GBD

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Wow......I would think anyone of any faith would consider this sort of thing out of bounds. We may all disagree but the message is all the same or it is supposed to be. I am an energy believer I think the energy in the universe is the mind of God and that all things are part of that energy. Does that mean I should be hunted down by the Christians. Of course not but will they, at some point I expect holy water to get thrown on me.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I think that's an awesome idea. People in America need to wake up to their own hypocrisy, and if it takes the sweet aroma of holy smoke to do it, burn away. Where do I sign up?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
If someone wished to burn bibles I would not care for it, but it is their right to do so. I would voice my dislike, but I can assure you I would not act
towards them with violence.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
International Burn a Bible day would be just another sentence in the polarisation of societies and the associated heightening of hatred and mistrust. The need for people to hate others is often spurred on by those in power who have an agenda and where hatred and mistrust is the central to their control of that poewer.

People don’t usually do things independently. They don’t get out of bed and say “oh, I hate the US so I’ll go down to the market and burn a flag / effigy of Bush / Clinton / Carter et al”. No, what happens is more manipulative and it centres on the mob being stirred up by people who know precisely what they are doing and what buttons to push.

Whether the burning is:
> Books - Hitler, Mao, Stalin and any number of dictators
> People - every country through history has burned their heretics, agitators and inconvenient undesirables and some still do, at least metaphorically speaking (China and Iran to name but two)
> Flags - e.g. the Stars and Stripes every time someone wants a “Big Satan”
> The Koran - Christians who hate (is that an oxymoron)?
> The Bible - atheists who think they are being smart and Muslims who hate.

… the outcome is just the same. People getting more indoctrinated, controlled and more manipulated.

Regards

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Doesn't bother me, or I should say like any symbolic gesture i.e. flag burning, I don't take it personally.

By the way,

www.blasphemychallenge.com...

Doesn't work that way.

Mark 3:29 (King James Version)

29But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

It's impossible for someone who doesn't believe in the Holy Spirit to blaspheme against it in this context. In order for this to apply, you have to believe, with no doubts, in the Holy Spirit with your heart and soul, and blaspheme against it anyway.

Ergo, a non-believer's immortal soul is in no jeopardy from this exercise.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Do we need to go back in history to remember what kind of person it takes to burn books of any kind?

You're not proposing it, but I'm sure, after everything I have seen you say, that you wouldn't be against it.

Here's a lighter, enjoy walking the same footsteps as Hitler.

Edit to Add~

I was like you when I was 18. I didn't believe in anything other than my own power. But the more I study religions of the world, the more I study science and attempt to comprehend the world around me, the stronger my faith gets. I used to think I was being open minded for rejecting God and absorbing secular ideas. I used to think it was the cool thing to do. Now I realize that it isn't God I had a problem with, or even religion, but it's misuse and misunderstanding.

One day, you will understand what i am saying and perhaps you will have faith in something other than yourself.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

The LIVING Bible isn't called that just cause it sounds catchy. And regardless what version of the Book you have, God's Word is alive.

Thank you Silo13...

Being a Christian Mystic ..the Bible led me to have direct experiences of God and Divine realities. Were all the Bibles to disappear of the face of the earth and internet tomorrow ......there are enough of those who are experiencing direct divine revelations to continue to spread the word.....

...the Bible even says in the last days people with destroy bibles, kill Christians.....

Also as Jesus says ...."Forgive them Father ...they know not what they do." I wouldn't be offended. I would just automatically forgive Bible burners because I would know that its the ego in them that causes them to burn it from lack of understanding. The ego is Evil ...but the Soul is good.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

As a Christian, I say you can go ahead and burn your own bible if you own it if you really want. I really don't see the purpose though. Do you think you're proving something? I think burning any book, whether it's a Bible, Koran, or To Kill a Mockingbird is really unproductive and pointless.

Besides, if there was a mass athiest-perpetuated burning of Bibles, it would only seem like a sort of revenge for the Bonfire of the Vanities, in which case, aren't you pefectly justified godless people supposed to be above? I mean, COME ON! I thought you were supposed to be so intelligent, educated, mature, and unenslaved that something as trivial and primitive as revenge and "proving a point through spectacle" was below you?

Perhaps I have misinterpreted the atheist as not an intellectual who only saw religion's bad side, but rather a radical sore and bitter being out to do nothing other than to attempt to cause controversy.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

I would not be opposed to Atheists burning the bible, I wouldn't partake though. And that was not what I was proposing in this thread, while I do hate religion I would not waste my time doing that. I have more constructive things to do.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

As most of us know about a church in Florida where they have declared 'International Burn a Koran Day', I just wonder what they would think if there was an 'International Burn a Bible Day'. I highly doubt they would take too kindly to that.

They either need to stop their ignorance or learn the lesson of what it feels like when others attack religion. Christianity in America does not know what it is like to have to fight against any other beliefs, they would not know how to handle such an event.

I just read thru 2 pages of people not reading what you posted. A couple did, but that's it.

Very hypocritical of the church to want to burn the Koran, they would be very upset if the bible was burned. The Christian religion is very intolerant of other people's beliefs, always have been, always will be.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Misoir

Do we need to go back in history to remember what kind of person it takes to burn books of any kind?

I was not suggesting to burn any books, while I would not oppose the idea I would not partake in burning my Bible. It is a literary masterpiece even though it is all lies.

You're not proposing it, but I'm sure, after everything I have seen you say, that you wouldn't be against it.

Here's a lighter, enjoy walking the same footsteps as Hitler.

So you jump from saying I am not that bad to comparing me to Hitler? How offensive!

Edit to Add~

I was like you when I was 18. I didn't believe in anything other than my own power. But the more I study religions of the world, the more I study science and attempt to comprehend the world around me, the stronger my faith gets. I used to think I was being open minded for rejecting God and absorbing secular ideas. I used to think it was the cool thing to do. Now I realize that it isn't God I had a problem with, or even religion, but it's misuse and misunderstanding.

I am merely a single person within the bounds of the laws of nature inside an ever changing world of perpetual complexity and diversity beyond our imaginations, I have no power in this world at all. It always comes back to the age factor, I understand that most people my age who are involved in alternative ideas are usually rebelling against authority but trust me I am not, I prefer deep analysis and critical thought to impulsive emotional reaction.

Whoever said it was a 'cool thing to do'? I am not being an Atheist for fame, recognition or attention. While I would agree that most people who are Atheist/Agnostic are that based upon anger, rebellion or other impulsive emotions, I am not.

I do have a problem with both god and religion, it is the cause of many ailments in our world. Besides that fact that it is scientifically and historically incorrect and deeply flawed and lacking of any proof, it is a danger to society. We are being held back from technological, scientific and evolutionary advancement due to Bronze Age myths held as truth based upon mere faith.

The beliefs of ignorant, indoctrinated and misinformed people whom make up the majority have the ability to hold the minority hostage to their beliefs and practices. Thus enslaving us to continue on a path where science is not allowed to advance to cure diseases, clone humans and receive funding for further exploration into 'controversial' theories. Enslaving us into a time of social struggle where basic human rights through equality, liberty and opportunity are denied and outlawed due to primitive beliefs and practices.

One day, you will understand what i am saying and perhaps you will have faith in something other than yourself.

Because you failed to understand that true concept of Atheism does not mean I have, you were acting upon hormonal impulsive emotions and a thrill for rebellion against established tradition and authority whereas I am acting upon rational thought.

Faith is merely a nice word to say blissfully ignorant of natural law, scientific enquiry and truth. Establish my beliefs on emotion, personal thought and personal concepts. I am sorry, but faith is simply not something I could possible subscribe to on a clear conscience.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Faith is merely a nice word to say blissfully ignorant of natural law, scientific enquiry and truth. Establish my beliefs on emotion, personal thought and personal concepts. I am sorry, but faith is simply not something I could possible subscribe to on a clear conscience.

Faith is belief without absolute proof. Are you saying there's nothing you believe that hasn't been absolutely proven?

I wish you the best. I'd be really interested to see how that whole denial of faith concept works for you after (for example) marriage and a kid or two. I'm not speaking exclusively about spiritual faith. You'll have no frame of reference for what I mean until you've been through it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Lots of fairy tale books getting burned lately, personally i think you guys should also burn "Twilight" when you burn your koran and your bibles.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You said it so well. I have not understood why people make such a fuss about the book. It can be replaced and the Word lives on in our hearts. The Word is so much more than a book, words, and letters on a page. Those who do not understand what I am saying will not until they are in the same frame of mind.

Raist

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

While your OP was well put and thoughtful, it seems as though you didn't like the responses from the Christians and let your emotions take over your rationality. I would think you would be relived by the rational posts instead of being disappointed that they didn't all freak out.

As a lover of all books (except maybe Twilight
) Fahrenheit 451 would be my worst nightmare. A book itself can do no harm, its people in whom you need to be afraid.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

My friend you know very little about natural law and how that concept became known to mankind.

If you're going to throw those term around, at least know what they mean. I recommend the book "50 Questions on the Natural Law: What it is & Why we Need it". Written by Charles Rice and published by Ignatius.

Please do read this book. and keep an open mind.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

This is not a proposal of mine nor is it something that is currently being proposed. I am simply asking what you think about this? How do you believe Christians would respond?

And i thought liberals were suppose to be all peace lovers and crap but yet they want to go burn the bible.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I don't understand your grievance against Christians compared to your Pro Muslim stance.

So Christians are hypocrites, and Muslims are not?

Strange battle for an Atheist to fight

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Don't burn bibles.

If anything, have an International Recycle A Bible Day.

Same message, and more eco-friendly.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join